Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.

1.In general, the approach to stress embraced by psychoneuroimmunologi

Customer Question

1.In general, the approach to stress embraced by psychoneuroimmunologists focuses on

A.the outcomes of stress.

B.the brain and the body.

C.psychological factors and the immune system.

D.the brain and the immune system.

2.Mandy has decided that she has no control over the aversive stimuli she encounters at work and at home day by day. Thus, she has given up trying to make her life better. Psychologists would say Mandy's worldview illustrates

A.problem-focused coping.

B.emotion-focused coping.

C.learned helplessness.

D.learned avoidant coping.

3.Which statement best expresses the concept of the self-serving bias?

A.We attribute our successes to our skills and abilities and our failures to external factors.

B.We nearly always assume that other people's failures are due to their personal characteristics.

C.we tend to think other people are similar to us, even when we first meet them.

D.We assume that situational causes are brought about by the environment.

4.Aggressiveness builds up in people because of human nature. It can be safely expressed before it reaches a "boiling point" through the catharsis offered by aggressive sports and games. These kinds of ideas are associated with

A.frustration-aggression theory.

B.observational learning theories.

C.social learning theories.

D.instinct approaches to aggression.

5.The more people there are at the scene of an accident, the less likely it is that individuals will step up to lend a hand. This phenomenon is referred to as

A.diffusion of responsibility.

B.antisocial behavior.

C.crowd apathy.

D.diffusion of interest.

6.Two psychology students are in a heated discussion about the nature of prejudice. Mavis insists that that when people get their identity from membership in a political action group, they will generally express ethnocentrism. Martin argues that with or without ethnocentrism, social identity based in group membership is inevitably associated with the demonization of minority groups. Who is correct?

A.Neither Mavis nor Martin is correct.

B.Martin is correct.

C.Mavis is correct.

D.Both Mavis and Martin are correct.

7.Which of the following statements regarding stereotypes and prejudice is true?

A.A self-fulfilling prophecy always precedes prejudice.

B.Where there are stereotypes we always find prejudice.

C.Discrimination is to action as prejudice is to attitudes.

D.Stereotypes may be positive or negative.

8.In the context of stress, the flip side of an uplift is

A.any cataclysmic event.

B.background chaos.

C.a hassle.

D.a personal stressor.

9.As discussed in your textbook, the Implicit Association Test (IAT)

A.requires subjects to react to a series of black and white faces.

B.has revealed that most people aren't prejudiced.

C.requires people to openly express and reveal their latent prejudices.

D.is based on a culture-free questionnaire.

10.A popular talk show host, jovial and sharp-witted as usual, outlines his views on the death penalty, taking time to consider both sides of the issue. As a long-time listener to that talk show, if you're swayed to adopt the talk-show host's point of view, it will

probably be due to

A.the medium of the message (radio).

B.the character of the message.

C.your temperament and character.

D.your tendency to employ peripheral route processing.

11.Which of the following statements best illustrates the concept of the halo effect?

A.After Clark missed the foul shot, Coach Smart told him to try practicing for a change.

B.Grenville maintains that Hannibal's faults lie not with the stars but within his character.

C.Observing that Lois is argumentative and abrasive, Leopold assumes she is a skilled liar.

D.On first meeting Sally, Harry recognized that he and Sally were like two peas in a pod.

12.In the "teacher-learner" experiments conducted by Stanley Milgram, ______ percent of the experimental subjects eventually applied the "lethal" 450-volt shock to the "learner."

A.65

B.15

C.35

D.2

13.In hearing a persuasive message, some people will evaluate it in terms of factors that have nothing to do with the content of the message. When this happens, psychologists speak of _______ route processing.

A.peripheral

B.incidental

C.central

D.inductive

14.Particular factors encourage people to be drawn into liking one another. In this context, the reciprocity of liking effect is primarily associated with

A.exposure.

B.similarity.

C.propinquity.

D.physical attractiveness.

15.According to Sternberg, intimacy plus decision/commitment identifies

A.fatuous love.

B.true friendship.

C.companionate love.

D.liking.

16.Four steps are involved in a person's decision to offer assistance in an emergency situation. The third step is

A.deciding how to help.

B.interpreting the event as requiring someone to offer assistance.

C.appraisal of one's skills and experience in dealing with emergencies.

D.assuming responsibility for rendering assistance.

17.In respect to the foundations of prejudice, social identity theory is associated with the concept of

A.self-fulfilling prophecy.

B.modern racism.

C.ethnocentrism.

D.stereotypical discrimination.

18.Jason and Julia are preparing for a quiz in Psychology 101. Jason recites four reasons for seeking out a social support network. Julia, who has top grades in the class, gives her nod of approval to all but one of Jason's list. Which one is she most likely to reject?

A.Support group membership can help a participant feel valued by others.

B.Group members can help a participant with practical things like finding a new job.

C.Being in a social support network helps a person learn how to win arguments.

D.Being a member of a social support network can help reduce a person's stress levels.

19.Sternberg's model of the kinds of love identifies which of the following basic components?

A.Consummate attraction

B.Commitment/decision

C.Sexuality

D.Spirituality

20.On first meeting XXXXX XXXXX from Edinburgh, Clark Mason, a native of Seattle, immediately decides that he and Ian have similar attitudes, feelings, and worldviews. Psychologists say this sort of thing illustrates the

A."birds of a feather" error.

B.self-serving bias.

C.fundamental attribution error.

D.assumed-similarity bias.

21.The foot-in-the-door technique and the that's-not-all technique are persuasive tactics for gaining

A.reciprocity.

B.obedience.

C.conformity.

D.compliance.

22.With respect to the fundamental attribution error, it turns out that in other cultures, like those of Asia, there's a/an _______ orientation to others that emphasizes interdependence.

A.philosophical

B.individualistic

C.ntrapersonal

D.collectivist

23.In the context of social cognition, what is the primary importance of schemas?

A.They help us organize, store, and recall information about other people.

B.They help us differentiate good people from bad people.

C.They allow us to correctly identify the central traits of other people.

D.They provide accurate and truthful information about social situations and other people.

24.The concept of aggression cues is associated with

A.frustration-aggression theory.

B.observational learning theories.

C.the work of animal behaviorist Konrad Lorenz.

D.social learning theories.

25.The last stage in the GAS model of stress is

A.flight or fight.

B.exhaustion.

C.adaptation.

D.resistance

Category: Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 1 year ago.

Ray Atkinson :

Is there a deadline for this, please?

Customer :

I already did the work, but thanks anyway!

Ray Atkinson :

Oh, okay. Not a problem. Let us know if you need help in the future.