Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.

I have heard that pretty much what the Whig Party was all about

I have heard that pretty much what the Whig Party was all about is being anti-Jackson. (That is, they were against everything that XXXXX XXXXX stood for) My question is this: What did XXXXX XXXXX do that was so bad that there were so many people that were against him? Thank you.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 1 year ago.

Ray Atkinson :

Is there a length requirement? What is the due date?

Customer:

No length requirement nor due date. Thank you.

Ray Atkinson :

Okay. I will get to researching.

Ray Atkinson :

Jackson's strengthening of the powers of the president scared a lot of people.
Up to that point, Cabinet members stayed from one administration to the next. Jackson set the precedent that is still used today that the new president cleans house and gets all new cabinet members. He fired the entire cabinet and replaced it with his own people. Jackson also was the first president to use a modern presidential veto. Presidents before him only used it to claim a bill unconstitutional.
The Whigs had existed before, but Jackson put steel in their backbone. Jackson also spurred the creation of the National Republicans who felt that the country was a nation rather than a collection of states, which led to the modern Democratic Party.
All these changes just 100 years after the Revolutionary War still made people think that he was making himself a king and taking over the country with his own advisors and being more powerful than congress.

Customer:

But when a president fires his cabinet and wants to replace them, doesn't the president needs Senate confirmation and approval for each and every replacement?

Customer:

Additionally, the modern presidential veto that you say President Jackson used, was that the veto where President Jackson vetoed the 2nd bank of The United States charter in 1832?

Customer:

I presume that less than 2/3 of Congress disagreed with President Jackson's veto seeing that President Jackson's veto was not overriden?

Customer:

Finally, one more thing, when you say that President Jackson spurred the creation of the National Republicans which led to the modern Democratic Party, you mean that President Jackson's actions "indirectly" compelled these parties to form, right? You don't mean that President Jackson did anything directly to cause these parties to form, do you?

Ray Atkinson :

1. True, but no one questions the president's right to clean out the cabinet.
2. Yes, that appears to be the first veto not for constitutional reasons. He did others first, but mostly using the establishment clause.
3. Jackson's speech was very convincing that the bank was doing more harm than good. Proponents tried to get the override vote, but could not.
4. It was a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." Scared people will join with other scared people when properly motivated. People were quite scared of Jackson becoming a king with his overwhelming support from the common man.

Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience: Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.