asciandwildlifebio
asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student
Experience:  M.S. Bio, B.S. in Animal Science and Wildlife Biology. Comprehensive Spanish Written and Oral Skills

Minerals 1. How do minerals affect society? 2. What is

Customer Question

Minerals

1. How do minerals affect society?
2. What is the difference between metallic and nonmetallic minerals? Provide two examples from each category and discuss their uses.

Mining

1. How are minerals extracted from the Earth and processed?
2. What are the different ways minerals can be mined? Provide a brief description of at least three types of mining.
3. What effect does extracting minerals have on the environment?

Soil

1. What is your definition of soil? What is soil composed of? Why is soil important to the environment?
2. What types of organisms are found in soil? Determine the relationship between soil and organisms.
3. What is soil erosion? How can soil become polluted? What effect does soil erosion and pollution have on the environment?
4. What is the purpose of soil reclamation?

Forestry and Rangeland Resources and Management Strategies

1. Differentiate between government-owned lands and public lands. Which government agencies are involved with government-owned lands? What is the purpose of government-owned lands?
2. Why is the forest an important ecosystem?
3. What is your definition of forest management? What is its purpose? Describe the concept of sustainable forestry.
4. What effect does the harvesting of trees and deforestation have on forests and the environment? Is there a preferred method for harvesting trees? Explain.
5. What is a rangeland? Describe rangeland degradation and desertification. What effect does degradation and desertification have on the environment?
6. What is overgrazing? What effect does this have on rangelands?
7. What strategies can be employed for the management and conservation of forests and rangelands?

Agriculture

1. What is the difference between industrialized agriculture and subsistence agriculture? What effect do these methods of agriculture have on the environment?
2. What is one agricultural challenge, other than soil erosion, that society faces? Explain your answer.
3. How would you describe sustainable agriculture? How does it affect the environment? In regards XXXXX XXXXX what are the advantages and disadvantages involved with genetic engineering?
Minerals

1. How do minerals affect society?

Mining

Soil

Agriculture

Category: Homework
Expert:  asciandwildlifebio replied 9 months ago.
Customer
Thank you for posting your questions! There are many questions here and for the value you assigned them, I would be willing to answer each block of questions (ie. minerals, mining, soil, etc.) as separate answers/values/ratings. If you are okay with this, please let me know and I will get started. Also, please let me know when each block of questions is due.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The questions were pasted to the post twice. Here are the questions to the assignment. I am OK with you answering each set of questions separately. I need the answers by Monday night, if possible.

Environmental Resources Worksheet

Using the assigned readings for Week Four, write a 50- to 75-word response to each of the following questions. Your responses will be assessed according to the accuracy of the content.

Minerals

1. How do minerals affect society?

Mining

Soil

Agriculture

Robert, I will have 5 separate answers to you by late this evening.
Wezal,
Here is your first answer. Please rate this answer as I work on your other answers. :)

Minerals

1. How do minerals affect society?

Minerals affect society in many ways and in almost every facet of life. Minerals are diverse and can aid in the construction of buildings, better our health by supplying nutrients, and make foods more palatable by serving as spices. One way in which we are most connected to minerals is that they can serve as fertilizer for our common household gardens to farmers' commercial agricultural lands.

Metallic minerals are minerals, which can be melted into new products. They are typically made of igneous rock, are hard to break, shiny, and malleable. Examples of metallic minerals are iron and tin. We use iron to make construction tools and tin in household goods such as cans and foil. Nonmetallic minerals are those minerals that cannot be made into a new product. These are typically made of sedimentary rock and they are not shiny and malleable, and can be broken easily. Examples include salt and marble. We use salt in our food but we also use non-cooking salt for better traction on icy-snowy roads. Marble is commonly used as counter top and in building ornate features of offices and homes.

asciandwildlifebio, Graduate Student
Experience: M.S. Bio, B.S. in Animal Science and Wildlife Biology. Comprehensive Spanish Written and Oral Skills
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Robert,
Please let me know if you are satisfied with the prior answers by rating them if you want, so that I know to continue on.
Hi Robert,
How is your class going? Is there anything I can help you with? Do you still need the remaining questions of this assignment completed?