Matrix
Matrix, Tutor
Experience:  Masters

You have been asked to write a report for a group of new stock

You have been asked to write a report for a group of new stock brokers about the NYSE-Euronext and the NASDAQ.
Visit both the NYSE Homepage, and the NASDAQ Homepage, and write a paper of 2–3 pages on how the two exchanges operate. Make sure to address the following three questions:
How are NYSE and NASDAQ similar, if at all?
How are the two exchanges different from one another, if at all?
What is The Public Company Accounting and Investor Protection Act of 2002? Describe the law in your own words.
You may first want to create an outline to determine the information you want to include before you actually start writing the report.
Assignment Guidelines:
Using the links in the assignment description, research the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations (NASDAQ).
Answer the 3 questions listed in the assignment description.
Compile your answers into a Word document of 2–3 pages.
Provide a list in APA format of all sources used and insert any necessary in-text quotations.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Matrix replied 9 months ago.
Thanks...Gary...I am working on this...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Awesome thank you. Would you like some old papers for inspiration?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Here is some old answers if you want to draw from them.

Visit both the NYSE Homepage, and the NASDAQ Homepage, and write a paper of 2â?"3 pages on how the two exchanges operate. Make sure to address the following three questions:
The NYSE and the NASDAQ are similar because of several reasons. Both are stock exchanges where equity is traded. Both, the NYSE and the NASDAQ provide increased marketability and ease of financing for the companies listed in those exchanges. In addition, the companies that are listed in each of NYSE and the NASDAQ inspire greater confidence in their customers, employees, and investors. Both, the NYSE and the NASDAQ enable transactions of shares and provides liquidity to the shares of companies. Both the exchanges allow shareholders to select the shares they want to buy and made the transactions. These exchanges are similar because they provide an insight into the economic activity in the country. Further, NYSE and the NASDAQ enable the shareholders to partake of the profits of firms from the economic activity. Both the NYSE and the NASDAQ use information technology for automated trading, and faster operation of the stock exchanges. The two exchanges impose certain listing requirements on the companies and this helps instill a degree of discipline on the companies listed on the two exchanges.
NYSE and the NASDAQ are different from one another because of several reasons. First, the size, according to 2009 figures, the market capitalization of shares listed on the NYSE was $19.2 trillion. Whereas, the market capitalization of shares listed on the NASDAQ was $3.7 trillion. So, the NASDAQ is a relatively smaller exchange. The other difference is that NYSE also allows an open outcry system that is operated by trading specialists. On the other hand the NASDAQ is purely a computer network based system. The other difference is the history of the two exchanges. NYSE started way back in 1792, whereas the NASDAQ was started in 1971. The difference is that the NASDAQ was started as a purely electronic stock exchange.
In the NYSE there are auction based transactions. It has seven specialist firm, and the traders meet on the floor of the exchange using person to person, electronic orders, or telephone order system. The auction results in the buying or selling of shares. On the other hand the NASDAQ has 300 market makers that use the electronic system to carry out transactions. The main difference is that in case of the NYSE, the specialist becomes an auctioneer, agent for investors, create interest in some securities, and rectifies imbalance between demand and supply. On the other hand the market makers of NASDAQ are investment firms that maintain inventories of securities and sell them to customers and other dealers. The market makers are required to give both a bid and ask price. There is more than one market maker for each stock.
The Public Company Accounting and Investor Protection Act of 2002 is commonly called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Essentially, the law was formulated in the aftermath of corporate accounting scams in which the US investors were losing faith in the securities market. To prevent an exodus of investors from the stock markets and to maintain the health of the stock exchanges, The Public Company Accounting and Investor Protection Act of 2002 was passed.
Since, the public and law makers were shocked by the scandals of Enron and WorldCom where off balance-sheet items were used to commit frauds, Section 401 set down requirements for disclosures in the off balance sheet items. Further, as during these scams there was a collapse of internal control, Section 404 required the management and the outside auditor to assess and report on the internal control of the companies. As during these accounting scams misleading financial statements were published, section 302 sets down strong internal procedures to ensure that accurate financial disclosure was made. During the Enron scam investigation, its auditors Arthur Andersen actually shredded and destroyed evidence. To prevent such occurrences in future, Sec 802 imposes criminal penalties for violations, mutilation, cover ups, and concealments of evidence. The act encourages whistle blowing and so Section 1107 imposes penalties for retaliation against whistle blowers. The Public Company Accounting and Investor Protection Act of 2002 sets up the PCAOB to oversee the enforcement, addresses the issue of auditor independence, and increases corporate responsibility.
References:
www.wisegeek.com/what-is-nasdaq.htm - www.estockwise.com/estockwise.../nasdaq-definition.htm www.stockexchangesecrets.com/nasdaq.html www.investopedia.com ? Dictionary www.investorwords.com/.../New_York_Stock_Exchange.html www.onlinestocktrading.org/stocks/what-is-the-nyse/ www.fed-soc.org/publications/.../the-public-company-accounting-reform-and-investor-protection-act-of-2002-public-markets-and-government-o... www.govtrack.us ? Congress ? Legislation www.telaxion.com/pages/sox.php www.access.gpo.gov/.../senate05cl107.html - United States -

Expert:  Matrix replied 9 months ago.
Thanks...Gary...When do you this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

would it be possible to have by 10pm est tonight?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Here is another one you may draw from as well...

