Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

1. Which view of religious language holds that the terms we

1. Which view of religious language holds that the terms we use to describe God mean exactly the same thing as they do when we use them to describe other beings or things? (Points : 2)
equivocal
univocal
analogical
None of the above

2. The ________________________ argues for the existence of God from the nature of God's being. (Points : 2)
ontological argument
cosmological argument
design argument
moral argument

3. The __________________ argues that since an infinite chain of causation is impossible, God must be an uncaused cause. (Points : 2)
ontological argument
cosmological argument
design argument
atheist society

4. William Paley's example of finding a watch in the heath is part of a(n) ____________________. (Points : 2)

ontological argument.

cosmological argument.
design argument.
pantheistic worldview.

5. The problem of _______________ is the problem of reconciling the apparent existence of evil with the existence of an all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-good God. (Points : 2)
evil
theism
evangelism
None of the above.

6. Attempted philosophical resolutions to the problem of evil include ___________________. (Points : 2)

the claim that evil is only the absence of the good.

the claim that evil is caused by humans with free will.
the claim that a world without evil or the possibility of evil would be ill-suited to the purpose of moral and spiritual development.
All of the above.

7. Plantinga argues that (Points : 2)
it can be rational to believe in God even if one is not aware of positive evidence for the existence of God.
the believer does not have the burden of first proving God exists before it is rational for them to believe in God.

belief in God could be shown to be irrational if sufficient reasons were given.

All of the above.

8. The inductive problem of evil stems from the consideration that (Points : 2)
it is unlikely that the sort of God that most theists claim to exist would be real given the magnitude and types of evil in the world.

evil shows with certainty that God does not exist.

evil can only be an illusion since God is good.

All of the above.

9. _______________ views hold that certain things in life are valuable in their own right, while _______________ views hold that things are valuable only for other benefits that can produce. (Points : 2)
Hendonic; extrinsic
Intrinsic; extrinsic
Absolute; intrinsic
Secular; religious

10. Match each of the following statements to the position with which it most closely corresponds.
(Points : 8)
Potential Matches:
1 :
ethical egoism
2 : ethical altruism
3 : psychological altruism
4 : psychological egoism
Answer
:
People should act out of concern for the interests of others.

: People do act out of concern only for their own interests.

: People should act only out of concern for their personal interests.

: People do act out of concern for the interests of others.

11. According to Joseph Piper, which of the following statements about leisure is true? (Points : 2)
The primary value of leisure is that it gives us rest so we can be more productive at work.
The key enemy of leisure is frequent, disciplined contemplation.
Leisure is a form of stillness wherein one is more receptive to receiving truth.

All of the above.

12. In the classic understanding, the liberal arts are (Points : 2)
distinct from the servile arts.
an intrinsically valuable activity.
aimed at learning without any practical aggenda directing the course of one's studies.
All of the above.

13. Which of the following would deny that there is an objective, factual truth about what is good for society and that any view of the good life is dependent on what people believe or feel? (Points : 2)
Stoicism
Objectivism
Subjectivists
All of the above.

14.
1. George is a politician. He has managed to spend most of his life in elected office. In order to keep winning elections, he maintains a carefully crafted image as a loving family man, with a strong traditional faith, who is full of compassion for the oppressed. In reality, this image does not fit George more than it does most people. Which philosopher would be most likely to commend the sort of life George as achieved?
(Points : 2)
Aristotle
Marcus Aurelius
Machiavelli
Franklin
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)