R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Experience:  B.Tech
20870358

Identify Null Hypothesis Ho And Alternative Hypothesis

1. Identify the null hypothesis Ho and the alternative hypothesis H1. A skeptical paranormal researcher claims that the proportion of Americans that have seen a UFO, p, is less than 1 in every one thousand.

(Points: 7)
Ho: p = 0.001, H1: p 0.001
Ho: p > 0.001, H1: p = 0.001
Ho: p 0.0008, H1: p = 0.0008
Ho: p = 0.0008, H1: p > 0.0008
Ho: p < 0.0008, H1: p = 0.0008
Ho: p = 0.0008, H1: p 62.4. (Points : 6)
1.48
1.81
1.81
-1.48

5. A researcher claims that 62% of voters favor gun control. Assuming that a hypothesis test of the claim has been conducted and that the conclusion is failure to reject the null hypothesis, state the conclusion in nontechnical terms.

(Points : 7)
There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that more than 62% of voters favor gun control.
There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim that 62% of voters favor gun control.
There is sufficient evidence to warrant rejection of the claim that 62% of voters favor gun control.
There is not sufficient evidence to warrant rejection of the claim that 62% of voters favor gun control.

6. Carter Motor Company claims that its new sedan, the Libra, will average better than 30 miles per gallon in the city. Assuming that a hypothesis test of the claim has been conducted and that the conclusion is to reject the null hypothesis, state the conclusion in nontechnical terms. Be sure to address the original claim.

(Points: 7)
There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean is less than 30 miles per gallon.
There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean is greater than 30 miles per gallon.
There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean is less than 30 miles per gallon.
There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the mean is greater than 30 miles per gallon.

7. Suppose you wish to test the claim that μ is different from 113.9. Given a sample of n = 218 and a significance level of = 0.10, what criterion would be used for rejecting the null hypothesis? Assume that the standard deviation, σ, of the population is known.

(Points: 6)
Reject Ho if test statistic > 1.645 or < -1.645.
Reject Ho if test statistic 1.645.
Reject Ho if test statistic > 1.28 or 2.33 or 2.575.
Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.575 or 2.33.

9. Suppose you wish to test the claim that μ > 10. Given a sample of n = 50 and a significance level of = 0.10, what criterion would be used for rejecting the null hypothesis? Assume that the standard deviation, σ, of the population is known.

(Points : 6)
Reject Ho if test statistic > 1.645 or 1.645.
Reject Ho if test statistic > 1.28.
Reject Ho if test statistic 28,107.

11. Find the critical value or values for the given hypothesis, sample size, and significance level. Assume that the standard deviation of the population, σ, is unknown.
H1: μ > 3.74, n = 13, = 0.01.

(Points : 7)
2.681
2.650
-2.681
-2.650

12. for a data set is 131.8, s is 16.7 and n = 12. The data is approximately normal and the standard deviation, σ, of the population is unknown

Category: Homework
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 1 year ago.

I'd be glad to help with these. Question no. 12 looks to be incomplete. Please send it again and I'll finish it and post your answer soon after.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

12 cut off. There are three other questions. I have to finish this assignment in the next 30 minutes.

12. "X with line over it" for a data set is 131.8, s is 16.7 and n = 12. The data is approximately normal and the standard deviation, σ, of the population is unknown. Ho: μ = 136.8, H1: μ "does not equal" 136.8. Should the statistician use a t distribution, a normal distribution, or neither to test the null hypothesis? (Points : 7)
Neither
t distribution
Normal distribution

13. A series of measurements on a machine part yielded the following sample statistics. The series was normally distributed. "X with line over it" = 9.19, s = 0.19, n = 23. For the part to fit properly in the assembled product, the measurement should be 9.361. The standard deviation, σ, of the population is unknown. Should the statistician use a t distribution, a normal distribution, or neither to test the null hypothesis?

(Points : 7)
t distribution
Neither
Normal distribution

14. A radio show producer believes that a new proposed format would be preferred by only 15% of their current listeners. A survey of 100 current listeners showed that 21% favored the new format. Does the producer know his business? H1: p>0.15. Confidence level: 99%. What is the value of the appropriate test statistic to test the null hypothesis? (Points : 7)
1.680
2.218
1.042
5.209

15. You wish to test the claim that μ = 74.1 at the "ALPHA" = 0.01 significance level. In a sample of n = 19, the sample mean is 80.3 and the standard deviation of the sample is s=6.5. What is the value of the appropriate test statistic?

(Points : 7)
-4.16
4.16
0.95
18.12

Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 1 year ago.

Here are answers to questions which appeared properly

https://app.box.com/s/5q7q0ybs2codbdzqp3c1

Let me know if you need help with any other problems. Just add 'RRJha' at the start of your new question and I'll get back to you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ones that did not post correctly:

2. Identify the null hypothesis Ho and the alternative hypothesis H1. An entomologist writes an article in a scientific journal which claims that fewer than 8 in ten thousand male fireflies are unable to produce light due to a genetic mutation. Use the parameter p, the true proportion of fireflies unable to produce light.

(Points: 7)
Ho: p > 0.0008, H1: p = 0.0008
Ho: p = 0.0008, H1: p > 0.0008
Ho: p < 0.0008, H1: p = 0.0008
Ho: p = 0.0008, H1: p < 0.0008

3. Assume that the data has a normal distribution. Also assume that the standard deviation of the population, sigma, is known. Find the critical value(s) used to test a null hypothesis: level of significance pq7_1 = 0.02 for a left-tailed test.

(Points: 6)
-1.96
e4_8 1.96
e4_8 2.05
-2.05

4. Assume that the data has a normal distribution. Also assume that the standard deviation of the population, sigma, is known. Find the critical value(s) used to test a null hypothesis: level of significance pq7_1 = 0.07; H1 is μ > 62.4.

(Points: 6)

1.48
e4_8 1.81
1.81
-1.48

8. Suppose you wish to test the claim that μ = 3.45. Given a sample of n = 32 and a significance level of pq7_1 = 0.01, what criterion would be used for rejecting the null hypothesis? Assume that the standard deviation, σ, of the population is known.

(Points: 6)
Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.33 or < -2.33.
Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.575.
Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.575 or < -2.575.
Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.33.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And #10 as well. Again, I apologize for not properly cut and pasting the first time.

10. A population is normally distributed with a standard deviation σ = 336. We wish to test the hypotheses Ho: μ = 28,107; H1: μ > 28,107. A 194-item sample has a mean .e3_29 = 28,678.2. Compute the value of the test statistic
(Points: 7)
2353.95
0.12
23.68
989.29

Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Experience: B.Tech