Carla
Carla, Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in Data Processing Technology. Over 12+ years experience in IT, Databases and Systems Administration.
19007361

DATABASE APPLICATION PROJECT GENERAL GUIDELINES PURPOSE

DATABASE APPLICATION PROJECT
GENERAL GUIDELINES
PURPOSE
There are three main purposes of the database application project:
1. To analyze, design and implement a simple database project that applies to a specific business or personal data management need.
2. To become familiar with the features and use of an actual database management systems product.
3. To evaluate the product in terms of how successfully it is able to satisfy the major objectives of the database approach. These include: independence, integrity, security, recovery, concurrency, limiting redundancy, performance, ease of use, and power of expression of its DDL/DML.
PROCEDURE
Follow the steps given below:
1. Identify a reasonably simple but meaningful business or personal data management problem.
2. Analyze and design a database using E-R Diagrams, database normalization, and other techniques presented in the course that will help solve your problem.
3. Learn the basics of Microsoft Access and use Access to implement your database solution.
4. Implement your Project using Microsoft Access 2000 or later version. (Note: If you do not have availability to Microsoft Access, you may use any recognized DBMS system, such as MySQL, Oracle, or DB2. If you have any questions, please contact the instructor.
OUTCOMES
Each student will be responsible for handing in the following:
• A report describing the database management problem you have set out to solve, the approach you took to solve it, and your evaluation of Microsoft Access's capabilities.
• Your E-R Model, sample output or listing showing inputs, and the results of your use of the project you developed. Note that most reports run from 10-15 pages in length.
Your database project should include the following:
a. A narrative of your database project, including its purpose and objectives, and how a database might well solve your information needs;
b. The ERD (either Chen Model or Crow’s Foot Model) conceptual design for that database;
c. A Descriptions of the tables (entities) and columns (attributes);
d. Listing of the data;
e. Sample of queries and resulting reports;
f. Summary of what you learned and your reaction to the experience of creating you database application.
Note: The possible applications are limitless, but it does NOT have to be very complex. If you can tie it in with something that is related to your job, so much the better. If not, find something that is of interest to you
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Josie, I am still in need of assistance with the above project. The suspense date for it is the 26 of June. Thanks.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.

R/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I'll be awaiting your response. Thanks.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
Hello

What is your deadline for this project?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

24 June is the deadline.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. I will see if I can get it done over the weekend. If not, I will post the answer next week.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Much Carla. Much Appreciated.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. You will be notified when I post my answer.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay Carla. I'll be checking periodically. Thanks.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Carla. Just wanted to touch bases with you and see how
things were going with the assignmet. Thanks.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
I am nearly done and will post the answer later on.

I worked the whole day on this project yesterday so I would appreciate if you could add some bonus once you have rated my answer. :)

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool Carla. I really appreciate the assist; and I'll most definitely provide a bonus to you once I review your post. I'll be able to provide that bonus to you on Thursday of this week. I'd like to get yoru western union info (payout city/state) so I can send it via those means. If you rather I do it through the site, please let me know how to go about doing so. My cell is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Standing By. Thanks Again.
Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
You can add the bonus after you have rated my answer as "Good Service" or "Excellent Service". You should then see an option on your screen to add the bonus there.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
I have just finished your database project.

Please let me know when you are online (within the next 30 minutes) so that I can post the answer to you.

Thank you
Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Carla, Engineer
Experience: Bachelor's degree in Data Processing Technology. Over 12+ years experience in IT, Databases and Systems Administration.
Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your rate. If you could add a bonus for the extra time I put into this project, it would be highly appreciated.

Thank you again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Carla, I've added your tip. I have an additional assignment which was discovered upon my logging in to my school this am; and I was wondering if you would be able to assist me with this one last request. I can pay separately for your services. Just let me know how and what to do. I prefer to continue working with you. The due date is Saturday 29June before 3:00 pm. Thanks.

Assignment:

Assignment: Parts 2 & 3

PART 2: Database Normalization & Logical Design (20 Points)

Background

A company wants to maintain data on field operations of its sales force. Specifically, it wants to know which of its salesreps are calling on which customers, when and where the visits take place, and a summary of what happened during the call.

Instructions:
This question has three cases, A, B and C. In each case, assume the relation, T, shown below is in first normal form. Then, do the following:
1) Derive a workable logical design that supports the company's requirements.
2) Map (translate) your design into a relational database model. Make sure that all tables are in third normal form and that you indicate the primary key by underscoring the column name(s) and all foreign keys (if any exist) by bold font for each table in your design.

Note: T = { Custo, Custname, Salesrepno, Salesrepname, Calldate, Callcity, Callsummary}

Where Custno = Customer Number;
Custname = Customer Name;
Sales Representative Number;
Salesrepname + Sales Representative Name;
Calldate + Date on which a sales representative calls on (has a meeting with) a customer;
Callcity = City where a call takes place;
Callsummary = Summary of what took place at the call (customer place order, customer requests more information, customer says “no thanks’, etc.)

Note that partial credit will be given for designs that may have errors, but are substantially correct.

Case A: Assume the following:

1. No more than one call by a given salesrep to a given customer will occur on the same day.
2. The “Callcity" is always at the customer's headquarters location, which does not change.
3. A salesrep may make several calls to different customers on the same day.
4. Only one salesrep will call on a customer at one time.

5. A customer may be called upon by different salesreps.

Case B:

Remove Assumption No. 2 from Case A, and redo your logical design. That is, the "Callcity" may be any city that is agreeable to both the customer and salesrep. Other assumptions from Case A apply.

Case C:

Change Assumption No. 5 from Case A so that only one specific salesrep will call on a given customer. That is, the company assigns a specific salesreps to each customer. Other assumptions from Case A apply.

Essays
Review the three essay topics given below. Select ANY TWO and write an essay on it. Good organization and clarity of expression are better that length.

Topic I: Database Life Cycle

The text discusses the database life cycle (DBLC). In the discussion, it outlines six phases. Briefly describe the DBLC and each of the six phases. What is the difference between "top-down" and "bottom up" design strategies?
Topic II: Data Warehouse

Assume that you are working for a low profit margin retailer, such as a grocery store chain, and you have just attended a conference in which the principles of data warehousing have been presented. You see a lot of potential benefit of having a data warehousing, but also some risks as well. Upon your return to the company, your boss asks you to make a short presentation on data warehousing at the next staff meeting.

Write of brief summary of the basic ideas behind a data warehouse. What is it supposed to do? How does it differ from a traditional transaction processing database management system? What types of analyses are possible with a data warehouse that would be difficult or impossible to achieve with a standard operational database? What risks do you see?

Database Administrator

Imagine that you are the Chief Information Officer of a small but fast growing company that currently has about 500 employees. Your IT area has developed in a rather haphazard manner over the past three years and you realize that as it grows in size and importance, the company is in danger of losing control over the IT function. The company has never had a database administrator
(DBA), but you now see that such a position needs to be created.

Based on this background, write the job description for the DBA position that you wish to fill. Include educational and experience background, personal characteristics, specific skills and knowledge, and anything else that a successful candidate should have. Include a suggested salary range.