Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

I need some one to check my answers for Penn foster

Customer Question

I need some one to check my answers for Penn foster exams "the reading and writing process" and "revising and editing" for English comprehension. 050175RR and 050176RR. If you can help me, please let me know.  Thanks

1. The principles for      supplying evidence in support of a thesis could be represented by an      acronym: RSVSRA. According to the information in your text, the two “Rs”      could stand for  A. revealing and relevant. B. respectful and revealing.  C. representative and revealing.  D. relevant and      representative.

2. Lillian is looking for ideas to write about, and she decides to make a list of everything she can think of that      relates to the topic of teenage romance. Which concept best describes      Lillian’s strategy?  A. brainstorming  B. mapping  C. Free association  D. outlining

3. After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. Why did some kids from my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn’t? I started out with a question: What causes young people to make bad choices? Now, after two      year of research, I’ve arrived at the conclusion that there is no simple answer. There is no one reason why good kids go bed, but there are typical reasons. That’s because people learn their values from the people they associate with. So a very big reason for bad behavior is imitating one’s peers. But there are other important factors as well. Kids who get in trouble are often school dropouts. Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely to get in trouble than kids raised in an intact family. Substance abuse also plays a role, especially when it comes to      alcohol and legal or illegal drugs.

What method of organization is used by the writer?

1. Chronological

2. Least-to-most

3. Spatial

4. Most-to-least

4. Which of the following titles is mad more effective by alliteration?

1. Guns: our lethal heritage

2. What’s in the name?

3. Ruby, the rose of Roslyn

4. Now you see it; now you      don’t

5. Which of the following statements best identifies a learning style that’s creative, verbal, and independent?

1. Cameron loves to diagram the different aspects of meaning of an idea.

2. Karen loves sorting out facts, especially when she can help her classmates visualize them in novel and interesting ways.

3. Loren writes poetry because she enjoys experimenting with words to evoke emotions.

4. Bart enjoys sitting in public places with his brother analyzing people, especially when he is trying to come up with a plot for a short story.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for the question.

Answers are as follows:

1. D. relevant and representative.
2. A. brainstorming
3. D. Most-to-least
4. C. Ruby, the rose of Roslyn
5. C. Loren writes poetry because she enjoys experimenting with words to evoke emotions.

Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the rest of exam 050175RR, please let me know when you are ready for 050176RR, also.

6. Leila says that a thesis statement is like a promise to a reader. Lucas says a thesis statement expresses the writer’s point of view. Who is correct?

1. Both Leila and Lucas are correct.
  2. Neither Leila nor Lucas is correct.
  3. Only Lucas is correct.
  4. Only Leila is correct.

7. Having been raised on a dairy farm in rural Minnesota, Lorie Ann Kline was having trouble adjusting to life in the city and to central high school. In a conference with her parent, the school guidance counselor explained that Lorie Ann avoided talking to her fellow student and sat by herself in the lunchroom. Perhaps most disturbing, her grades were not what one expect given her high scholastic aptitude scorers. Kline agreed that Lorie Ann was often shy around strangers. A solemn Mr. Kline explained that his daughter had been severely bullied by two older children who had lived at the farm for a short time. The guidance counselor nodded in understanding.

1. To inform people about the work of guidance counselors.
  2. To point out the harm done by bullies
  3. To tell the life story of Lorie Ann Kline
  4. To argue for urban over rural life

8. Your topic is courtesy, and you’re writing from the point of view of a caring mentor. Which of the following sentences is most persuasive for an audience of high school graduates from a working-class neighborhood?

1. Courtesy is the oil that lubricates the machinery of discourse.
  2. Courtesy to others show self-respect as much as it does respect for others.
  3. Remember that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
  4. Courtesy yields profits to the impecunious as well as to the wealthy.

9. Please read the following excerpt form an essay, and answer the question that follows. In the passage, the sentences are numbered to help you respond to the question.

(1) Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics. (2) These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. (3) Psychologically, however, adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. (4) In fact, in most preliterate or tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. (5) In such societies, the social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. (6) Then, around the time of biological puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. (7) By contrast, in American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. (8) Informally, the end of childhood is often marked by one’s thirteenth birthday. The child is now a “teenager.” (9) More formally, the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. (10) In a given state the age of sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. (11) An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages. In which sentence of the paragraph do you find a transitional word or phrase that shows a time connection?

