TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems

Knowledgeable with Microsoft Access

Josie, did you just respond?  I tried accessing your response here but no luck.

Hi, I need someone who is knowledgeable with Microsoft Access to do what my teacher didn't, which is write down an explanation/solutions for how to do a fairly simple assignment. I can copy and paste it here. I'm using Office 2013.

Hello and thank you for your question. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Please zip up any files you have any upload them to

Once uploaded, you will be given a link on the right. Click on the 'Copy Link' option and then paste it here.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doc,

I just uploaded it. Can you let me know if you receive ok? What I'm looking for is a step-by-step. We did the assignment in class, but I learn better by reading than by watching the steps.

Hello again, Jason.

As mentioned in my previous reply, you must paste the download link into this thread. The site I gave you is a third-party sharing site. Without the download link, there is no possible way that I can access your files.

When you upload, there will be a small link on the right. Click on the 'Copy Link' option and then paste that link here so that I can retrieve the files.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does this work?

Yes, that works.

Please also send me the Northwind database. The assignment says "Using Northwind database"

I need that database in order to provide you with instructions.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks again. Here's the new link:

Thank you.

I will contact you once this is ready.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks.

Hello again Jason!

You can download step-by-step instructions for each question here:

Attachment: 2013-07-08_015654_databaseinstructions.docx

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help.

If you require assistance in the future, please feel free to request me directly by starting your question with **For TheDoctor**

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Doctor,

Thanks for doing this so quickly. We've got a test in a few weeks & Access will be a part of it.

If it's ok with you, I'll likely have some questions on some of these. Is it ok to email these? One in particular was regarding the items under $5. The list that the query generated had several duplicates. I tried everywhere to find out how to hide the duplicates but couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks again,

Hello again,

If you followed the instructions that I sent correctly, there are absolutely no duplicates. I ran each query myself. If you are getting duplicates, then you didn't do something correctly. You can zip up your modified database file and send it to me. Tell me what the query is called and I will take a look at it.

Please remember to rate my answer. You may ask follow up questions before or after leaving a positive rating.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks again. Give me a day and I'll rate and pay the balance.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor,

I've been so busy that I haven't even had time to review. I've got 2 full-time jobs and my time is not my own! I will look it over today though. Will you be around for a question or two?

Hello again Jason,

If the questions are directly related to this specific Microsoft Access assignment, yes; I will be available.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor,

Thanks again for your help. I'd benefit with screenshots of some of the steps you've outlined.

Here's mine for #4. I'm following your directions as written but getting error messages. Here's a link to the screenshot:

Also, can this email be set up instead to accept attachments? My files aren't large and the extra step of the cloud is creating more work.

Thanks again,

Your screenshot is does not remotely follow the directions.

4) Find top 3 employees that generated most sales.

1.) Select "Create" in the menu
2.) Select "Query Design" from the ribbon
3.) Double click on Employees and Orders
4.) Click on "Close" to close the list of tables
5.) In the employees table in the query designer, double click on EmployeeID, LastName, FirstName
6.) In the ribbon, under design, select "Totals" – it is the big Sigma sign
7.) In the first available "Field" in the bottom boxes, type in Sales : OrderID and press enter.
8.) Under Total for that field, select "Count". The first three fields should automatically be set to Group By
9.) For this new field, select Sort – Descending
10.) In the ribbon, under design, change Returns from All to 5
11.) Save the query
12.) Run the query

In the first available FIELD. As in the cell labeled "Field". Not in the "Or" field. You placed it in the "Or" field, which would definitely cause errors. Then, every step after that is not followed correctly.

There should be four fields. You didn't use the next available fields. You only have three fields and you placed what I told you to place in the next available field into the or value of the first field.

Your query should look almost exactly like the screenshot that I already sent for #5, since #4 and #5 are almost identical.

You stated that this assignment was already completed. If you follow the instructions correctly, they all work perfectly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey -- you know what? I've had about all I can take of your sniveling condescension for one lifetime.

I followed your directions and tried entering Sales : OrderID in the 4th field from the left. It gave me an error message, so I tried entering it in table #1.

Hello again, Jason. I apologize if you read any kind of condescension. I assure that there was none intended.

As I stated before, if you send me your Microsoft Access file and tell me what you named the query, I can take a look at it and make any corrections. I can then send it back to you and let you know exactly what was done.

The instructions are correct, and I ran each one myself. If you would like me to send you a completed file, I can do that as well. Since you stated that the assignment was already completed, I had assumed that you already had the completed queries and did not need them. If you do need them, just let me know and I will send them.

Also, I could take a screen cast of any single question, showing how to do each step, and showing that each one works.

Finally, if you take a look at the screen shot that I sent you for #5, you can see exactly what #4 should look like.

Again, if you would like the database file with all of the queries completed let me know. Or if you would like to send me your file, please do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No thanks -- I would like someone else to assist.

Hello again Jason,

I am sorry that you feel that way.

You can download the database file here:

In the file there is a query called QUERY4-DONE.

You will see the query in question, exactly as the instructions state. Simply press the run button in the ribbon and you will see that it runs without an error.

You asked for instructions on 10 queries and received accurate, step-by-step, instructions for each. If you need each of the 10 queries completed for you, simply state so.

I apologize that you are frustrated and read a tone into my text that was absolutely not there. I am more than willing to help you and have, from the beginning, offered many different options for you to send me what you have done so that I can provide feedback.

I have offered the completed file. I have offered to review your file. I have offered to take a screen cast of each step being completed. I thank you for sending a screen shot, but there is not much I can do with that. You stated that you tried to follow the instructions before and then moved the Sales : OrderID after it didn't work. But I never had an opportunity to see that "not work" or what you could have done wrong. That is why I have suggested multiple times that you save your files with the issue in it and send it to me so that I can provide you with feedback.

Why I have offered a couple different times to send you the file with all of the queries completed is so that you could see the steps completed. This has the same affect as a screen shot, but you would also be able to play around with the queries, view the SQL, change conditions and see what happens, etc. You could still complete everything in your file, but have a file to go to and see if you got it right or what you need to do when you get stumped.

In any case. I again apologize that you appear to be frustrated. If you would like the completed file, just let me know. I would be happy to send that to you.

Thank you so much and have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The best way to do this is probably using either screenshots or a simple webinar that shows the steps. JustAnswer should set it up so that the Expert can record their own problem-solving steps. This back and forth and discourteous treatment negates the whole purpose of this website and its purported services.

Hello again Jason,

I wanted to send you these couple files:

In that zip is the instruction file with screen shots for every question. And in the accdb file, you will find every query completed. They are named Query3-Done, Query4-Done, Query5-Done, etc.

You can, of course, work with a different professional. I just wanted to make sure that you had these files.

Thank you so much for your question and have a wonderful day!

Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Josie,

No unfortunately, I still would like the assistance that wasn't provided. I paid the $60 and am not asking for a refund, but I would appreciate the help from someone else who provide what I asked for on 7/14. Can someone please do this? I work full-time and have been looking forward to this assistance, especially after calling in an sending a seaparate email as requested.

Hello Jason,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

We appreciate your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!