Linda_us
Linda_us, Finance, Accounts & Homework Tutor
Experience:  Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)

Which of the following is an instance of persuasive

1. Which of the following is an instance of persuasive speaking? 
A. a veteran commemorating the heroism of soldiers 
who fought in Vietnam. 
B. a judge explaining the rules of evidence to a jury in a 
criminal trial. 
C. a botany professor giving a lecture on the process of 
photosynthesis. 
D. a developer urging the city council to support plans 
for a new mall
E. a scientist reporting research results at a 
professional meeting 

2. "To persuade my audience to take a class that will teach them CPR" is a specific purpose statement for a persuasive speech on a question of 
A. fact. B. attitude. C. value. D. policy. E. opinion.

3. Persuasive speeches on questions of ________ argue for or against particular courses of action.
A. need B. value C. policy D. fact

4. In a persuasive speech, a speaker must be concerned with the audience's 
A. attitudes toward the topic. 
B. beliefs about the topic. 
C. knowledge of the topic. 
D. all of the above.

5. When you give a persuasive speech on a question of _____________, you can seek either passive agreement or immediate action from your audience. 
A. opinion B. policy C. value D. fact

6. "To persuade my audience that Jimmy Carter deserves to be rated as a good President" is a specific purpose statement for a persuasive speech on a question of 
A. fact. B. attitude. C. value. D. policy.

7. According to your textbook, persuasion is a psychological process in which listeners engage in a ______________ with the speaker.
A. mental dialogue
B. situational disagreement
C. cognitive restructuring
D. feedback loop
E. logical debate

8. The three types of questions that give rise to persuasive speeches are
A. questions of opinion, fact, and policy.
B. questions of problem, cause, and solution.
C. questions of fact, value, and policy.
D. questions of opinion, attitude, and value.
E. questions of problem, plan, and practicality.

9. "To persuade my audience that the use of mercury in dental fillings poses a hazard to human health" is a specific purpose statement for a persuasive speech on a question of 
A. fact. B. value. C. policy.

10. "To persuade my audience that it is unethical for journalists to invade people's private lives" is a specific purpose statement for a persuasive speech on a question of 
A. fact. B. value. C. policy.

11. Whenever you give a persuasive speech on a question of value, you need to
A. concentrate on convincing listeners who already 
share your view.
B. organize the speech according to Monroe's 
motivated sequence.
C. conclude your speech by urging the audience to 
take immediate action.
D. deal with all three basic issues of need, plan, and 
practicality.
E. justify your value judgment against a set of 
standards or criteria.

12. At which of the following would you be most likely to hear a persuasive speech on a question of fact?
A. a church service B. a jury trial
C. an awards ceremony D. a political convention

13. "To persuade my audience that the United States Park Service should reduce the number of camp sites in national parks by 50 percent" is a specific purpose statement for a persuasive speech on a question of

14. "To persuade my audience that there should be tougher enforcement of laws to protect the victims of domestic abuse" is a specific purpose statement for a persuasive speech on a question of
A. value. B. attitude. C. policy. D. opinion.

15. The ______________ is that portion of the whole audience that the speaker most wants to persuade.
A. core audience B. target audience 
C. projected audience D. intended audience 

16. Which of the following statements is most clearly directed at the practicality issue in a persuasive speech on a question of policy?
A. My solution has three major steps.
B. We can no longer ignore the seriousness of the 
problem.
C. There are three ways to judge the morality of capital 
punishment.
D. If my plan is adopted, it will be less expensive than 
the current system.
17. If you give a persuasive speech advocating a change in policy, your main points often will fall naturally into ______________ order.
A. problem-solution
B. chronological
C. causal
D. comparative advantages
E. topical

18. Juanita gave her persuasive speech on the problem of teenage alcoholism. In her first main point, she showed how serious the problem is. In her second main point, she explained why the problem had reached its current proportions. In her third main point, she presented some ways of coping with the problem. What organizational pattern did Juanita use in her speech?
A. need-plan-practicality
B. comparative advantages
C. Monroe's motivated sequence
D. problem-cause-solution

