Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Masters Degree
Experience:  BA (Hons) & MA Qualifications

Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Project Information: This

Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Project

Information:

This is an individual project where you will engage the many components of planning the implementation of Windows Server 2008 Active Directory. With increased use of computer technology, many medical practices, clinics and doctor’s offices are moving away from their paper-based recording system for their patients to a new Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system. In this project, a group of 4 medical offices are merging together into a single entity.

The EMR application has already been purchased by the new company, and requires Active Directory to function. In addition to the EMR system, many insurance companies require submission of claim forms electronically instead of paper forms. Additionally, many pharmacies they use now accept electronic prescriptions via the Internet. The net effect in this scenario is that several small practices are grouping together and are moving to an entirely electronic system.

The name of the new entity will be called EMR. Each of the remote offices has about 30 tablet computers that will be used for the EMR system via a browser interface, and 30 desktops running Windows 7 for general office work, thus central file storage on the domain is required. EMR would like to provide web pages on the Internet and they would also like internal email.

The 4 offices are:
•Maplewood Family Practice
•Advance Urgent Care Clinic
•Salem Pediatricians
•Westgate Oncology

Each office has these departments:
•Providers [all the physicians, physician assistants, nurses, etc]
•Accounting [processes payments, receipts, payroll, etc]
•Nursing [handles submission of prescriptions to pharmacies]
•Insurance [works with insurance companies]

A central office will house the IT infrastructure to support the new company. One Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition server is located in each of the remote offices at this time. Additional servers can be purchased if justified. A T1 line is already in place between the remote offices and the central office. Digital certificates are needed for authentication purposes for these devices.

Your task is to design the Active Directory structure for the new organization.

In this project, you will:
•Design AD logical and physical design
•Design the GPO structure of the organization
•Design the DNS infrastructure to support Active Directory
•Identify the location of the FSMO roles
•Identify the DC locations
•Identify the bridgehead servers (if any are used)
•Design the software / operating system deployment plan for the organization
•Design the CA for the organization
•Develop a Disaster recovery plan to include data and Active directory
•Identify additional servers / equipment needed
•Generate a time line to implement the entire solution

Assignment:

Part 1 – Existing Network Diagram

Using Visio, prepare a diagram based on the information you’ve been given so far. This will be a first step to confirm you have a firm understanding of the existing environment, particularly the hardware already installed. Visio has extensive stencils for diagramming computer networks, however, focus most on thinking through what’s described in the project.

Part 2 – Active Directory Diagrams

Using Visio, design a physical and a logical structure for the company. You should have two files, one for each diagram. In these diagrams, you should include physical components such as domain controllers, file storage, forests, OUs, domains, trees, etc.

Part 3

Using Word, document your plans for the OU structure for the company. Remember, each of the four offices has four departments, plus there is one central IT office. Your OU structure should reflect each of them at minimum, plus any other OUs you feel would be pertinent to the company. Your structure should also follow a naming convention for each OU. Feel free to use Word’s outline feature to design your structure.

Your OU structure must include a paragraph to explain the decisions you made.

Part 4

Using Word, document your plans for a naming convention for the users on the domain. (Will the account name format be JSmith, JillSmith, SmithJill, JBS, or something else?) Document how you would name these five domain accounts:

First Name / Middle Initial / Lastname / User logon name:

Jill B Smith
Steve K Mauser MD
Corey R Ramsey PA
Shelley T Munger
Jeffrey B Shohl

Include in your document the reasons you chose your convention for naming user accounts.

Part 5

Using Word, document the security groups and distribution groups you would create for the company, and why. You should include the name of each group, how it will be used in the company, the role its members have in the company, and the scope the group has. Following is an example chart to complete:

Group Name Use in company Role of members Scope
Category: Homework
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 9 months ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I would be happy to help with this - can you let me know when it is required?

Customer:

Well I believe that you have answered this question before

Customer:

is it possible to get the answers as before

Steve Herrod :

Yes - let me check my files and attach them

Customer:

ok great thanks.

Steve Herrod :

This zip file should have them

Customer:

Yea - that looks about right.

Steve Herrod :

cool

Customer:

do I just submit the service rating and that's it?

Steve Herrod :

Yep, that's pretty much it

Customer:

Thanks Steve! Excellent Work!

Steve Herrod, Masters Degree
Experience: BA (Hons) & MA Qualifications