FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer, Accountant and Researcher

I would like help with two tests

Customer Question

I would like help with two tests
Category: Homework
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi!

I may be able to assist you. What is the subject and what is the format of the questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. One of the nine ways, or patterns, of developing an essay is

A. process.

B. editing.

C. disputation.

D. elaboration.

2. What is the dominant pattern of development in this passage?

Having been raised on a dairy farm in rural Minnesota, Lorie Ann Kline was having trouble adjusting to life

in the city and to Central High School. In a conference with her parents, the school guidance counselor

explained that Lorie Ann avoided talking to her fellow students and sat by herself in the lunchroom.

Perhaps most disturbing, her grades were not what one would expect given her high scholastic aptitude

scores. Mrs. Kline agreed that Lorie Ann was often shy around strangers. A solemn Mr. Kline explained

that his daughter had been severely bullied by two older children who had lived at the farm for a short time.

The guidance counselor nodded in understanding.

A. Narration

B. Comparison and contrast

C. Description

D. Process

3. Karen asserts that a thesis statement is best developed as part of the prewriting process. Kyle claims that

a thesis statement should be completely developed before the writer is sure of the topic. Who is correct?

A. Only Karen is correct.

B. Only Kyle is correct.

C. Both Karen and Kyle are correct.

D. Neither Karen nor Kyle is correct.

4. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows.

I've never actually met a real live humorist. Well, not in person at any rate. However, one summer, having

a lot of time on my hands, I discovered unexpected treasures lurking in the local public library. Among the

nuggets I unearthed in those musty stacks was a book by humorist Robert Benchley. To this day I

remember one of his quips. He wrote, "There are two kinds of people in this world; those who divide the

world into two kinds of people and those who don't." After laughing out loud, I became pensive. I

wondered why the quip was so funny. A year or so later, I formed a theory. Humor is based on the

unexpected.(br)In the passage above, the topic sentence and the thesis are one and the same.

What makes the last sentence effective as a thesis statement?

A. Humor

B. Simplicity

C. Assertion

D. Specific detail

5. One of the benefits to highlighting key points is that

A. it sorts the good ideas from the bad ideas.

B. you can skim, rather than read every word.

C. it ensures active reading.

D. it eliminates note taking.

6. Which of the following titles is made more effective by alliteration?

A. Guns: Our Lethal Heritage

B. Ruby, the Rose of Roslyn

C. What's in a Name?

D. Now You See It; Now You Don't

7. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows.

In the paragraph about Robert Benchley, what types of evidence does the writer use to support his thesis,

other than narration?

A. Example

B. Comparison and contrast

C. Classification

D. Historical background

8. Which of the following statements best identifies a learning style that's creative, verbal, and independent?

A. Cameron loves to diagram the different aspects or meanings of an idea.

B. Karen loves sorting out facts, especially when she can help her classmates visualize them in novel and interesting ways.

C. Loren writes poetry because she enjoys experimenting with words to evoke emotions.

D. Bart enjoys sitting in public places with his brother analyzing people, especially when he is trying to come up with a plot for a

short story.

9. When you write, the tone, vocabulary, and type of information you choose should vary depending on

your

A. audience.

B. education.

C. values.

D. biases.

10. To narrow a general topic you've selected, which pair of techniques is most likely to be effective?

A. Questioning and choosing an issue that interests you

B. Using a branching diagram and consulting your journal

C. Freewriting and questioning

D. Branching diagram and questioning

11. In searching out the key elements as you read an essay, you're most likely to discover the author's

support for his or her claims or ideas in the

A. introductory paragraph.

B. title.

C. conclusion.

D. body of the essay.

12. Please read the following excerpt from an essay. The sentences are numbered to help you

respond to the question that follows.

(1) After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. (2) Why did some kids from

my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn't? (3) I started out with a question: What causes

young people to make bad choices? (4) Now, after two years of research, I've arrived at the conclusion

that there is no simple answer. (5) There is no one reason why good kids go bad, but there are typical

reasons.

(6) According to my research, teenagers are most likely to get into trouble if they hang out with a bad

crowd. (7) That's because people learn their values from the people they associate with. (8) So a very big

reason for bad behavior is imitating one's peers. (9) But there are other important factors as well. (10) Kids

who get in trouble are often school dropouts. (11) Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely

to get in trouble than kids raised in an intact family. (12) Substance abuse also plays a role, especially when

it comes to alcohol and legal or illegal drugs.

In which sentence or sentences do you find the thesis statement in this excerpt?

A. 3

B. 2

C. 4 and 5

D. 5

13. Carmen asserts that a strong conclusion to an essay should look ahead and present a call for action.

Carl agrees, except he insists that a strong conclusion should restate the thesis verbatim. Who is correct?

