Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Masters Degree
Experience:  BA (Hons) & MA Qualifications
65126503

Networking

"For Steve Herrod only"

I'm back to complete the rest.  Thanks!

Category: Homework
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Online now

Steve Herrod :

sorry - didn't get the notification

Customer:

No problem.

Customer:

I will start with the essay portion just like we did yesterday.

Steve Herrod :

cool

Customer:

1. (TCO 6) Assume you are responsible for advising your IT manager about a system that would improve event correlations in the network management system. The main goal is to improve automated diagnosis of failures in the network. Develop effective metrics that the IT manager can use to assess various event-correlation systems that would meet the organization's business objectives. (Points : 30)

2. (TCOs 2 and 5) What are some of the disadvantages of using a dedicated network management system in the corporate enterprise? What are some of the ways one can alleviate those drawbacks? (Points : 25)

3. (TCO 6) List at least three metrics that can be used to measure scale for a particular network management infrastructure. How essential are those metrics in (a) an enterprise organization and (b) a service provider organization? (Points : 25)

Customer:

1. (TCO 6) In the context of network management, how can the same manageability features contribute simultaneously to several goals? (Points : 10)

2. (TCO 5) Briefly describe what the term heterogeneity refers to as related to integrated management. (Points : 10)

3. (TCO 5) In a few words, define the following management style in terms of its application to the network management system: management by delegation. (Points : 10)

4. (TCO 4) Pick the last three SNMP operations (primitives on which all SNMP management is based). Explain how these management operations support the management of network devices in a management system. (Points : 10)

5. (TCO 4) Briefly explain some of the uses of data traffic collected using the NetFlow protocol. Also explain the shortcoming of the NetFlow protocol. (Points : 10)

6. (TCO 3) Briefly explain what is meant by an object identifier (OID) as it relates to the MIB structure. (Points : 10)

7. (TCO 3) Explain the maintenance function of OAM & P network management in terms of its functions in the network management system. (Points : 10)

8. (TCO 3) Give an example of the S in the FCAPS reference model for network management. (Points : 10)

Customer:

Let me that you got it.

Steve Herrod :

got them

Steve Herrod :

11 questions?

Customer:

yes

Steve Herrod :

cool

Customer:

For the first three questions, can you make those a bit more detailed than the rest?

Steve Herrod :

yep

Steve Herrod :

Here is the file

Customer:

1. (TCO 1) Which is not a discipline that best describes the functional parts of network management? (Points : 5)

Network management System management Application management Both network and application management Protocol management

2. (TCO 1) One of the main goals of network management is to make operations more efficient and operators more _____. (Points : 5)

efficient secure productive stable knowledgeable

3. (TCO 2) Which is not one of the four steps of the management life cycle? (Points : 5)

Operate Decommission Plan Optimize None of the above

4. (TCO 2) In the network management system, OID identifies unique objects in the _____. (Points : 5)

MIB database NMS query agent NMS response

5. (TCO 2) Which is not a part of all management agents? (Points : 5)

The MIB Core agent logic Management interface XML Both core agent logic and XML

6. (TCO 3) One of the key words found in the definition of network management is administration. Select the best definition of administration from the following choices. (Points : 5)

Keeping the network up and running smoothly Performing repairs and upgrades and taking corrective and preventive proactive measures to make the network run better Configuring resources in the network to support a given service Keeping track of resources in the network and how they are assigned None of the above

7. (TCO 3) Select the name of the language used in conjunction with the common management information protocol (CMIP). (Points : 5)

Common information model (CIM) Managed object format (MOF) Structure of management information (SMI) Abstract syntax notation version 1 (ASN.1) Guidelines for the definition of managed objects (GDMO)

8. (TCO 3) Which item is not one of the benefits of network discovery? (Points : 5)

Inventory records possibly not being accurate Performs backup and restore operations Mitigates surprises to service providers and network operators Provides up-to-date records on changes made by personnel in the network Provides a more effective way to discover network devices

9. (TCO 4) Which is not one of the reasons why polling a managed device for operational data and state information is generally done? (Points : 5)

Troubleshooting Device viewing Diagnostics Device update None of the above

10. (TCO 4) Which is not one of the events in network management event taxonomy? (Points : 5)

Fault alerts Configuration-change events Threshold-crossing alerts Informational events Logging events
Customer:

1. (TCO 6) Select the best features for an operational support system designed to assist users who must sift through large volumes of management information. (Points : 5)

Visual highlighting of information that seems out of the ordinary Graphical representation of large data sets—diagrams and curves to visualize trends Functions to sort, search, and filter information according to a wide variety of criteria None of the above All of the above

2. (TCO 6) Select the ways in which an effective network management system contributes to network availability. (Points : 5)

Reducing errors made by network operators and administrators, ensuring that network devices are properly configured, spotting and resolving troubles quickly, identifying top talkers on the network Reducing errors made by network operators and administrators, ensuring that network devices are properly configured, spotting and resolving troubles quickly Reducing errors made by ensuring that network devices are properly configured, spotting and resolving troubles quickly, identifying top talkers on the network Reducing errors made by network operators and administrators, ensuring that network devices are properly configured, identifying top talkers on the network Reducing errors made by network operators and administrators, identifying top talkers on the network

3. (TCO 6) A cost-effective way for allowing management applications to scale consists of which technique? (Points : 5)

Serialize application requests. Reduce the number of hosts running the application. Amortize cost of the operations support infrastructure. Centralize the application in the operations support center. Distribute the application across multiple hosts.

