Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.
29937297

Looking for some answers for Astronomy 100: I: Big Things

Customer Question

Looking for some answers for Astronomy 100:
I: Big Things and Little Things

From each list below, identify the physically largest object (not the most massive) and put is corresponding letter in the blank next to the list.
____ (A) hydrogen atom (B) hydrogen nucleus (C) carbon nucleus (D) helium nucleus
_____ (A) The Sun (B) K5 V star (C) red dwarf star (D) white dwarf star
____ (A) The Milky Way (B) the globular cluster 47 Tucanae (C) our solar system
(D) Earth
____ (A) Neptune (B) Ganymede (C) The Moon (D) Earth
_____ (A) A dust grain in the interstellar medium (B) A neutron star (C) a carbon atom
(D) The greater Los Angeles, California metro area (about 50 miles x 75 miles)
_____ (A) blue dwarf star (B) A planetary nebula (C) The sun (D) Altair (A7 V star)
_____ (A) Our solar system (B) Jupiter (C) Earth (D) The Sun
_____ (A) White dwarf star (B) Jupiter (C) neutron star (D) pulsar
_____ (A) a 20 solar mass main sequence star (B) a 1 solar mass star burning helium
(C) the sun (D) a red dwarf star
_____ (A) Orion Nebula (B) The Crab Nebula (C) Arcturus (a red supergiant star) (D) The galactic bulge

II: End States of Stars

For each of the types of stars listed below, pick the lettered description below that best describes all of the possible fates for that star.

A. The hydrogen-burning lifetime of the star is older than the current age of the universe.
B. White Dwarf
C. Neutron Star or Black Hole
____ A main sequence star of 1 solar mass with no binary companion
____ A main sequence star of 0.1 solar mass with no binary companion
____ A main sequence star of 10 solar masses with a close binary companion
____ A main sequence star of 10 solar masses with no binary companion
____ A red giant star of 1.5 solar masses with no binary companion
____ The central star of a planetary nebula
____ The brightest stars in the Orion Nebula
____ The brightest stars visible in a halo globular cluster in the Milky Way.

III: All About Timing
From each list below, identify event that happened first.

____ (A) The Big Bang
(B) Jupiter captures a hydrogen-helium atmosphere
(C) The sun begins to burn helium
(D) The creation of the cosmic microwave background

____ (A) The creation of the cosmic microwave background
(B) Men visit the moon
(C) Formation of the lunar maria
(D) Most craters on the Moon and Mercury are formed

____ (A) Small particles of metal oxides condense in the dusty disk around the sun
(B) The sun begins to burn helium
(C) Beta Crucis (typeB0 V) the second brightest star in the Southern Cross, is born.
(D) Jupiter captures a hydrogen-helium atmosphere

____ (A) Africa and South America become separate pieces of land
(B) A prominent supernova is seen in the constellation Taurus (the Crab Supernova)
(C) Most craters on the Moon and Mercury are formed
(D) Formation of the lunar maria

____ (A) Formation of population II stars
(B) A portion of a molecular cloud stars to collapse. One part will eventually become the sun.
(C) Massive metal poor stars go supernova and dump metals into the interstellar medium

Part 4: What is possible?
Based on what you know about the universe, put a “Y” by the things below that are possible and a “N” by things that are not possible. Assume that you can visit any planet or moon in the solar system.

____ Finding running water on Titan
____ Finding a place on Earth where the North Star is never visible
____ Seeing a full moon at 1 PM from a mid-latitude location, such as Tokyo, Seoul, or Washington, DC.
____ Measuring a parallax of .01 seconds of arc for a quasar
____ Finding a place on Earth where the North Star is always visible (or would be if it was dark and there were no clouds).
____ Seeing a total eclipse of the sun (by the Earth) while standing on the Moon.
____ Walking around on Venus wearing street clothes and a gas mask, and living to tell about it
____ Finding a place on some planet in the solar system where the sun is continuously below the horizon for 5 Earth years
____ Seeing an erupting volcano on some body in the solar system other than Earth

Part 5: Elements of Modern Astronomy
Which of the following are generally accepted ideas in modern science and astronomy? Put a “Y” by the ones that are important in modern science and astronomy, and an “N” by those that are not.

Note 1: This question is not asking about your personal beliefs about what is true, nor is it asking which ideas are accepted by some fraction of the American people.

Note 2: All of these ideas have been accepted by learned men at some time and place.
____ The Earth occupies no special place in the Universe.
____ The nature of the Universe can be deduced from pure logic.
____ Now is not a special time in the Universe. The Universe is eternal and unchanging on the largest scales.
____ The Earth is at the center of the Universe.
____ The same physical laws apply everywhere in the universe.
____ Perfectly reasonable ideas that do not match observations of the universe must be rejected.
____ All things above the Earth are eternal and unchanging.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 1 year ago.
I have the question and I will get right on it.

Here is your link.

Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience: Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the quick response! Your're a hugh help. One question I had was dealing with the first part. There was 10 question in total, but the answers only listed 8. I just wanted to know if it was the last two questions that was ommited. I can work on those if needed, just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great thats what i got too, thanks again!

You are quite welcome. Look me up again when you need help.