Linda_us
Linda_us, Finance, Accounts & Homework Tutor
Experience:  Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)

1. As a rule, you should expect most stocks to have market

1.
As a rule, you should expect most stocks to have market prices that are below their book value.
A) True
B) False
2.
When investors say that the market is efficient, they mean that

A) securities consistently trade at prices very close to their intrinsic values.
B) the business cycles that underlie stock fluctuations occur in a somewhat predictable fashion.
C) the closing prices of all stocks can be found quickly and easily in the Wall Street Journal and in most daily newspapers.
D) industrial production, and overall productivity in the economy, is growing at a constant pace.
3.
Which of the following statements concerning technical indicators is FALSE?

A) The market is considered so strong as the number of stocks that advance in price on a given day exceeds the number that decline.
B) The market is expected to increase immediately when the volume of short sales begins to rise.
C) The stock market is considered strong when market volume falls during a market decline.
D) The market is expected to continue along its current trend when there is little difference between the volume of odd-lot purchases and sales.
4.
If a corporation declares a 10% stock dividend, then

A) the share price of the stock will most likely increase 10%.
B) each share holder will get a 10% cash rebate off his or her next round lot purchase of stock.
C) the share price of the stock will most likely decline 10%.
D) the share price of the stock will most likely remain unchanged.
5.
An internal rate of return (IRR) is the discount rate that

A) produces a present value of future benefits equial to the market price of the stock.
B) is the minimal rate that a buy-and-hold linvestor will accept.
C) represents the minimal rate than an individual investor will accept.
D) produces a future value equal to or greater than an investor's require rate of return.
6.
As a general rule, which of the following statements concerning the various values of common stock is correct?
A) Market values are usually below par values.
B) Book values are usually below market values.
C) Market values are usually below book values.
D) Par values are usually above book values.
7.
A total asset turnover of 3 means that every

A) total assets are replaced every 3 years.
B) $1 in sales is supported by $3 in assets.
C) $1 in assets produces $3 in sales.
D) $3 in assets produces $1 in net earnings.
8.
New Century, Inc. paid $2.10 in dividends per share last year. The company is expected to increase their annual dividends by 3% annually for the next 5 years. Mike as assigned a required rate of return of 13% to this stock. How much should Mike pay for one share of New Century stock?
A) $16.15
B) $16.64
C) $21.00
D) $21.63
9.
The consumer durables sector tends ot perform well when

A) the economy is in a recession.
B) interest rates are high.
C) disposable income is low.
D) unemployment rates are low.
10.
The constant-growth dividend valuation model is best suited for use with

A) small-cap stocks within growing industries.
B) the stocks of cyclical companies.
C) the stocks of mature companies.
D) stocks of new or emerging companies.
11.
Investors are most interested in which of the following ratios?

A) return on equity.
B) current ratio.
C) net profit margin.
D) return on assets.
12.
All else being equal, an investor will prefer a stock with a

A) constant P/E ratio.
B) stagnant P/E ratio.
C) falling P/E ratio.
D) rising P/E ratio.
13.
Stock dividends create taxable income at the time the dividend is declared.
A) True
B) False
14.
Treasury stock can be used to do all of the following EXCEPT

A) meet employee stock option plans.
B) reduce the interest expense of the firm.
C) pay stock dividends.
D) pay for mergers and acquisitions.
15.
If a firm has a return on assets (ROA) of 10% and a return on equity (ROE) of 10%, which of the following statements concerning this firm is correct?

A) The firm is losing money.
B) The operating results of the firm must be growing.
C) The firm must have enough cash on hand to pay some extra dividends.
D) The firm must have no financial leverage.
16.
The major forces behind earnings per share are

A) return on assets and total asset turnover.
B) return on assets and book value.
C) return on equity and book value.
D) return on equity and the equity multiples.
17.
Fundamental analysis rests on the belief that the value of a stock is influenced by the performance of the company that issued the stock.

A) True
B) False
18.
Intrinsic value is based on which of the following factors?