A. Only Carmen is correct.

B. Both Carmen and Carl are correct.

C. Neither Carmen nor Carl is correct.

D. Only Carl is correct.

14. Your topic is courtesy, and you're writing from the point of view of a caring mentor. Which of the

following sentences is most persuasive for an audience of high school graduates from a working-class

neighborhood?

A. Courtesy is the oil that lubricates the machinery of discourse.

B. Courtesy yields profits to the impecunious as well as to the wealthy.

C. Courtesy to others shows self-respect as much as it does respect for others.

D. Remember that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

15. The usual point of view when writing a formal academic essay is

A. subjective.

B. third person.

C. second person.

D. personal.

16. As a general rule, where in your essay is it best to place your thesis statement?

A. In the second or third paragraph of the body of the essay

B. Anywhere at all, because the best thesis statement is implied, not specified

C. At the end of the essay, as part of the conclusion

D. In the first, introductory paragraph of the essay

17. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows.

After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. Why did some kids from my

neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn't? I started out with a question: What causes young

people to make bad choices? Now, after two years of research, I've arrived at the conclusion that there is

no simple answer. There is no one reason why good kids go bad, but there are typical reasons.

According to my research, teenagers are most likely to get into trouble if they hang out with a bad crowd.

That's because people learn their values from the people they associate with. So a very big reason for bad

behavior is imitating one's peers. But there are other important factors as well. Kids who get in trouble are

often school dropouts. Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely to get in trouble than kids

raised in an intact family. Substance abuse also plays a role, especially when it comes to alcohol and legal

or illegal drugs.

What method of organization is used by the writer?

A. Chronological

B. Most-to-least

C. Least-to-most

D. Spatial

18. An active reader who is assigned an essay to read will begin by

A. researching the subject of the essay.

B. skimming the entire essay.

C. reading the entire essay.

D. previewing specific parts of the essay.

19. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows. In the

passage, the sentences are numbered to help you respond to the question.

(1) Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics.

(2) These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. (3) Psychologically, however,

adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. (4) In fact, in most preliterate or

tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. (5) In such societies, the

social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. (6) Then, around the time of biological

puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. (7) By contrast, in

End of exam

American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. (8) Informally, the end of

childhood is often marked by one's thirteenth birthday. The child is now a "teenager." (9) More formally,

the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. (10) In a given state the age of

sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. (11) An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his

country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages.

In the paragraph, the thesis is best suggested

A. through an implied topic sentence.

B. in sentences 1 and 3.

C. by what the reader decides about the actual nature of adolescence.

D. in sentences 3 and 4.

20. You're reading an essay on the relationship between education and income. The most effective graphic

visual in such an essay is likely to be a

A. summary of opposing points of view.

B. sketch of an educated person.

C. comparative graph.

D. photograph.

22 questions total? What is your deadline?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is the other exam and I have till monday the 8th

Exam: 050176RR - REVISING AND EDITING

When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam. Answers will not be recorded until you

hit Submit Exam. If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel Exam.

Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question. Note that a question and its answers may be split across a page

break, so be sure that you have seen the entire question and all the answers before choosing an answer.

1. Choosing a good reviewer for your writing means finding someone who

A. knows everything about writing and will find every mistake.

B. is a close friend and will give you a positive review.

C. concentrates on correcting your spelling and grammar errors.

D. will concentrate on your ideas and how well you support them.

2. Which of the following sentences uses concrete language?

A. Danny's Labrador retriever eagerly chases tennis balls.

B. I met Cathy at a store on a street near the bridge.

C. Jerry saw that the glass was really dirty.

D. When I saw Susan, she was reading a book.

3. Spotting errors as you proofread is easier if you

A. use a clean printed copy each time.

B. read your work from the computer screen.

C. reassess your marked-up copy.

D. handwrite your essay.

4. Which of the following sentences shows correct usage of a comma or commas?

A. Claire's plum pudding was mainly distinctive, for its absence of plums.

B. After a fire at their home, Carlie and her mother rented a house in Glendale, Arizona from November 14, 2007 to January 28,

2008.

C. William of Orange, arrived in England in 1688, to claim the English throne from James II.

D. Christopher Wren, a contemporary of Isaac Newton and John Locke, was the architect of St. Paul's Cathedral.

5. What is the sequence of components in the following sentence?

Listless and depressed by vistas of snow and gray skies, Dieter left the cabin and walked toward the frozen

pond.

A. Subject, verb, modifier

B. Modifier, subject, modifier, verb

C. Subject, modifier, verb

D. Modifier, subject, verb

6. Which of the following is a compound sentence?

A. Corporate fraud is becoming more common in the United States, and the civil courts are being stretched to their limits.

