Martin, Physicist
Experience:  20+ years of research, engineering and teaching
47181708

Your boss wants to know the limits of expected variation.

Customer Question

Objective: We want you to determine baseline sigma for both the current defect level and the new target defect level. (approximate is okay) You will need to refer to the tab below entitled "The Project" for this deliverable. Instructions for you: Calculate baseline sigma. Sigma Levels 6 sigma 3.4 dissatisfied customer experiences per million (DPMO) 5 sigma 233 DPMO 4 sigma 6,210 DPMO 3 sigma 66,807 DPMO 2 sigma 308,538 DPMO 1 sigma 691,462 DPMO Lovell Levelers, Inc. is a major provider of specialized parts for the automotive industry. LLI’s biggest customer, Specific Motors was not a delighted customer this month. In fact, last Monday, the executive vice president of Specific Motors headquarters, Phyllis Kendall was diverted from a return trip from Singapore to drop in unexpectedly at the LLI plant. There was nothing routine about this visit. She made it explicitly clear that Specific Motors was disappointed with the level of quality relative to the leveler plates. In particular, she was disappointed with the current average of rejects at the rate of 1,350 defects per million opportunities (DPMO) at a cost of poor quality of just over $256,000 per quarter. She said the industry standard is less than 50 DPMO and if we do not get the level of quality to the industry standard (as a minimum) within the next six months, LLI should not expect to keep the business next year.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Please let me know and I will assist further. Thank you!

Best,

Angela

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I figured out the answer to that question can I ask another question instead. This is for my six sigma business project. Thanks

Hello. Please post your request details here and I will update the information for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Objective:
Your boss wants to know the limits of expected variation. You know there is another shipment
coming in next week and based upon this week's run, you can calculate/predict the limits
of expected variation by calculating the mean and standard deviation.
need to use excell 2007
The Mean and StDev in Excel 2007
Expected variation
Instructions for you:
1. Calculate the average for length, width and thickness.
2. Calculate the standard deviation for each.
3. From these calculations, determine the expected variation. ( Use + or - 3 sigma)
You may complete this assignment by hand, as taught in the lecture. You may use Excel, or you
may use a calculator or other software. We explain the fundamentals of the calculations, so that
you learn the mechanics and the meaning of standard deviation. This basic approach gives you an
understanding of standard deviation, which then allows you to be flexible in the tools that you use.

Data:
DataLengthWidthThickness
10.677.510.551
10.747.570.546
10.687.550.546
10.727.530.554
10.667.530.546
10.697.560.542
10.707.520.545
10.727.580.538
10.697.550.552
10.687.530.547
10.727.560.546
10.707.580.545
10.707.550.546
10.737.550.548
10.757.540.546
10.737.570.543
10.697.540.548
10.687.550.545
10.707.550.553
10.777.560.539
10.727.540.549
10.697.560.541
10.667.560.543
10.697.550.545
10.637.540.549
10.687.550.546
10.737.560.545
10.747.570.540
10.657.540.541
10.697.550.545
10.707.540.547
10.727.550.543
10.757.530.545
10.717.540.546
10.727.550.547
Upper Spec117.660.56
Lower Spec10.57.450.54
Target10.757.550.55

Project: Manufacturing
Deliverable: Expected variation
Student last name:Your last name here
REPORT ALL OF THE RESULTS TO AT LEAST 4 DECIMAL PLACES!
Mean for LENGTH:::
Standard deviation for LENGTH:::
What is the lowest point of expected variation?
What is the upper point of expected variation?
Mean for WIDTH:::
Standard deviation for WIDTH:::
Mean for THICKNESS:::
Standard deviation for THICKNESS:::

Thank you for your patience while we continue to search for a professional to assist you.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello again :)

We are still working with our professionals to find you the best possible match. But I wanted to touch base to see if you were still needing our professionals' assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait. Thanks
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Your question is open to all professionals and marked high priority. You'll receive an email notification if a professional replies. We appreciate your patience.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I'm looking at your question, and will get back to you shortly. Thanks
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Martin, Physicist
Experience: 20+ years of research, engineering and teaching
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have received partial credit for the assignment.

Please recalculate the means, std dev and the resulting expected variation.

this is what I got back from my teacher. Thank you. I don't mind giving a bonus but i need to make sure it is correct for my project. I have more for you to. Thanks again.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

I've reviewed the work, and found that the means, standard deviations, and +/- 3 sigma points are indeed correct in the Word document that I provided. If possible, please ask your instructor for clarification on this. Here is the Excel file I used to generate these numbers --> Excel file.

I appreciate you letting me know about this. I want to understand the issues and do the best possible for you. And of course I'd be very happy to answer more questions if you have any. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Attachment: 2013-09-09_201936_rounding_errors.docx

I don't know if this helps but this was one other part that was in the assignment.

Decimal places in Excel
Excel STORES the full decimal value of a number in its cells.
But, you can adjust how many decimal values
are VISIBLE in your spreadsheet. For example,
if your average/mean was 2.4557643, Excel
could display that number. Or, you can set your spreadsheet
number to display the value to 4 decimal places, 2.4558.
Following are the instructions for re-setting the number of
decimal places that are visible in Excel for both Excel 2003 and
Excel 2007. NOTE: Try to not use 'rounded' data during your
calculations. In your final result, you may round to one
more decimal place than your raw data.

Do you happen to have to work on how you did it? I don't know what the problem is but I will ask my instructor now.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this Excel file is how I did it.

The answers are correct to the number of decimals in the input data. Using more digits is easy enough (Format --> Cell --> Number --> Decimal Places), but the extra digits are really meaningless in light of the limited precision of the input data.

It is true that Excel displays some number of digits for each cell, while storing it with high precision (about 12-15 digits). Subsequent calculations involving a cell use its stored, high precision value.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will get with my instructor and ask him to relook it I appreciate your patients and don't worry you will get paid.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. No worries. Just happy to help. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No later than wednesday I will post for two more assignments do I post both of them for martin?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes please!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Martin for some reason everytime I try to do another question $80 keeps coming up. I don't click on the 80 it says $40 if satisified and I do not check the $80 block but it shows up as that. Can you help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you using ALL of the available digits during the calculations (format to at least 8 decimal places) and rounding only when reporting the results

This is what my instructor sent back. I tried it but came up with same answer do you understand what he is saying Martin?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes is the answer to his question. I'll be back with more detail shortly.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
OK, here is the same spreadsheet, but with the answers calculated to many more digits. You can see that the original answers are correct to the level of precision of the input data. This should satisfy your crazed instructor. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Martin

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
No problem!