TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems
59032869

Hello Doc, you helped me out over a month ago with some database

Hello Doc, you helped me out over a month ago with some database work and I was wondering if you would be able to help me out with some ASP.NET Web Application with Oracle this time around. I am using a web-interface called iSQL Plus that works with Nova. If I were to show you the assignment would you be able to help me out?
Category: Homework
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! Thank you for requesting me.

Yes, I can help you with this. Just so you know, the interface that you are using for Oracle does not matter. The interface is simply an interface. The SQL used in any interface is exactly the same. So using SQL*Plus or Oracle SQL Developer results in exactly the same SQL. All I will give you is the SQL and you will run it in whatever interface that you use.

Please zip up your project requirements and upload them to http://ge.tt

Once uploaded, you will be given a link on the right. Click on the 'Copy Link' option and then paste it here.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to put in my last post that that the Oracle database needs to be able to be accessed and updated via a complete ASP.NET application, using either VB.NET or C#. I see where you specialize in C# XXXXX that may be better for you.

-I put a file entitled Project 1 that this project builds off of for you. You probably wont need it though.

-The access file just contains the 4 tables and their columns

-There is a file that contains examples from the teacher if you want to reference

-Please let me know if you need any additional information.

http://ge.tt/8yL7LKk?c

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Ian!

By when do you need this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sunday 11:59p

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will contact you once this is complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Doc, just checking in and seeing how your progress was coming along. Were you able to open the Access file? For some reason I have difficulty opening it on my home pc. Let me know if you need anything additional from me. I think I may have an ERD if you need it

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Ian.

Yes, I was able to open the Access file. Additionally, I am currently working on the pages. It is a pretty significant project in terms of time and effort. I'll will get it done and let you know once it is finished.

Thank you
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Doc

Simply Outstanding work! I tried rating you but it said permission denied. That has happened to me in the past. I will try again later.

-I am pretty dense, but what file do I initially open up in VS 2010. I tried both opening RealEstate in the zip folder and extracted but I received an error message

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

I know it works and that its user error.

"You cannot just run it. Open it up in VWD. When the project is open, you will see a number of files in the solution explorer. I need you to expand (little arrow to the left of the file names), these files:"

I figure I am opening the incorrect file or do I need to set up everything on NOVA first?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

To open the project you must:

1.) Unzip the folder that I sent you.
2.) Open Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
3.) Select "Open Project" in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
4.) Navigate to the unzipped folder
5.) Double Click on the .sln file (That is a solution file)

That will open the project in VWD 2010
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its probably not working because I have Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express. I will look for the more general Visual Studio to download

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Microsoft Visual C# 2010 is not the correct tool for making ASP.NET web applications.

You need to download Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express 2010

That is the tool used to create ASP.NET pages (Be they C# or VB.NET). You do not use Visual C# or Visual Basic.Net. You use Visual Web Developer.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
In case you have difficulty finding it:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express

It is under "Visual Web Developer 2010 Express"

Strangely, they changed the name in the 2012 version to "VS for Web". But you probably don't want to use the 2012 version. If you have an instructor who is using 2010, they will not able to open a project saved in 2012.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Doc,

I am having problems with accessing the links from the student home page. I know its my fault. I spent the last 3 hours trying to get all the files on the server through FileZilla and finally got them all on but when I click on view or any of the other tabs I get an error message. Do you have anytime for a Remote today?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Did you update the oracle connection string in all the files, like I indicated. And did you actually implement the database?

Can you send me a screen shot of one of these errors?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I changed username, password and source to nova

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="Off"/> </system.web> </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/> </system.web> </configuration>
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
That's extremely unhelpful. It is basically saying that it will not show the the actual error. Odds are that you did not upload the files correctly. The project I sent you has no issues going from one page to another.

When it comes to getting assistance with publishing to your school's server, I'm not really the appropriate person to ask for assistance from. I don't know how your server is set up, how your account is set up, where you are supposed to upload to, previous instructions you have been provided in course documents, etc. For issues related to running a working project on your school's server, you should request help from your instructor.

I can, however, give you advice as to uploading the files. I'm not sure why it took you three hours.

In VWD, open the project. In the solution explorer, right-click on the project name.

Select "Publish..."

You will probably want to select "File System" as the publish method.

You then select to where you wish to save the publish. If I were you, I would create a new folder on my desktop. Then, select tat folder in the publish dialog.

Then click on the publish button.

You will now have files and folder in your published folder. You want to upload ALL of this to your site (including the bin folder and contents).

You do not want to just attempt to upload the project files to your site. You should first publish the project site, then upload the published site. If you were uploading the CS files and other project files, that isn't likely to work.