I. The applied discount rate

II. The amount of risk inherent in a particular stock

III. Historical net profits of the company

IV. Estimated future cash flows of the company

A) I, II and III only;
B) II and IV only;
C) I, II and IV only;
D) I, II, III and IV
19.
The greater the perceived risk of an asset, the lower the expected rate of return.
A) True
B) False
20.
On December 31, the Foxglove Company reported the following information on its financial statement
Category: Homework
Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Welcome and Thanks for asking your questions. I can help you with these questions. Please let me know your deadline.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to submit my answers before 9:00pm tonight

Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
I am working on them now and should post the solution in 30-40 minutes.

Also question 20 is incomplete. Please post it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

20.

On December 31, the Foxglove Company reported the following information on its financial statements: Total current assets = $240,000 Total long-term assets = $100,000 Total current liabilities = $80,000 Total long-term debt = $90,000 Stockholder's equity = $50,000. According to this information, Foxglove's current ratio is

A) 4.25
B)
1.80
C)
2.00
D)
3.00

Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Experience: Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)
Expert:  Linda_us replied 12 months ago.
Hi Vincent,

I see that you have requested me for a new question. Unfortunately I cannot access it. Please post the question in this link so that it comes to me.

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=19873544&FID=8349

Also do write FOR LINDA at the start of the post so that it comes to my attention immediately.
Thanks
The above link is taking you to a different expert.

Please use this link

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=19873544&FID=8348
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

P6.2 An investor deposits $20,000 into a new brokerage account. The investor buys 1,00 shares of Tipco stock for $19 per share. Two weeks later, the investor sells the Tipco stock for $20 per share. When the investor receives his brokerage account statement, he sees that there is a balance of $20,900 in his account:

Item Number Price per Share Total Transaction Account Bal

1.Deposit $20,000 $20,000

2.Tipco

purchase 1,000 shares $19 ( $19,000) $20,000

3.Tipco sale 1,000 shares $20 $20,000 $21,000

4.

5.Balance $20,000

What belongs in item 4 on this statement?

P6.4 Lots ov’ Profit, Inc., is trading at $25 per share. There are 250 million shares outstanding. What is the market capitalization of this company?

P6.6 On January 1 2010, an investor bought 200 shares of Gottahavit, Inc., for $50 per share. On January 3 2011, the investor sold the stock for $55 per share. The stock paid quarterly dividend of $0.25 per share. How much (in $) did the investor earn on his investment, and, assuming the investor is in the 33% tax bracket, how much will she pay in income taxes on this transaction?

P6.8 East Coast Utilities is currently trading at $28 per share. The company pays quarterly dividend of $0.28 per share. What is the dividend yield?

P6.10 Wilfred Nadeau owns 200 shares of Consolidated Glue. The company’s board of directors recently declared a cash dividend of 50 cents a share payable April 18 ( a Wednesday) to shareholders of record on March 22 ( a Thursday).

1. How much in dividends, if any, will Wilfred receive if he sells his stock on March 20?

2. Assume Wilfred decides to hold onto the stock rather than sell it. If he belongs to the company’s dividend reinvestment plan, how many new shares of stock will he receive if the stock is currently trading at $40 and the plan offers a 5% discount on the share price of the stock? (assume that all of Wilfred’s dividends are diverted to the plan.) Will Wilfred have to pay any taxes on these dividends, given that he is taking them in stock rather than cash?

P6.12 Using the resources available at your campus or public library, or on the Internet, select any three common stocks you like and determine the latest book value per share, earnings per share, dividend payout ratio, and dividend yield for each. (Show all your calculation.)

P7.2 BOOKV has $750,000,000 in total assets no preferred stock, and total liabilities of $300,000,000. There are 300,000,000 shares of common stock outstanding. The stock is selling for $5.25 per share. What is the price-to-book ratio?

P8.2 Growth Co had sales of $55 million in 2008, and is expected to have sales of $83,650,000 for 2011. The company’s net profit margin was 5% in 2008, and is expected to increase 8% by by 2011. Estimate the company’s net profit for 2011.

P9.2 Listed below are data that pertain to the corporate bond market.