1. 3
  2. 6
  3. 4
  4. 7

10. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows. Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics. These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. Psychologically, however, adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. In fact, in most preliterate or tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. In such societies, the social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. Then, around the time of biological puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. By contrast, in American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. Informally, the end of childhood is often marked by one’s thirteenth birthday. The child is now a “teenager.” More formally, the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. In a given state the age of sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages. If the topic of this paragraph is adolescence, which of the following statements best captures or reiterates the thesis?

1. Adolescence is defined differently in different societies.
  2. Western society has no single concept of adolescence.
  3. Adolescence is an irrational concept.
  4. Adolescence is an aspect of modern society.

11.To narrow a general topic you’ve selected, which pair of techniques is most likely to be effective?

1. Freewriting and questioning
  2. Questioning and choosing an issue that interests you
  3. Branching diagram and questioning
  4. Using a branching diagram and consulting your journal

12.Karen asserts that a thesis statement is best developed as part of the prewriting process. Kyle claims that a thesis statement should be completely developed before the writer is sure of the topic. Who is correct?

1. Both Karen and Kyle are correct
  2. Neither Karen nor Kyle is correct.
  3. Only Karen is correct.
  4. Only Kyle is correct.

13.Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follow. I’ve never actually met a real live humorist. Well, not in person at any rate. However, one summer, having a lot of time on my hands. I discovered unexpected treasure lurking in the local public library. Among the nuggets I unearthed in those musty stacks was a book by humorist Robert Benchley. To this day I remember one of his quips. He wrote, “There are two kinds of people in this world; those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don’t.” After laughing out loud, I became pensive. I wondered why the quip was so funny. A year or so later, I formed a theory. Humor is based on the unexpected.(br)In the passage above, the topic sentence and thesis are one and the same. What make the sentence effective as a thesis statement?

1. Humor
  2. Specific detail
  3. Assertion
  4. Simplicity

14.What is the pattern of development in this passage? Having been raised on a dairy farm in rural Minnesota, Lorie Ann Kline was having trouble adjusting to life in the city and to central high school. In a conference with her parent, the school guidance counselor explained that Lorie Ann avoided talking to her fellow student and sat by herself in the lunchroom. Perhaps most disturbing, her grades were not what one expect given her high scholastic aptitude scorers. Kline agreed that Lorie Ann was often shy around strangers. A solemn Mr. Kline explained that his daughter had been severely bullied by two older children who had lived at the farm for a short time. The guidance counselor nodded in understanding.

1. Comparison and contrast
  2. Narration
  3. Process
  4. Description

15.Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows. In the passage, the sentences are numbered to help you respond to the question. (1) Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics. (2) These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. (3) Psychologically, however, adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. (4) In fact, in most preliterate or tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. (5) In such societies, the social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. (6) Then, around the time of biological puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. (7) By contrast, in American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. (8) Informally, the end of childhood is often marked by one’s thirteenth birthday. The child is now a “teenager.” (9) More formally, the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. (10) In a given state the age of sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. (11) An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages. In the paragraph, the thesis is best suggested

1. In sentences 3 and 4.
  2. By what the reader decides about the actual nature of adolescence.
  3. Through an implied topic sentence.
  4. In sentence 1 and 3.

16.An active reader who is assigned an essay to read will begin by

1. Reading the entire essay.
  2. Skimming the entire essay.
  3. Previewing specific parts of the essay.
  4. Researching the subject of the essay.

17.The usual point of view when writing a formal academic essay is

1. Personal.
  2. Third person.
  3. Second person
  4. Subjective

18.As a general rule, where in your essay is it best to place your thesis statement?

1. In the second or third paragraph of the body of the essay
  2. At the end of the essay, as part of the conclusion
  3. In the first, introductory paragraph of the essay
  4. Anywhere at all, because the best thesis statement is implied, not specified

19.Which of the following is a common error in composing a thesis statement?

1. You offer an original perspective on a familiar theme
  2. Your thesis statement contains two or more central points
  3. You focus your thesis statement after you begin writing.
  4. Your thesis statement is specific as opposed to general

20.In searching out the key elements as you read an essay, you’re most likely to discover the author’s support for his or her claims or ideas in the

1. Conclusion
  2. Title
  3. introductory paragraph
  4. Body of the essay

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)