Owen
Owen, Attending Physician
Experience:  I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor
18703594

Need diagnosis and treatment for woman dilating at 25 weeks,

Need diagnosis and treatment for woman dilating at 25 weeks, who ended up having delivered at 28 weeks. Treatment for mother before baby is born and treatment for baby once baby is born. Diagnosis and treatment for both should be on sample doctor's treatment template.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Owen replied 1 year ago.

Owen :

Hello...Is this a real problem or a homework problem?

Owen :

Hi

Owen :

Are you there?

Owen :

Hi

Owen :

Are you there?

Owen :

Well get back to me when you get a chance.

Owen :

Take care.

Customer: Homework
Owen :

okay

Owen :

is this for nursing school?

Owen :

I need you to stay within chat for me...so we can finish this.

Owen :

I am actually an Ob/Gyn who actually treat these types of patients so I will give you EXACTLY what we do.

Owen :

Are you there?

Customer: Yes nursing school
Owen :

okay

Owen :

let me do some writing and it would be appreciated if you click on EXCELLENT when I am done

Owen :

thank you

Customer: Ok, cool
Customer: Thanks for the help
Owen :

Well the Diagnosis is really just called PTL - Preterm Labor - and this Usually occurs for no reason whatsoever - but sometimes infections such as a simple UTI - Urinary tract infection can cause Preterm labor

Owen :

And, the treatment for this is to admit to the hospital and check for infections such as BV - bacterial vaginosis, GBS - group B Strep, STD's such as chlamydia and gonorrhea and UTI's too.

Owen :

Then we give a medication to stop the contractions to prevent Dilation such as Magnesium sulfate, or Nifedipine.

Customer: Owen I need this on a treatment chart as outlined in the question.
Owen :

Well you can make a treatment chart from what I am giving you....

Owen :

I can't send you a chart - I can only send you words...so you can put this in words - as a nursing student you should be able to put this into a chart...

Owen :

There are a few more things:

Customer: Ok
Owen :

And, since the baby is premature - to Help develop the lungs quicker we use steroids such as Betamethasone

Owen :

And then to prevent an infection - we use antibiotics such as Penicillin

Owen :

so treatment is with a medication to stop dilation/ contraction such as Magnesium or Nifedipine

Owen :

A medication to prevent infection: Pencillin

Owen :

and a medication to develop the lungs called Betamethasone

Owen :

so you can make a template / chart for all of this

Owen :

So the top is the Diagnosis : Called Preterm Labor

Owen :

then the Treatment....

Owen :

I hope this helps

Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for giving you all this information

Owen :

thank you

Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer: How much magnesium or nifedipine? And how much penicillin and beta methadone?
Owen :

Nifedipine....

Owen :

10mg every 15 minutes for the first hour, then 10 to 20 mg every 6 hours

Owen :

Magnesium - loading dose of 4 grams, then 1 to 3 grams every hour IV

Owen :

Nifedipine is po (mouth)

Owen :

Bethamethasone is 12 mg IM every 12 hours JUST twice

Owen :

Pencillin is a loading dose of 5 million units then 2.5 million units every 4 to 6 hours

Owen :

You can make a chart for all of this with the information that I have given you

Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you -

Owen :

this is a pay for use service - thank you

Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer: Thank you for your help, will make chart.
Owen :

you are welcome

Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Owen :

thank you

Owen :

That would fair since I have given you information

Owen :

Hello

Customer: I will
Owen :

thank you

Owen :

Hi

Owen :

Please don't forget to click on EXCELLENT

Owen :

Dr Owen

Owen :

thank you

Owen, Attending Physician
Experience: I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor