Martin, Physicist
Experience:  20+ years of research, engineering and teaching

For MartinObjective:There is thought among some people

Customer Question

For Martin

Objective:
There is thought among some people at your facility that the old method
and the new method are producing product at different thicknesses.
You DO NOT WANT the methods to be different. In fact, you want
the methods to be producing products that are the same. To address this, you
suggest using a T test. If the methods are significantly different, you have a problem.
If the null is NOT rejected--that is good news! The team agrees that a sample size
of 25 is adequate for the test. Remember...You are hoping the null does not
get rejected. The team decides a significance level at 0.05 for the test.

Instructions for you:
Step 1. You need 4 numbers:
Old method's average: m = .012576
New method's average: x-bar
(you need to calculate it from the data below)
Standard deviation of sample data 's'
n number of samples 'n'
(you need to count them yourself from the data below)
Step 2. State the null and alternate hypothesis.
Step 3. Calculate the T test statistic from the formula found in the t test lecture
in your white manuals. (Use ALL of the available digits, DO NOT ROUND!)
Step 4. Determine the critical T value (refer to the T-distribution Table in the Online Textbook.)
[Hint: (n - 1) is 25 - 1 = 24 df] and considering a 95% confidence.
Step 5. What is your conclusion?

"How did you come up with µ?"
"How can I find x-bar?"
"How can I find S?"
"Hypothesis statement?"
"How much help is Excel for this?"
"My conclusion?"
"I'm lost in calculating the Test Statistic"
"What's the difference between 1-tail or 2?"

Data:
New method
0.009
0.010
0.011
0.011
0.010
0.011
0.011
0.013
0.008
0.012
0.010
0.013
0.014
0.012
0.009
0.014
0.011
0.015
0.011
0.012
0.015
0.011
0.011
0.012
0.008

How to submit an Assignment

Target Assignment Date - Submit in Week 7 or earlier

Project: Manufacturing
Deliverable: T Test
Student last name: Your last name here
REPORT ALL OF THE RESULTS TO AT LEAST 4 DECIMAL PLACES!
Old method average::: Enter here Check
New method average::: Enter here Check
Standard deviation (s)::: What is S? Check
n = ::: What is n?

State the null hypothesis::: Write the null hypothesis here.

State the alt. hypothesis::: Write the alt. hypothesis here.

T test statistic::: What is it? Check
One tail or two? 1 or 2?
Critical value::: What is it? Check
Reject the null? (yes, or no?)::: Y or N?

Please write the hypothesis conclusion:::
Write your conclusion here.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Josie and I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.
Hello again! Thanks for requesting me. I can help you with this. What is the deadline for this work?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am behind in this class and I have a couple more for you just let me know when you can have it completed and I will work around you..
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.
OK, I'll get on it!
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.
All right, I'm finished. Here is the work

Word Doc
Excel File

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Thanks!
Martin, Physicist
Experience: 20+ years of research, engineering and teaching
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Martin can you type out the null hypothesis and alt hypothesis separately so I can add them into my work. I have to put them in two separate blocks and I can't seem to type them in separately. Thanks new assignments coming your way.

Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.
Sure, here you go:

Word doc

Let me know if you need something more, and I'll be glad to help. Thanks!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You have received partial credit for the assignment.
Please reconsider your hypothesis statements.

Also verify the critical value.

Martin this is what I got back from my teacher. Was the crtical value P=0.0040358.
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

I checked it over, and everything looks fine. The hypotheses are correct, as are the numbers. Do you have any more information about what your instructor is unhappy with?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I resubmitted the work I may have made the mistake if I get any more info I will let you know.
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.
OK, great, thanks!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Martin I hate to bother you but this is what my instructor sent. I only received partial credit to pass class I have to get full credit for assignment.

this is what he sent.

Also verify the critical value.

Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.
I'm at a loss here, but I'll have another look.
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

this is what i sent

Old method average::: 0.0126
New method average::: 0.0114
Standard deviation (s)::: " 0.0019 "
n = ::: 25

State the null hypothesis::: H0 : x-bar =µ

State the alt. hypothesis::: H1 : x-bar not equal µ

T test statistic::: 3.1795
One tail or two? 2
Critical value::: 0.00403578
Reject the null? (yes, or no?)::: Y

Since this is less than our required of 0.05, we Reject the null Hypothesis with 95% confidence and conclude that the mean thickness of the new method is not the same as the old

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Attachment: 2013-09-20_134142_book2.xlsx

Martin can you please add the data to this file for me. Maybe I am sending it wrong to my instructor. Man I will Be happy when I am out of this class LOL.

Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.
I think I see the problem -- the critical value. Here is the updated workbook:

Excel file.

Hope this does the trick! :)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Attachment: 2013-10-09_202434_hypothesis_testing.pdf

From my instructor. I attched the Hypothesis testing example from my review school work.

Please reconsider your hypothesis statements (not sure why you keep submitting the same responses that were previously noted as incorrect?)

What are the criteria for the hypothesis statements that we discussed during the virtual class session? Did you have a chance to carefully review the format of the examples provided during the session (note they all meet the criteria!)

Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.
I guess she/he has some required format and won't accept anything else. Can you share the examples provided during your "virtual class session"?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did u get the example in the attachment?
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.
Oh, no, I'd missed that. Now I see it, thanks!

As far as I can tell, it's a matter of semantics. It's very clear from the problem what the null and alternative hypotheses must be. The null hypothesis is that the new mean is the same as the old, and the alternative is that the two are different. It's really that simple. Maybe because we used H0 and H1 instead of H0 and HA? Or maybe he/she doesn't like the variable names? In any event, in an effort to be as much like the lecture slides you sent, you might try this version, but other than that I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

Excel file.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok I have one more I will post for you in maybe 30 minutes. Another expert did the work but I need one part relooked and he/she never responded so I will post it for you and once you reply I will add the excel. I am coming to the end of my class and my project has to be complete before Sunday. You have been a great Help Martin!!!!