Family Physician, Tutor
Experience:  Tutor in many fields since college. Physician with MBA

1. (TCO 3, 5) This term refers to a form of government in

1. (TCO 3, 5) This term refers to a form of government in which a few selected individuals or an exclusive ruling group maintain power: (Points : 5)
Democracy
Dictatorship
Monarchy
Oligarchy

2. (TCO 1) C. Wright Mills advocated the use of the sociological imagination to view divorce in the United States because divorce: (Points : 5)
is an individual's personal problem.
is a structural problem that is characteristic of numerous marriages.
may create emotional scars for divorcees.
has been a serious problem throughout history.

3. (TCO 1, 2) Which of the following is not part of the code of ethics for social science researchers? (Points : 5)
Preserving confidentiality
Protecting subjects form personal harm
Protecting the privacy of the subjects
Making all research notes available for public scrutiny

4. (TCO 4, 6) The phenomenon in which people respond to the meaning that a person or situation has for them is called: (Points : 5)
definition of the situation.
social structure.
social interaction.
the Hawthorne effect.

5. (TCO 2) In a scientific study, the variable that is influenced by another variable is known as: (Points : 5)
the dependent variable.
a spurious variable.
a control variable.
the independent variable.

6. (TCO 3, 4, 6) Residents of a retirement community, workers in an offshore oil rig, and rodeo cowboys, are all examples of what sociologists refer to as: (Points : 5)
subcultures.
countercultures.
cultural universals.
argot.

7. (TCO 4, 6) During World War II, Christians living in Nazi Germany had to choose between trying to protect Jewish friends and associates, and turning them in to the authorities. This is an example of: (Points : 5)
cultural universalism.
role exit.
functional prerequisites.
role conflict.

8. (TCO 3, 4, 5) What social theorist claimed that the dominant culture (individualism and competition) in a capitalist society serves the interests of the ruling class? (Points : 5)
Kingsely Davis and Wilbert Morre
Talcott Parsons
Karl Marx
Emile Durkheim

9. (TCO 1) Reducing unemployment and providing social interaction are ______ of attending college. (Points : 5)
dysfunctions
latent functions
manifest functions
basic functions

10. (TCO 4, 6) Based on Robert Merton's anomie theory of deviance, the person who has rejected the goal of material success and rejects the institutional means to success is known as a (an): (Points : 5)
retreatist.
ritualist.
innovator.
rebel.

11. (TCO 3, 4, 6) What theory of deviance attempts to explain why certain people are viewed as deviants while others who engage in the same behavior are not? (Points : 5)
Control theory
Anomie theory
Labeling theory
Differential association

12. (TCO 3, 4, 5, 6) Which sociological perspective emphasizes that ethnocentrism serves to maintain a sense of solidarity by promoting group pride? (Points : 5)
Feminist perspective
Interactionist perspective
Conflict perspective
Functionalist perspective

13. (TCO 1, 2, 3) According to this perspective, gender inequality is central to all behavior and organization. (Points : 5)
The functionalist perspective
The feminist view
Marxist view
The interactionist perspective

14. (TCO 3, 4, 6) While vacationing in Great Britain, you discover that the British drive on the "wrong" side of the road, are critical of your American accent, and will not accept dollars in stores. You feel disoriented and out of place. You are experiencing: (Points : 5)
xenocentrism.
the Hawthorne effect.
the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.
cultural shock.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question:

I will be happy to review your questions - and help you correct any answers that you hare having problems with. Please post your work, and I will review these with you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will work through these giving you references/guidance to any incorrect answers. When is this assignment due?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

in 45 min

Ok..... I'll be as quick as possible:

For question 1 - you answered DEMOCRACY - Democracy is a form of government where all individuals have an equal voice.

Here is the definition of oligarchy - controlled by a SMALL GROUP of people
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oligarchy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks

Question 2 - remember this is a sociology course/test - psychology would be more involved with the personal issues of a divorce - sociology (and C. Wright Mills) is more interested in the high number of divorces (I believe around 50% of marriages) - i.e. what is it about the structure of marriage that causes divorce.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That makes more sense

Question #3
Making all research notes available for public scrutiny would expose subjects personal data - breaching their confidentiality. This is not part of any code of ethics.

Question #7
In sociological research, functional prerequisites are the basic needs (food, shelter, clothing, and money) that an individual requires to live above the poverty line.
ROLE CONFLICT - being pulled in different directions would seem more appropriate
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Now that makes sense

For #10 - I believe that retreatism is your best answer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mertons_social_strain_theory.svg

For #11 - Anomie

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That's what I had originally thought

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok

13 - you didn't answer - Feminists believe that gender inequality is a driving force behind most social issues

How are we doing on time?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

25 min

Culture shock is a common problems when people travel - having experienced in myself when I traveled to England, Europe and 3rd world countries.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok yeah that's what they call that experience

Short answer#1
Ethnocentricity is the view that you (or your culture) is the center of the universe so to speak. An example is the belief that your nation, culture or belief system is ordained by God - and therefore superior to others.

You may want to explain the conflict between the USA and many Arab nations both of which have large segments of their population that believe that their way of life is based on God's law and therefore superior or not open to question.

UNDERSTAND, you should not copy and paste any essay answer, since you could be accused of plagiarism (which is most courses will result in a "F")
Here is excellent reference to help you with the mass media question
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072824131/student_view0/chapter7/
Family Physician, Tutor
Experience: Tutor in many fields since college. Physician with MBA
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.