4. (TCO 6) Select the best answer from the list below that captures the essence of an effective network management system. (Points : 5)

Provides a foundation for determining when maintenance must be scheduled, provides a basis for determining where investment will have the biggest impact, provides a basis for developing ROI models Helps determine where to direct investment into network management technology, provides a foundation for determining when maintenance must be scheduled, provides a basis for developing ROI models. Helps determine where to direct investment into network management technology, provides a basis for determining where investment will have the biggest impact, provides a basis for developing ROI models Helps determine where to direct investment into network management technology, provides a foundation for determining when maintenance must be scheduled, provides a basis for determining where investment will have the biggest impact Helps determine where to direct investment into network management technology, provides a foundation for determining when maintenance must be scheduled, provides a basis for determining where investment will have the biggest impact, provides a basis for developing ROI models

5. (TCO 6) Which gives the best definition of MTBF? (Points : 5)

A classical measure of reliability that gives an indication of how often a service or device becomes unavailable Percentage of time during which a service is functioning properly Time from service order to service activation Customer defections from slow order fulfillment and lack of consistent quality A classical measure for indicating how long it takes for services that are impacted by failures to be restored

6. (TCO 5) Which two methods for integrating management systems will a network service provider and an enterprise-size business usually rely upon? (Points : 5)

Purchase a custom off-the-shelf software package; interact with a custom development project and contract with a systems integrator Perform a custom development project internally; contract with a systems integrator Purchase a custom off-the-shelf software package; contract with a systems integrator Contract with a systems integrator; purchase a custom off-the-shelf software package and write middleware and scripts to link the systems together Write middleware and scripts to link systems together; purchase a custom off-the-shelf software package

7. (TCO 5) Select the two types of policies (choose from goals, rules, plans, or requests) that can be distinguished in network management systems. (Points : 5)

Policy goals and policy requests Policy rules and policy plans Policy plans and policy requests Policy goals and policy rules Policy rules and policy requests

8. (TCO 5) Select the definition for the network management term known as management mediation. (Points : 5)

Translating between managed systems and the management information base (MIB) due to the differences in management protocols Translating between managing and managed systems due to the differences in protocols and services within the same manager level Translating between managing and managed systems due to the differences in system appliances only Translating between managing and managed systems due to the differences in protocols, services, and management information between hierarchical management layers Translating between managing and managed systems due to the differences in software applications only

9. (TCO 4) Which is not one of the management layer primitives that are found in most management protocols and that form the basis of management communication patterns between manager-agent relationships? (Points : 5)

Action primitives Write primitives Update primitives Event-reporting primitives Read primitives

10. (TCO 4) Which type of event typically requires management attention in a network management system? (Points : 5)

A configuration change alert A threshold-crossing alert A syslog message alert An alarm event An operator activity alert
Steve Herrod :

got them

Steve Herrod :

20 questions?

Customer:

yes, I hope it came out clear. I will go ahead and work on the once you completed.

Steve Herrod :

cool

Steve Herrod :

here are the others

Customer:

that was fast. I certainly did expect you to be done already.

Steve Herrod :

:)

Customer:

What time do you get off?

Steve Herrod :

not sure reallly - plenty of stuff to do but struggling for motivation

Customer:

I know what you mean. I have the same problem at times myself.

Steve Herrod :

:)

Customer:

can you give a minute to go over it?

Steve Herrod :

yep

Customer:

for #4, MIB and database are two separate words. MIB being the first option and Database being the second.

Steve Herrod :

ah ok - let me check

Steve Herrod :

in that case it is first option, MIB

Customer:

Can you go over #8 in the second set of questions again?

Customer:

and #7 in the second set of questions

Steve Herrod :

checking

Steve Herrod :

Might have misread 8 - should be Inventory records possibly not being accurate

Steve Herrod :

7 could be GDMO

Steve Herrod :

Guidelines for the definition of managed objects (GDMO)

Steve Herrod :

although have seen it referred with SMI before

Customer:

not that one, the other set of questions.

Steve Herrod :

this one?

Steve Herrod :

Give an example of the S in the FCAPS reference model for network management.

Customer:

this one here: Select the definition for the network management term known as management
mediation.

Steve Herrod :

not sure why two are highlighted on that one

Customer:

and this one 7. (TCO 5) Select the two types of
policies (choose from goals, rules, plans, or requests) that can be
distinguished in network management systems.
(Points : 5)

Steve Herrod :

on 7, is it only expecting one answer - I thought it meant two?

Customer:

it should one for both questions.

Customer:

there are two on each one.

Steve Herrod :

ok - 7 is Policy rules and policy plans

Steve Herrod :

8 is Translating between managing and managed systems due to the differences in system appliances only

Customer:

Thanks! For the other 8 - I believe it " should be Inventory records possibly not being accurate". Thanks for pointing that out for me. I didn't see that one.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

I hope you are finish work before going home to sleep.

Steve Herrod :

yep :)

Customer:

I will go ahead and finish the process. Once again thank you very much.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod, Masters Degree
Experience: BA (Hons) & MA Qualifications