R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Experience:  B.Tech
20870358

Trace the Scientific Method: Refer to the Syllabus for the

Trace the Scientific Method: Refer to the Syllabus for the full assignment. You will read the assigned article posted in Reserved Readings. You will then look at this article in relation to what you know about the scientific method. Answer the 6 questions in the Project Description. Make sure your answers show that you understand the steps of the scientific method.

Researchers recently investigated (see summary in http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100609111316.htm) in laboratory mice whether or not coffee prevented the development of high blood sugar (hyperglycemia). The mice used in this experiment have a mutation that makes them become diabetic. (In the original paper*, the investigators acknowledged that the coffee for the experiment was supplied as a gift from a corporation).

The full reference is available in the Reserved Readings. * Yamauchi et al. (2010). Coffee and caffeine ameliorate hyperglycemia, fatty liver, and inflammatory adipocytokine expression in spontaneously diabetic KK-Ay mice. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 58 (9), 5597-5603. May 12, PMID: 20405946, ISSN: 1520-5118.

A group of 11 mice was given water and another group of 10 mice was supplied with diluted black coffee (coffee:water 1:1) as drinking fluids for five weeks. The composition of the diets and living conditions were similar for both groups of mice. Blood glucose was monitored weekly for all mice. After five weeks, there was no change in average body weight between groups. Results indicated that blood glucose concentrations increased significantly in the mice that drank water compared with those that were supplied with coffee. Finally, blood glucose concentration in the coffee group exhibited a 30 percent decrease compared with that in the water group.

Make sure you clearly label and answer all of these questions in your paper. In addition, clearly label and discuss all the steps in the scientific method.

1. What was the hypothesis of this experiment? (Reminder: Hypothesis is a statement.) What question(s) was (were) the investigator asking?

2. Which is the control group? Why?

3. Which is the treatment group? Why?

4. Did the researchers follow the scientific method in their experimental design? Explain.

5. Do you think that there may be any possible biases or other problems in this experiment? Explain.

6. Based on the data, was the hypothesis supported, and what can you conclude from this experiment?

Welcome! I'm RRJha and I'd be glad to help with your question. Please confirm that you need answers to only those six questions as listed above.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, only those questions
Ok, I'll work on them and get back to you within an hour or so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It needs to be 2 pages in APA format. Obviously I will not use it word for word as I just need the basis but just to let you know. Thanks!

I'm not sure the answers would span two pages, but it sure would give you the required ideas in case you're preparing the report. I hope that's fine with you.
Please download answer below

https://app.box.com/s/y3aae0h1lihijb9ko2ha

Please leave a rating.

Let me know anytime you need help with other questions. Just add 'For RRJha' at the start of your question and I'll get back to you.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a question, is there a way I can get it more detailed and more in depth?

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.