The mission statement of NYSE is "The mission of the NYSE is to add value to the capital-raising and asset-management process by providing the highest-quality and most cost-effective self-regulated marketplace for the trading of financial instruments, promote confidence in and understanding of that process, and serve as a forum for discussion of relevant national and international policy issues".
The mission statement of NASDAQ is "As the world's largest exchange company, NASDAQ OMX is driven to delivering multi-asset, multi-service capability across every major continent. NASDAQ OMX provides forward-thinking services and technology that have the power to drive capital formation, transform business and fuel economic growth around the world."
The essential similarities between the NYSE and the NASDAQ are that both are stock exchanges and carry out the functions of buying and selling shares. They facilitate the trading of stocks and provide liquidity to the investors. Both are public companies and earn profits for their shareholders. Both the NASDAQ and NYSE are regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission. The trading on both the NYSE and the NASDAQ is done through a traffic controller. Both the exchanges together, account for a very large proportion of share trading in North America. These exchanges facilitate the raising of capital for public companies in North America.

The NYSE and NASDAQ are different from one another in several ways. At the NYSE a specialist is assigned the job of facilitating the market. On the other hand at the NASDAQ the market maker takes charge of traffic management.
Further it is perceived that the market of NASDAQ has shares whose value fluctuates. These are new industries particularly, those related to computers, information technology, and telecommunications. On the other hand the perceptions are that the shares prices of the companies listed on the NYSE fluctuate relatively less. These are traditional companies and are dependable. These companies belong to industries like the automobile industries, manufacturing industries, and utilities. Since NASDAQ is a relatively new exchange, the cost of listing on the NASDAQ if far lower than the cost of listing on the NYSE. In addition, the annual fees on the NASDAQ are lower than the annual fees on the NYSE. The fees strengthen the perception that NASDAQ if for new companies. In addition, it is believed that NASDAQ lists companies that have high growth rates; on the other hand NYSE lists companies that have relatively lower growth rates.
The main difference between NYSE and NASDAQ is that the NYSE is a physical stock exchange. It s located at a physical trading floor where buying or selling of stocks take place. It is an auction. On the other hand the NASDAQ is located in the servers and networks that carry out the transactions. It is an electronic exchange. The dealers access the electronic exchange for their clients and the trades are accomplished on the electronic exchange.
The Public Company Accounting and Investor Protection Act of 2002 is a federal law that sets higher standards for American public company management, boards, and public accounting firms. The Securities and Exchange Commission is required to ensure compliance with the act. Further, the act has created the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, which has been given the task of being a watch dog and disciplinarian for auditors of public company. The Public Company Accounting and Investor Protection Act of 2002 has eleven titles. The objective of this law is to make the reports of public companies accurate and reliable so that the interests of investors are protected.
The Public Company Accounting and Investor Protection Act of 2002 has made the corporate boards responsible and make the CEOs and CFOs responsible for the reports of the companies. The CEOs and CFOs must sign the financial statements and may be penalized or incarcerated if there are false or misleading statements. The Public Company Accounting and Investor Protection Act of 2002 requires public companies to report on their internal controls and must go through the procedures to ensure that their financial statements/ records are valid. The law makes it mandatory for companies to strengthen their internal controls and requires the external auditor to report on internal controls. The act seeks to improve corporate governance and ensure external auditor independence. (702 words)
References:
www.nyse.com/
www.nasdaq.com/
www.soxlaw.com/
www.sec.gov/about/laws/soa2002.pdf

The New York Stock Exchange, Francis L. Eames, Nabu Press, 2010
The new NASDAQ marketplace, Robert Alan Schwartz, Antoinette Colaninno, Springer, 2007

Expert:  Matrix replied 9 months ago.
I will try to do it by evening.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok thanks i just to send it in by midnight thank you.

Expert:  Matrix replied 9 months ago.
I will provide the paper in another 45 minutes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for updating me, as usual you are a true ambassador of customer service and represent Justanswer highly.

Expert:  Matrix replied 9 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Matrix, Tutor
Experience: Masters
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I posted another question in a new thread.