Martin, Physicist
Experience:  20+ years of research, engineering and teaching
47181708

For Marty1.Name the three kinds of strength used to characterize

Customer Question

For Marty

1.Name the three kinds of strength used to characterize materials AND give an example of a material that are strong in each of these modes.

2.What kinds of bonding occurs in each of the three materials you listed in question #1?

3.Explain how atoms can be arranged in such a way to create a permanent magnet.

4.Identify 10 objects in your home that use semiconductors. What other kinds of materials with special electrical properties are found in all of these 10 objects?

5.Research the status of magnetically levitated trains like the one now operating in China. How does it operate? How fast might it go?

6.How does a nuclear reactor work?

7.What types of researchers and scientists use carbon-14 radiometric dating? What type of researcher would use the other isotopes such as uranium-238?

8.Use the periodic table to identify the element, its atomic number, mass number and electrical charge of the following:
# XXXXX # XXXXX# XXXXX;Element Symbol;Atomic Number;Mass;Electrical Charge
1 0 1
8 8 8
17 18 18
36 50 36

9.Potassium-40 decays into argon-40 with a half-life of 1.2 billion years. A particular mineral grain is known to have had a million potassium atoms in its crystal structure when it formed. When the grain was ground up, scientists discovered 750,000 atoms of argon-40. When did the grain form? (Hint: Use Figure 12-10 on page 272 to obtain a qualitative estimate).

10.What are the half-lives of the following common isotopes:

o Carbon-14:
o Uranium-238:
o Uranium-235:
Category: Homework
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know, otherwise, no need to reply. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  akch2002 replied 1 year ago.
How much time you can allow to reply these questions? Kindly indicate word count for q 5 and 6.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need answers by Sunday, 21 Jul 2013. There is no word count for questions 5&6.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for requesting me! I'm working on your problems now. I'll have them done well before your deadline.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As copy and paste doesn't always work the way we want it, do I need to send question 8 again? If you have any confusion, the first row (top to bottom i.e. 1, 8, 17, 36) of numbers fall under Protons, the second row under Neutrons, and the last row falls under Electrons. I have never submitted questions to this site so if I receive more than one response, how do I deal with choosing one other than what appears to be the most correct answers?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks, I've got the idea for question 8 now.

I'll be the only one providing an answer. Since you requested me and I am working with you now, no other expert will answer unless for some reason I opt out or you opt to work with another expert.

Could you tell me the exact deadline (date, time and timezone)? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The deadline is Tuesday at midnight eastern time, but I would like it Sunday so I can compare it to what I already have. I don't plan to submit your work as mine own. I use as reference and to find answers in the text book or try and understand what the text book is trying to tell me. It usually takes me a couple of days to work on it. Hope that answers your question.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that's fine. I will have your answers complete by Sunday. Thanks!
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Martin, Physicist
Experience: 20+ years of research, engineering and teaching
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Martin,

How do I give bonuses?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I believe that when you accept and rate my answer, you will have the opportunity to add a bonus at that stage. And thanks in advance for any bonus you might add! :)
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Hope you're doing well. If you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to help you. Just put "For Martin" at the beginning of each question, and I'll be sure to get them. Thanks!