Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP
Not a Homework Question?
How JustAnswer Works:
Ask an Expert
Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
Get a Professional Answer
Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
Ask follow up questions if you need to.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris M. Your Own Question
M.S.W. Social Work
Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Type Your Homework Question Here...
Chris M. is online now
1. Verbal irony occurs in a story whenA. what is said is
1. Verbal irony occurs in a story when
A. what is said is the opposite of what is meant.
B. the writer uses rhyme to tell the story.
C. the central idea contradicts the title.
D. the drama has a happy ending.
2. In a story or play, the force that’s in conflict with the
protagonist may be another person, an aspect of the
physical or social environment, or even a destructive
force within the protagonist’s own self. This conflicting
force is referred to as the
A. antithesis. C. minor character.
B. antagonist. D. paradox.
3. In an allegory, there’s a
A. protagonist who fails to achieve what he or she sets out
B. surprise ending based on ironic circumstances.
C. second meaning to the surface action.
D. conflicting force to deal with.
The rising action of a typical short story
A. usually includes some form of irony.
B. is a series of events before the climax.
C. illustrates the character of the protagonist.
D. describes the surrounding environment.
5. Some writers are accused of using sentimentality to elicit a reaction in their readers.
Sentimentality can be described as
A. dramatic irony. C. denouement.
B. internal rhyme. D. contrived emotion.
6. Which one of the following phrases contains a simile?
A. With the snow blowing into his face (“Hunters in the Snow”)
B. The stump of a lightning-charred tree (“The Most Dangerous Game”)
C. My skin like an undercooked barley pancake (“Everyday Use”)
D. Standing up at a jaunty angle (“A Good Man Is Hard to Find”)
7. A particular character’s inherent nature, along with external _______, will cause her to
behave as she does.
A. personification C. narration
B. irony D. motivation
8. You’ve probably read at least one story that pulled you in and kept you reading until
the very end. The quality in a good story that makes you eager to know what happens
next and how the story will end is referred to as
A. irony. C. sentimentality.
B. structure. D. suspense
9. Readers are sometimes asked to paraphrase a poem or story. In other words, they’re
asked to retell the poem or story so that they understand the theme of the work. What
is meant by theme?
A. The character’s point of view
B. The context of the story or poem
C. The rising action and climax of the work
D. The central insight of the work
10. In a short story, the falling action can be described as the
A. turning point of a plot.
B. unresolved conflict.
C. section between the climax and the conclusion.
D. beginning plot manipulation.
11. If you were to diagram the plot of a story, the climax would be
A. part of the rising action. C. the beginning.
B. part of the falling action. D. the high point.
12. As opposed to flat characters, who have only one or two traits, round characters
A. are stereotyped.
B. are complex and many-sided.
C. remain the same throughout the story.
D. serve as the protagonists.
13. In “Everyday Use,” why does Dee ask for the churn top?
A. She wants to learn to churn.
B. She knows her sister wants it, too.
C. She wants to use it as a centerpiece.
D. She considers it part of her heritage.
14. What pronoun would be used for the narrator(s) of a story such as “A Rose for Emily,”
which is written in the first-person, plural point of view?
A. I C. We
B. You D. He
15. In the dramatic point of view, the author
A. writes in the first person.
B. records but can’t interpret what he or she records.
C. speaks through only one character.
D. uses stream of consciousness.
16. The plot of a commercial work of fiction is typically
C. fast-paced and entertaining.
D. designed to make readers think.
17. As Rainsford is swimming toward Ship-Trap Island in “The Most Dangerous Game,” he
hears a scream, which foretells events to come. What is the scream?
A. The general when he loses his dog Lazarus
B. A jaguar being killed
C. A man killing a dog
D. A man being killed by General Zaroff
18. Which of these stories uses the dramatic point of view?
A. “Hunters in the Snow” C. “Bartleby the Scrivener”
B. “The Most Dangerous Game” D. “A Rose for Emily”
19. In the story “Interpreter of Maladies,” why did Mr. Kapasi begin to work as an
interpreter in the doctor’s office?
A. He wished to console his wife.
B. He enjoyed meeting new people.
C. His work at the grammar school wasn’t satisfying.
D. He was saving money to become a diplomat.
20. Suspense is provided in “The Most Dangerous Game” by
A. Zaroff’s recognizing Rainsford’s name from his book on snow leopards in Tibet.
B. Zaroff’s background in Russia.
C. Whitney’s talk of the reputation of Ship-Trap Island.
D. the sound of the sea breaking on the rocky shore.
21. In the story “Roman Fever,” why does Mrs. Slade send Mrs. Ansley a forged letter?
A. To test if Mrs. Ansely loves Delphin
B. To test her fiancé
C. To get Mrs. Ansley out of the way for a while
D. To kill Mrs. Ansley
22. In Faulkner’s story “A Rose for Emily,” what happens to Homer Barron?
A. Emily poisons him. C. He deserts her.
B. He dies of natural causes. D. He marries her secretly.
23. Who is
3 years ago.
Share this conversation
replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You need to spend $3 to view this post.
to your account and buy credits.
Ask Your Own Homework Question
Share this conversation
Related Homework Questions
Translate the sentence below into English. Pienso que nunca
I need help with my pre-exam for Penn high school this is
Wiz of All
NOT GLENN NOR F. NAZ PLEASE In the story titled "Macbeth" by
Exam Number: 986159RR
Need help with a couple assignment questions
FOR LogicPro Only, I have another database question. Its a
Read the Funeral Oration of Pericles in the Ancient History
Ineed help with chemstry exams, i have a few exams that i
Were can i get the answers to the questions 1 0f 20
Do you have chapter 16 springdale shopping survey answer
Ask a Tutor
Get a Professional Answer. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
25 Tutors are Online Now
Type Your Homework Question Here...
Terms of Service
Privacy & Security
© 2003-2017 JustAnswer LLC