Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

1. Two students are discussing conductor wire. Student A

Customer Question

1. Two students are discussing conductor wire. Student A says that the larger the gage number of a wire, the thicker the wire is. Student B says that the larger the gage number of a wire, the more current-carrying capacity the wire has. Which of the following statements is correct?

A. Only Student A is correct.
B. Only Student B is correct.

C. Both of the two students are correct.

D. Neither of the two students is correct.

2. In a home that has 120 V service, there is an electric appliance that has a resistance of 12 ohms. How much power will this appliance consume?

A. 10 W
B. 120 W

C. 1,200 W

D. 1,440 W

3. Student A says that a GFCI provides protection when a current-carrying path develops between a hot wire and the neutral. Student B says that GFCIs are used when outlets are placed near water, such as near a swimming pool. Which of the following statements is correct?

A. Only Student A is correct.
B. Only Student B is correct.

4. A graph of current versus time for a particular electrical circuit is shown in Figure A-1. If the electricity in this circuit cycles at a rate of 50 cycles per second, what would be the frequency in hertz?

A. 0.02 Hz
B. 5 Hz

C. 20 Hz

D. 50 Hz

FIGURE A-1—Use this illustration to answer Question 4.

5. Look at the tools that are illustrated in Figure A-2. Which of the tools shown in the figure is used to bend conduit?

A. Tool 1
B. Tool 8

C. Tool 9

D. Tool 10

FIGURE A-2—Use this illustration to answer Questions 5, 6, 7, and 8.

6. Which of the tools shown in Figure A-2 can be used to strip insulation off a piece of wire?

A. Tool 6 or Tool 7
B. Tool 9

C. Tool 10

D. Tool 12 or Tool 13

7. Which of the tools shown in Figure A-2 can be used to cut cable, conduit, or laths?

A. Tool 4
B. Tool 5

C. Tool 12

D. Tool 13

8. Which of the tools shown in Figure A-2 is used to route wire through existing walls and conduit?

A. Tool 3
B. Tool 5

C. Tool 8

D. Tool 17

9. Two students are discussing the flow of electricity. Student A says that voltage is a measure of the amount of electron flow in a circuit. Student B says that power is the product of voltage and current. Which of the following statements is correct?

A. Only Student A is correct.
B. Only Student B is correct.

10. If a 120 V appliance requires 15 A to operate, what is the resistance of the appliance?

A. 2 Ohms
B. 4 Ohms

C. 8 Ohms

D. 10 Ohms

11. Student A says that the type of conductor wire shown in Figure A-3 is commonly called armored cable. Student B says that this type of wire is commonly used in areas where there is a good chance that physical damage to the cable can occur. Which of the following statements is correct?

A. Only Student A is correct.
B. Only Student B is correct.

FIGURE A-3—Use this illustration to answer Question 11.

12. Look at the wiring layout that's shown in Figure A-4. In this layout, how many regular duplex convenience outlets are shown?

A. 3
B. 17

C. 23

D. 30

FIGURE A-4—Use this illustration to answer Questions 12, 13, 14, and 15.

13. In the wiring layout shown in Figure A-4, how many weatherproof convenience outlets are shown?

A. 3
B. 17

C. 23

D. 30

14. In the wiring layout shown in Figure A-4, how many lamp holders are shown?

A. 3
B. 17

C. 23

D. 30

15. In the wiring layout shown in Figure A-4, how many special-purpose outlets are shown?

A. 3
B. 12

C. 23

D. 30

16. Student A says that wires on a screw-type terminal connection should be installed as shown in Figure A-5. Student B says that wire nut connections are a type of soldered connection. Which of the following statements is correct?

A. Only Student A is correct.
B. Only Student B is correct.

FIGURE A-5—Use this illustration to answer Question 16.

17. According to the information provided in your study units, a 120 V branch circuit that supplies a total power of 2,000 W should be connected using a minimum wire size of AWG No. _______.

A. 8
B. 10

C. 12

D. 14

18. Two students are discussing electricity that has a frequency of 60 Hz. Student A says that this type of electricity is referred to as AC. Student B says that in this type of electricity, the electrons flow in only one direction. Which of the following statements is correc
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 11 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.