19. Because it follows the process of human thinking, ___________ is particularly useful for organizing persuasive speeches that seek immediate action.
A. Mitchell's strategic progression
B. comparative advantages order
C. Monroe's motivated sequence
D. problem-cause-solution order
E. Morgan's psychological series

20. Seth's persuasive speech contained the following statement: “Will my policy work? Can we institute a law protecting individual privacy against electronic data-gathering by businesses and government agencies? The answer is yes. A policy similar to mine has already been instituted successfully in most of the countries of Western Europe.” Which of the three basic issues of persuasive speeches on questions of policy did Seth address in this excerpt?
A. need B. proposal
C. practicality D. action
E. plan

21. What contemporary researchers term credibility, Aristotle termed
A. ethics. B. logos. C. ethos.
D. pathos. E. credos.

22. The two most important factors affecting the credibility of a persuasive speaker are
A. competence and character.
B. prestige and charisma.
C. character and reputation.
D. popularity and intelligence.
E. charisma and competence.

23. Efram's audience was persuaded by his speech because they perceived him to be sincere, trustworthy, and to have their best interests at heart. Which factor of credibility influenced Efram's audience?
A. dynamism B. charisma C. expertise
D. character E. competence

24. The following statement is an example of reasoning from ____________ . “This program was implemented in Philadelphia two years ago and has provided housing for more than 2,000 people at little cost to the city. If it can work there, it can work here, too.”
A. cause. B. validity. C. principle. D. analogy.

25. When reasoning inductively in a persuasive speech, you should be especially careful to
A. avoid the fallacy of post hoc, ergo propter hoc.
B. keep from generalizing too hastily.
C. state your conclusion before the specific instances 
that prove it.
D. all of the above.
E. b and c only.

26. When you reason in a persuasive speech from a general principle to a specific conclusion, you are using
A. analogical reasoning. B. deductive reasoning.
C. inductive reasoning. D. reasoning from premises.

27. According to your textbook, what error in reasoning should a speaker watch out for when using causal reasoning in a persuasive speech?
A. claiming a causal link between two events when 
they are merely coincidental
B. assuming that events have only one cause when 
there may be multiple causes
C. committing the post nobis fallacy of using 
inappropriate causal evidence
D. all of the above
E. a and b only

28. Post hoc, ergo proper hoc, meaning "after this, therefore because of this," is a fallacy associated with ___________ reasoning.
A. parallel B. deductive C. causal

29. What error in reasoning is exemplified by the following statement? “French movies are all dull. I saw three of them last semester in my film class and couldn't stay awake through a single one.”
A. false cause B. faulty deduction
C. invalid analogy D. hasty generalization

30. Which of the following is the final step in Monroe's motivated sequence? 
A. action B. motivation 
C. visualization D. practicality 
E. solution
31. The most important question to ask when assessing analogical reasoning in a persuasive speech is
A. whether there are enough analogies to support the 
general conclusion.
B. whether the analogical principle is supported by the 
major premise.
C. whether the two cases being compared are 
essentially alike.

32. What error in reasoning is exemplified by the following statement? “I always wear my blue sweater when I take an exam, but I couldn't find it yesterday. If I had worn it yesterday, I would not have flunked my accounting exam.”
A. circular thinking B. hasty generalization
C. invalid analogy D. false cause
E. faulty deduction

33. The either-or fallacy is often referred to as a(n)
A. red herring. B. invalid analogy.
C. hasty generalization. D. false dilemma.

34. The following statement is an example of what type of fallacy? “Representative Thompson's school proposal may be first rate, but don't forget that he never attended college himself.”
A. bandwagon B. ad hominem
C. hasty generalization D. either-or 
E. post hoc, ergo propter hoc

35. The following statement is an example of what type of fallacy? “If we encourage elementary-school students to use computers in the classroom, they will spend less time reading books. As a result, they will fall way behind in developing reading, writing, and thinking skills. Pretty soon we will have a generation of illiterates on our hands.”
A. invalid analogy B. bandwagon
C. slippery slope D. red herring
E. either-or

36. Which of the following is recommended in your textbook as a method for generating emotional appeal in a persuasive speech?
A. use emotional language
B. develop vivid examples
C. speak with sincerity and conviction
D. all of the above
E. a and c only

37. What kind of reasoning is used in the following statement? “In recent years there have been a number of highly publicized cases of sexual harassment in business, government, and education. Thus we can conclude that sexual harassment continues to be a problem for women in the workplace.”
A. analogical reasoning.
B. deductive reasoning.
C. inductive reasoning.
D. reasoning from premises.
E. universal reasoning.

