Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

English Comp. total of 20 questions. revise and editing.I

Customer Question

English Comp. total of 20 questions. revise and editing. I am still writing out the rest of the questions for this, but here is the first ten questions. 1. Spotting errors as you proofread is easier if you A. Handwrite your essay B. Reassess your mark-up copy C. Read your work from the computer screen D. Use a clean printed copy each time 2. Which of the following correctly uses a transitional word of phrase A. Kara has been happily trying lots of new activities lately. For example, she took up needlepoint on the advice of her counselor. B. The floodwaters receded. The bridge could be inspected. C. First impressions are so important in both personal and professional life. Addison shaved off his beard. D. Sadly, Mark broke his leg during the performance. The director regretted casting him in the part. 3. Choosing a good reviewer for your writing means finding someone who A. Know everything about writing and will find every mistake B. Concentrates on concentrates on correcting your spelling and grammar errors C. Is a close friend and will give you a positive review D. Will concentrate on your idea and how well you support the 4. Which of the following sentences is without any surface errors? A. Mr. Campbell gave copies of his novel to Ruth and me. B. It’s up to Georgia and I who drive the car, whether Celine likes it or not. C. I reluctantly gave the hamster to my cousin because I was afraid Teddy, my cat, would attack it. D. The town is located near just a few miles from lake Ontario. 5. Which of the following sentences shows correct usage of a comma or commas? A. After a fire at their home, Carlie and her mother rented a house in Glendale, Arizona form November 14, 2007 to January 28, 2008. B. William of Orange, arrived in England in 1688, to claim the English throne form James . C. Christopher Wren, a contemporary of Isaac Newton and John Locke, was the St. Paul’s Cathedral. D. Claire’s plum pudding was distinctive, for its absence of plums. 6. Which of the following sentences uses a coordinating conjunction in a compound sentence? A. We fired our old housekeeper, who we thought had stolen Grandma’s rings; we later regretted it. B. The budget payment is much higher than we anticipated, but the price of heating oil has skyrocketed this year. C. My aunt, who usually behaves like a queen, was suddenly asking-no, begging-for help. D. Out in the yard, the children shouted loudly and threw silly insults at each other. 7. Which of the following is a compound sentence? A. Corporate fraud is becoming more common in the United States, and civil courts are being stretched to their limits. B. Because fraud is so common in some corporations, regulatory agencies are overworked. C. Because Viceroy butterflies migrate over very great distances, tracking them is a challenge to entomologists. D. Butterflies and hummingbirds feed on the nectar of flowering plants.

8. As you're revising an essay, you write down several sentences to describe your intended readers. why should you do this?

A. To see if your essay is directed toward its intended audience.

B. to ensure that your essay will entertain the audience.

C. to ensure that you're instructing your audience adequately

D. to make sure you're writing what you know, not what you believe

9. While reviewing an essay, what should be your main purpose in applying question of who, what, when. where, and why?

A. to clarify your topic sentence

B. To compare your thesis statement with your conclusion

C. To organize your evidence

D. To be sure your evidence provides sufficient detail

10. which sentence should be edited to eliminate its cliché?

A. I want to hire Dave, but chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

B. The family was immensely relieved when Great-Aunt Martha's condition progresses form "critical" to "it looks like she'll live another 10 years."

C. Striding toward the barn in her red coverall and bucket hat, Gloria-tall and round-gave the impression of a charging silo.

D. The texture of the burlap was a cross between woven straw and a three-day beard.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sammy,

Here are the answers to #1-10 for comparison with your own.

1. D. Use a clean printed copy each time
2. A. Kara has been happily trying lots of new activities lately. For example, she took up needlepoint on the advice of her counselor.
3. D. Will concentrate on your idea and how well you support the main idea.
4. A. Mr. Campbell gave copies of his novel to Ruth and me.
5. C. Christopher Wren, a contemporary of Isaac Newton and John Locke, was the
architect of St. Paul’s Cathedral.
6. B. The budget payment is much higher than we anticipated, but the price of heating oil has skyrocketed this year.
7. A. Corporate fraud is becoming more common in the United States, and civil courts are being stretched to their limits.
8. A. To see if your essay is directed toward its intended audience.
9. D. To be sure your evidence provides sufficient detail
10. A. I want to hire Dave, but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX 11-20.

11. To compose strong, compelling sentences, avoid using

A.short, simple sentences.

B. forms of the verb to be.

C. dependent clauses.

D. clauses as modifies.

12. which of the following sentences uses concrete language?

a. jerry saw that glass was really dirty.

b. danny's Labrador retriever eagerly chase tennis balls.

c. when i saw susan, she was reading a book.

d. i met cathy at a store on a street near the bridge.

13.whitch of the following is a simple sentence?

a. i went to the airport, but i was too late to meet them.

b. i got to the airport late because the traffic was so terrible.

c. when i realized i was too late, i called david's cell phone and made arraignments to meet them in town.

d. Karen and david arrived at the airport at 3:35 p.m. and took a taxi to the hotel.

14. which of the following sentences contains a dependent clause?

a. jared eagerly climbed into the boxing ring; he was on his back and out for the count in less than ten seconds.

b. the red sports car that was parked under the tree belongs to alan.

c. kicking and leaping, the three deer behaved like rambunctious rabbits.

d. please clear the table and wash the dishes.

15.which of the following sentences uses parallelism effectively?

A. the red sox fans screamed, yelled and were applauding wildly.

b. the large plant-eating dinosaurs were quite slow, rather stupid, and extremely hungry.

c.laura spent all her time gardening and arranging flowers, when she wasn't in a she store to shop.

d. the reporter was good because it was factual and offered many details.

16.which statement about sentence length in a written piece is true?

A short sentences tend o move ideas quickly

b. in spite of their name, compound-complex sentences are usually shorter than compound or complex sentences.

c.varying sentence types has no appreciable effect on relative lengths.

d.regardless of the sentence type, the audience tends to read at its own pace.

17. which of the following sentences contain one or more strong, active verbs?

a. it was believed by some that Conrad's father had been a war hero.

b. the phone directory was hastily searched by Conrad.

C. Conrad trembled with anxiety and anticipation as he pressed denise's doorbell

d. having been away in London for two years, Conrad was happy to see denise.

18. which of the following is a evaluation tool using questions and answers that lead to effective strategies?

A graphic organizer

b. outline

c. flowchart

d. thesis

19.nathan argues that each paragraph in a narrative should support the author's thesis. nan says that paragraphs in a narrative should illuminate some part of the action. which one is correct?
a.neither

b.nathen

c.both

d. nan

20. A passive verb is the better choice if you wish to

a. establish a casual tone

b. emphasize the subject

c. deemphasize the subject

d. establish a formal tone

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)