Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Masters Degree
Experience:  BA (Hons) & MA Qualifications

Converge network solution, cost benefit analysis, and network

Customer Question

Converge network solution, cost benefit analysis, and network solution
The scenario...
CASE STUDY: Rapid Freight
Requirements Analysis
Company Overview:
Rapid Freight, a global logistics provider, offers fully integrated freight and supply chain services through managed warehousing and domestic and international freight forwarding. Services ranged from door-to-door domestic and international delivery services to total supply chain management. With branches across the U.S. and Europe and partners worldwide, Rapid Freight continues to expand, and has experienced rapid growth through acquisitions.
Note: The term supply chain refers to all the elements involved in bringing an organization’s products from raw goods to the customer. The APICS Dictionary defines Supply Chain Management (SCM) as the "design, planning, execution, control, and monitoring of supply chain activities with the objective of creating net value, building a competitive infrastructure, leveraging worldwide logistics, synchronizing supply with demand and measuring performance globally." (APICS is the Association for Operations Management; http://www.apics.org/Resources/APICSDictionary.htm)
The Business Challenges:
Rapid Freight is competing in an environment where freight transport is as much about keeping customers informed as it is about on-time delivery. The company has adopted web-based technologies for tracking freight, differentiating its services, keeping customers informed, and ensuring the on-time delivery that is Rapid Freight’s hallmark. As a result, Rapid Freight enjoys a very high level of customer satisfaction.
Its mobile workforce has rapidly increased, with drivers using PDAs to scan consignments, which is then synced in real time via GPRS links to headquarters applications that track the consignments. Customers use Rapid Freight’s web services to view the progress of orders from dispatch to warehousing to final delivery. Customers also use Rapid Freight’s web-based systems to create freight documentation and generate reports. With the EDI interface, invoices and payments are transferred directly between the customers’ systems and Rapid Freight., saving both time and money. As the company has expanded, the data flowing in the system has increased as well. Now, with over 5,000 employees and thousands of customers worldwide, Rapid Freight is suffering from the effects of explosive growth. Demands on its Wide-Area Network (WAN) are exceeding the capacity. The main data center has experienced several network outages and unscheduled downtime. The aging ISDN telephone system is failing, as the company has avoided the costly upgrades necessary to keep it operating at optimal performance. Telephone bills have increased without warning and the voice mail system is overloaded.

The Opportunity:
Rapid Freight wants to provide increased bandwidth between all 47 of its U.S. offices and the main data center. There are three metropolitan areas that have 4-8 Rapid Freight locations that need to coordinate among themselves: Chicago, Los Angeles, and Baltimore. The company desires a reliable and secure network to accommodate its planned growth as well as the unexpected.
The company does not want to spend any more on telephone services than it does today, and its goal is to upgrade the services while protecting against escalating costs from its ISDN service provider.
Efficiency and productivity goals for this rapidly growing company are of paramount importance, and there is a desire to provide capabilities and services that incorporate technology solutions to improve in those areas as well as retaining the high level of customer satisfaction. Rapid Freight is also interested in reducing travel between its sites by implementing video conferencing.

In addition, Rapid Freight wants to be able to monitor and manage data and voice services and ensure consumption is appropriate to their business needs.

The Assignment:
Using this case study, you are to identify a minimum of five requirements, analyze them, and offer a proposal that provides Rapid Freight with an converged network solution and explains how the components of the solution, and the solution as a whole, meet the identified requirements. The proposed solution must address each of the requirements identified. At least one diagram or illustration must be incorporated to illustrate your proposed solution. You should do some research to address the cost issues and defend the proposed solution from a cost-benefit perspective. This is to be a general analysis of the benefits vs. the cost of a converged network, not a full cost-benefit analysis with cost data. The assignment should be done in a 3-4 page paper, including illustrations or diagrams, but not counting the cover page and references page. At least two external sources (other than the textbook and other materials provided in the class) must be used and citations and references must be done in APA format. Your paper will be graded ac
Category: Homework
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 9 months ago.

Steve Herrod :

When do you need this? Shouldn't be a problem

Customer:

by saturday

Customer:

Are you still there?? Steve

Steve Herrod :

No problem, will have with you by early Saturday

Customer:

by email or on this site?

Customer:

Thanks

Steve Herrod :

it will be through this site

Steve Herrod :

will attach a link to the document

Steve Herrod :

Hi

Steve Herrod :

See file attached here

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Hello Steve I need each requirements identify separately analyze them, and offer a proposal that provides Rapid Freight with an converged network solution and explains how the components of the solution, and the solution as a whole, meet the identified requirements. The proposed solution must address each of the requirements identified.

Customer:

Steve time is against me, I will go ahead and do it. Thanks

Steve Herrod, Masters Degree
Experience: BA (Hons) & MA Qualifications
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Customer:

Thanks, I wasn't online most of yesterday afternoon and evening.

The proposal does meet the necessary requirements but I prefer to have a flowing text rather than one broken up in categories for example.

Let me know if any revisions needed.

Cheers

Steve