ehabtutor, MBA
Experience:  Software Engineer,business minor,Attending my MBA,Software company owner with 5+ y exp in management

I have a shared hosting account on 1and1 with SSH access The

I have a shared hosting account on 1and1 with SSH access

The server is a Linux server

I do not have root access.

Would it still be possible to include the linux version of Oracle on such an account?
Category: Homework
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 3 years ago.

ehabtutor :

ehabtutor :

it would be my pleasure to assist you on this issue

ehabtutor :

unfortunatley shared hostings doesn't allow you to install anything on your account, you are bound to whatever the hosting company installs on the server.

ehabtutor :

In case you need to install special software you should look for a dedicated hosting account.

ehabtutor :

If you are interested, i can send you recommendations. alternatively you can look for shared hosting plans that support the oracle version that you intend to use.

ehabtutor :

let me know the version so i can research a hosting plan for you.

ehabtutor :

ehabtutor :

ehab tutor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
actually, you are incorrect to some degree.
With SSH access, you get a linux prompt and you CAN install some items and/or compile and create them yourself.

The problem arises if those applications need ROOT priviliges or need to be in a system folder , i.e. /usr (which the shared user will not be able to write to)

On further examination, I found the Oracle install instructions had the SU command, meaning I would have to have a ROOT password. :(

thanks all the same