Period 1 Period 2 Period3 Period4

Average yield on 10 high-grade 5.30% 5.70% 5.10% ?

Corporate bonds

Yield on the Dow Jones average of 6.50% ? 6.00% 4.90% 40 corporate bonds

Yield spread (in basis points) ? 155 ? 25

Confidence index ? ? ? ?

1. Compute the confidence index for each of the four periods listed above.

2. Assume the latest confidence index (for period 0, in effect) amounts to 86.83%, while the yield spread between high – and average-grade corporate bonds is 85 basis points. Based on your calculations, what’s happening to bond yield spreads and the confidence index over the period of time covered in the problem (i.e., from period ) through period 4)?

3. Based on the stock market? In which one or more periods (1 through 4 ) is the confidence index bullish? In which one(s) is it bearish?

P9.4 Below are figures representing the number of stocks making new highs and new lows for each month over a six-month period:

Month New Highs New Lows

July 117 22

August 95 34

September 84 41

October 64 79

November 53 98

December 19 101

____________________________________

Would a technical analyst consider the trend to be bullish or bearish over this period?

P9.6 At the end of trading day you find that the advance/decline ratio for the session was 1.2 What does that mean?

P9.8 You have collected the following NH-NL indicator data:

______Day NH-NL Indicator

1 (yesterday) 100

2 95

3 61

4 43

5 -15

6 -45

7 -82

8 -86

9 -92

10 -71

_______________________________________

If you are a technician following a momentum-based strategy, are you buying or selling today?

P9.10 You find the closing prices for a stock you own. You want to use a 10-day moving average to monitor the stock. Calculate the 10-day moving average for 10 days 11 through 20. Based on the data in the table below, are there any signals you should act on? Explain.

Day Closing Price Day Closing price

1 $25.25 11 $30.00

2 $26.00 12 30.00

3 $27.00 13 31.00

4 $28.00 14 31.50

5 $27.00 15 31.00

6 $28.00 16 32.00

7 $27.50 17 29.00

8 $29.00 18 29.00

9 $27.00 19 28.00

10 $28.00 20 27.00

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Good Morning did you get my questions?

I thought you would be creating a new post.

I can answer them in this post itself please close the other open post so that you are not charged for that and once I post the solution you can rate this post so that I get credit.

Please let me know your deadline.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

1.Deposit $20,000 $20,000

2.Tipco

4.

5.Balance $20,000

1. Assume Wilfred decides to hold onto the stock rather than sell it. If he belongs to the company’s dividend reinvestment plan, how many new shares of stock will he receive if the stock is currently trading at $40 and the plan offers a 5% discount on the share price of the stock? (assume that all of Wilfred’s dividends are diverted to the plan.) Will Wilfred have to pay any taxes on these dividends, given that he is taking them in stock rather than cash?

Period 1 Period 2 Period3 Period4

Corporate bonds

Confidence index ? ? ? ?

1. Assume the latest confidence index (for period 0, in effect) amounts to 86.83%, while the yield spread between high – and average-grade corporate bonds is 85 basis points. Based on your calculations, what’s happening to bond yield spreads and the confidence index over the period of time covered in the problem (i.e., from period ) through period 4)?

1. Based on the stock market? In which one or more periods (1 through 4 ) is the confidence index bullish? In which one(s) is it bearish?

Month New Highs New Lows

July 117 22

August 95 34

September 84 41

October 64 79

November 53 98

December 19 101

____________________________________

Day NH-NL Indicator

1 (yesterday) 100

2 95

3 61

4 43

5 -15

6 -45

7 -82

8 -86

9 -92

10 -71

_______________________________________

Day Closing Price Day Closing price

1) $25.25 11) $30.00

2) $26.00 12) 30.00

3) $27.00 13) 31.00

4) $28.00 14) 31.50

5) $27.00 15) 31.00

6) $28.00 16) 32.00

7) $27.50 17) 29.00

8) $29.00 18) 29.00

9) $27.00 19) 28.00

10) $28.00 20) 27.00

Please let me know your deadline and total offer for this assignment.