Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Masters Degree
Experience:  BA (Hons) & MA Qualifications
65126503

1. (10 pt) You have been hired to develop a website-based

1. (10 pt) You have been hired to develop a website-based sales system for a large international retail firm. List and describe at least four features that are specific to the Web design of your system and customer service important to consider if your system is to be successful at attracting and keeping customers living outside of the US. Include not only characteristics of the user interface, but those issues that must be uniquely addressed to successfully service your non-US customers.

2. (2.5 pt each) In order to receive credit for these problems, you must show all of the steps you took to arrive at your answers.
(c) Convert the following decimal number to binary:
21842

(d) Convert the following binary number to decimal:
XXXXXXXXXXX 101

(c) Convert the following hexadecimal number to decimal:
CA97

(d) Convert the following binary number to hexadecimal:
1110011111011010100

CPU and Memory
3. (10 pt) ASCII, Unicode, and EBCDIC are, of course, not the only numeric / character codes. The Sophomites from the planet Collegium use the rather strange code shown in the Figure below. There are only thirteen characters in the Sophomite alphabet, and each character uses a 5-bit code. In addition, there are four numeric digits, since the Sophomites use base 4 for their arithmetic. Given the following Sophomite sequence, what is the corresponding binary message being sent by the Sophomites?

(HINT: Decode the sequence reading from left to right then write the corresponding binary sequence, leaving a space between each binary sequence.)

4. (10 pt) Define memory cache write-through and write-back techniques and describe the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Input / Output
5. Answethe follow questions about interrupts.
a. (5 pt) Describe in detail the steps that occur when a system receives an interrupt.

b. (5 pt) Describe how these steps differ in the case when a system receives multiple interrupts

Computer Systems
6. Answer the following questions about clusters.
a. (5 pt) Describe how you might use a cluster to provide fault-tolerant computing

b. (5 pt) Describe how you might use a cluster architecture to provide rapid scalability for a Web-based company experiencing rapid growth.

Networks
7. Answer the following questions about communication protocols.
a. (5 pt) Using the operations of UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) as a basis, carefully explain the difference between connectionless and connection-oriented communication.

b. (5 pt) If you were ordering a number of items from an online seller, such as amazon.com, which Protocol (TCP or UDP) would you recommend and explain why.

8. In the context of network security,
a. (3 pt) explain the purpose of non-repudiation.

b. (3 pt) How does non-repudiation differ from authentication?

c. (4 pt) Create a business scenario that illustrates the importance of each.

Data Communications

9. (2 pt each) Circle or highlight the correct answer to the following questions / statements about data communications:

(a) What characteristic of an analog signal is measured in Hertz, or cycles per second?

a. Amplitude c. Phase

b. Frequency d. Skew

(b) What measurement unit describes the speed and capacity of a communication channel?

a. Throughput c. Response Time

b. Access Time d. Data Transfer Rate

(c) ____ can be produced by a variety of sources, including electric motors, radio equipment, and nearby power transmission or communication lines.

a. EMI c. Distortion

b. Attenuation d. Signal/noise (S/N) ratio

(d) A(n) ____ can extend the range of an electrical signal by boosting signal power to overcome attenuation.

a. repeater c. amplifier

b. return wire d. signal wire

(e) Which of the following does not allow multiple messages to be carried on a single channel?

a. time division multiplexing c. packet switching

b. frequency division multiplexing d. half-duplex

Operating Systems

10. Answer the following questions about user interfaces:
(a) (5 pt) List and explain at least two of the definite advantages to the use of a

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with these

Steve Herrod :

Can you let me know when you need them by?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Steve Herrod :

I think I have completed this before

Customer:

Yeah I think you have as well. That's why I am here

Steve Herrod :

Ok - have attached the file

Steve Herrod :

btw - did you ask two questions?

Customer:

I tried to submit one with t he images attached and it timed out. Kept telling me that I wasn't allowed on the server. On my version which I can upload wherever you'd like question #2, 9-12 are different than the one that you linked to.

Customer:

How can I submit that file to you?

Customer:

Nevermind I guess that image is a file. Please let me know if you need any more info. Thanks!!!

Steve Herrod :

Ok, I'll get the other question closed

Steve Herrod :

when do you need this by?

Customer:

Sunday night East Coast Time

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

Thanks!

Steve Herrod :

welcome!

Steve Herrod :

See attached

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

steve

Steve Herrod :

Let me know if you were able to access this ok

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Got it thanks!