38. Persuasive speeches on questions of value are most often organized in ___________order. 
A. topical B. chronological 
C. deductive D. causal

39. Which of the following is presented in your textbook as a guideline for inductive reasoning in a persuasive speech?
A. reinforce your argument with statistics and testimony
B. use at least two specific instances to prove each 
main point
C. avoid generalizing too hastily
D. all of the above
E. a and c only

40. When using emotional appeal in a persuasive speech, you should usually
A. use as many emotionally-laden words as you can.
B. let emotional appeal grow naturally out of the 
speech content.
C. avoid blurring the lines between reason and 
emotional appeal.
D. restrict emotional appeals to the conclusion of the 
speech.
E. substitute emotional appeals for evidence and 
reasoning.

41. What kind of reasoning is exemplified in the following statement? “Politicians who are guilty of corruption do not deserve to be reelected. Last year our U.S. representative was proved to be corrupt by using cam-paign donations for personal financial gain. Therefore, our U.S. representative does not deserve to be reelected.
A. analogical reasoning.
B. deductive reasoning.
C. inductive reasoning.
D. reasoning from premises.

42. The following statement is an example of what type of fallacy? “We are spending too much time talking about regulating the cable TV industry while other countries are beating us in technological development.”
A. slippery slope B. bandwagon
C. either-or D. red herring

43. The major reason Monroe's motivated sequence is such an effective way of organizing persuasive speeches that seek action from listeners is because it
A. is limited to five steps.
B. can be easily adapted to standard outlining form.
C. follows the process of human thinking.
D. is more detailed than problem-solution order.

44. When Nicole said, “My fathers test results were misread at the XYZ lab. As a result he received the wrong medical treatment. The XYZ lab cannot be trusted,” you recognized this fallacy as
A. a red herring
B. an ad hominem
C. a hasty generalization
D. a bandwagon fallacy

45. “All U.S. citizens have the right to free speech. The members of the KKK are U.S. citizens. Therefore, the members of the KKK have the right to express their opinions” is an example of
A. inductive reasoning
B. deductive reasoning
C. causal reasoning
D. ad hominem

46. When a speaker attacks the person instead of the issue itself, which fallacy the speaker is committing?
A. a red herring
B. an ad hominem
C. a hasty generalization
D. a bandwagon fallacy

47. What is the term for a conclusion reached based on available evidence?
A. a fact
B. an example
C. an inference
D. an opinion

48. Persuasive speeches ask audiences to make an explicit choice, rather than just informing them of their options.
A.True B.False

49. Of attitudes, beliefs, values, and behavior, values are the most easily changed.
A.True B.False

50. The statement “Fidel Castro was responsible for the September 11 attacks,” is a statement of
A. fact B. policy C. value

Category: Homework
Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and Thanks for asking your questions.

I can help you with these. Please let me know your deadline.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for you helping, my deadline is today. and i have one more question, why my bank account processing 80$ two times? i am very curiousness.please tell me how that work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello? Linda

Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
I will follow up with customer service you should be charged only once.

I will post the solution tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay. thank you! I m waiting for it.

Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bryan

I will post the solution in few hours. Once I post the answer you will get the notification via mail. You can come back and check your solution at that time.

You can also contact customer service if your payment issue is still not resolved.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
Just to update you, I am almost done with this assignment will post the solution soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay. just want know how many percent you can make sure is correct?

Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Experience: Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i will rate your service when i get the grade. Thank you very much. It is very fast.

Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bryan

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Linda
Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bryan

Let me know,
Linda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I think so, 85% correct. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I think so, is about 85% correct.

Expert:  Linda_us replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.