B. Butterflies and hummingbirds feed on the nectar of flowering plants.

C. Because Viceroy butterflies migrate over very great distances, tracking them is a challenge to entomologists.

D. Because fraud is so common in some corporations, regulatory agencies are overworked.

7. Which sentence should be edited to eliminate its cliché?

A. Striding toward the barn in her red coverall and bucket hat, Gloria–tall and round–gave the impression of a charging silo.

B. The texture of the burlap was a cross between woven straw and a three-day beard.

C. The family was immensely relieved when Great-Aunt Martha's condition progressed from "critical" to "it looks like she'll live

another 10 years."

D. I wanted to hire Dave, but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

8. A passive verb is the better choice if you wish to

A. deemphasize the subject.

B. establish a formal tone.

C. emphasize the subject.

D. establish a casual tone.

9. Which of the following sentences uses a coordinating conjunction in a compound sentence?

A. Out in the yard, the children shouted loudly and threw silly insults at each other.

B. We fired our old housekeeper, who we thought had stolen Grandma's rings; we later regretted it.

C. My aunt, who usually behaves like a queen, was suddenly asking–no, begging–for help.

D. The budget payment is much higher than we anticipated, but the price of heating oil has skyrocketed this year.

10. Which of the following sentences contains a dependent clause?

A. The red sports car that was parked under the tree belongs to Alan.

B. Jared eagerly climbed into the boxing ring; he was on his back and out for the count in less than ten seconds.

C. Please clear the table and wash the dishes.

D. Kicking and leaping, the three deer behaved like rambunctious rabbits.

11. A judicial decision handed down in court uses the _______ level of diction.

A. colloquial

B. popular

C. informal

D. formal

12. To compose strong, compelling sentences, avoid using

A. forms of the verb to be.

B. clauses as modifiers.

C. short, simple sentences.

D. dependent clauses.

13. Which of the following sentences contains one or more strong, active verbs?

A. The phone directory was hastily searched by Conrad.

B. Having been away in London for two years, Conrad was happy to see Denise.

C. It was believed by some that Conrad's father had been a war hero.

D. Conrad trembled with anxiety and anticipation as he pressed Denise's doorbell.

14. Which statement about sentence lengths in a written piece is true?

A. Short sentences tend to move ideas quickly.

B. Varying sentence type has no appreciable effect on relative sentence length.

C. In spite of their name, compound-complex sentences are usually shorter than compound or complex sentences.

D. Regardless of the sentence type, the audience tends to read at its own pace.

15. Which of the following is a good rule to follow when proofreading an essay?

A. Scan the essay twice, once for organization and once for surface errors.

B. Ask your best friend to critique your essay.

C. Use the computer's spell-check and grammar-check functions to be sure you catch any errors.

D. Read the essay aloud to hear where words are missing or awkward phrasings or grammatical errors occur.

16. A student who regularly tracks mistakes in spelling, verb forms, and parallelism is probably

A. focusing on learning style.

B. using a flowchart.

C. keeping an error log.

D. analyzing the essays' organization.

17. Which of the following sentences is without any surface errors?

A. It's up to Georgia and I who drives the car, whether Celine likes it or not.

B. The town is located near just a few miles from lake Ontario.

C. I reluctantly gave the hamster to my cousin because I was afraid Teddy, my cat, would attack it.

D. Mr. Campbell gave copies of his novel to Ruth and me.

18. Which of the following sentences contains an error in subject-verb agreement?

A. Either Dennis or Susan is going to pick you up.

B. Each of the 14 groups are going to contribute an item to the auction.

C. Which one of these shirts is your favorite?

D. Kristy, Molly, and Kate attend the same university and ride the bus together.

19. Which of the following is an evaluation tool using questions and answers that lead to effective

strategies?

A. Outline

B. Graphic organizer

C. Thesis

D. Flowchart

End of exam

20. In which sentence does the italicized word have a negative connotation?

A. Jack, who is the most outspoken member of the group, led the opposition to the new rule.

B. Jenna's green eyes and dark eyelashes gave her an exotic look.

C. Although she had worked hard in high school, Ruth found the college courses challenging.

D. Matthew was a scrawnykid, but he grew up strong.

I can provide you with the answers this evening. If you are satisfied with your score would you be willing to leave a bonus as your offer is a little low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sure say 20 more

That would be great. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sure thing,but if i fail or if yuor answers are the same as mine what happens then?

If my answers fail, do not pay me at all. If my answers are the same as yours, then maybe they are correct!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Please check back in about 1 hour
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer, Accountant and Researcher

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"
Thank you for the positive rating. It has been my pleasure to work with you.

I want to be your "go to" person. I value your business and will do my utmost to assist you with your future needs. If I cannot answer your question, I can direct you to someone else who can.

To directly route a future question to me you can use this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-fivestarlaw/

Please put "For FiveStarLaw" at the beginning of the question.

I look forward to working with you again in the future

Best regards,
FiveStarLaw