1.The words hum and ham are examples of which sound device?
2.Read the following lines from " There Is No Word for Goodbye":
A shade of feeling rippled the wind-tanned skin.
To which senses does the imagery in these lines appeal?
a. sight only
b. sight and touch
c. touch and taste
d. touch only
3. Is the following an example of a simile, metaphor, paradox, or personification?
The younger she dresses, the older she looks.
4.Which sound device does this phrase demonstrate?
cruel cackles of crazed crones
5. In " Summer," which of the following best describes the speaker's attitude toward the season of summer?
6. Which of the following best defines the term rhyme scheme in poetry?
a. the repetition of initial consonant sounds
b. the pattern of end rhymes
c. the pattern created by stressed and unstressed syllables
d. the use of a connecting word to make a comparison
7. The word fizz is an example of which sound device?
8.The primary subject of " The Raven" is which of the following?
a. a mysterious journey
b. a dead woman
c. a grieving man
d. a tormented dream
9. The words jump and stunt are examples of which sound device?
10.In " Summer," the word buzzin is an example of which of the following sound devices?
11. Is the following an example of a simile, metaphor, paradox, or personification?
An angry sky loomed overhead.
12. Is the following an example of a simile, metaphor, paradox, or personification?
Her novel was a passport to adventure.
13. To which sense do these images from "There Is No Word for Goodbye" mainly appeal?
Looking through the net of wrinkles into wise black pools of her eyes
14. Is the following an example of a simile, metaphor, paradox, or personification?
The running storm sounded like a freight train headed our way.
15. In poetry, a quatrain may be defined as which of the following?
a. a poem consisting of fourteen lines
b. a poem consisting of seventeen syllables
c. a stanza consisting of four lines
d. the prologue to an epic
16. In " Dream Deferred," the lines " Or crust and sugar over-/ like a syrupy sweet?" are an example of which kind of figurative language?
17. In " There Is No Word for Goodbye," whom does the speaker address?
a. her mother
b. her aunt
c. her daughter
d. the reader
18. Which of the following terms identifies the type of poem " The Raven" is ?
19. Which of the following is the best paraphrase of the line, "What happens to a dream deferred?"
a. Putting off a dream can be disappointing, even dangerous.
b. Some dreams must be put off.
c. What happens when a dream is not realized?
d. What happens when people dream?
20.In " There Is No Word for Goodbye," what is the meaning of " Sokoya" in Alaskan Athabaskan?
Thanks Shaunta. I'll work on these and get back to you shortly.