Susan Athena
Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
12809769

Create a detailed ERD and Access tables

Customer Question

Create a detailed ERD using the Entities and Attributes document provided with the Service Request. Create a Microsoft® Access® database using the ERD created above. You do not need to include keys and relationships at this point. Include the following: • Tables with appropriate data types • Descriptions • Format • Masking Submit the ERD, memo, and Microsoft® Access® database file to your facilitator.

I gave you the wrong memo!

Here is the memo I wrote for this assignment:

To: XXXXX XXXXX Services/Logistics Manager at Taylor Ambulance

RE: Service Request SR-ta-001 Scheduling System Database

This memo is to inform you that a service request SR-ta-001 has been submitted and brought to my attention.  This request has been processed and is currently in motion to be completed.  The purpose of this memo is to advise you on the development and state of this service request.  At this time I am actively normalizing the database to the 3rd normal form. Through normalizing the database to the 3rd level of normalization, I will ensure that the data is properly and accurately arranged in the database.  This process includes getting rid of duplicate and unnecessary data that exists within the database relations. Normalizing the data to the usual third will positively affect the customer by aid the provision of room while making data more accessible by removing redundant data saved in several relations.  Normalizing to this level will also guarantee scalability, data integrity, as well as storage efficiency.  I can state with certainty that you will no longer have repetitive rows or columns in the same tables and in addition, each column maintains one value and one data type. Because of this step in the resolution, the level one normalization has been completed. From this point I have proceeded to normalize the database to the 2nd level of normalization.  This level has reached an accomplished state by making sure that each non key attribute is fully dependent on the key columns of the table. At the point when normal form of level 1 and 2 reached completion I moved forward by combining foreign and primary keys creating relationships. I will update you as the project reaches near completion.

Sincerely,

Meredith L.  Hall

From a managers perspective employees using the new database will receive training through attending extensive workshops, and other offered training dates to ensure that all users have been educated and been given the necessary knowledge one how to properly operate the system and the expected performance from this new system. The accomplished objective with this new product is to reduce redundancy and inaccurate data entry. I look forward to hearing your response and listening to your ideas, and uncovered issues or concerns with the database.

Sincerely,

Meredith L Hall

Category: Homework
Expert:  Susan Athena replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer and thanks for your question. Do you have a database design that you're starting with, or any requirements for the database?

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for just responding. My father has been in the hospital since May 16th and my brother just went to a detox clinic. The past week has been particularly rough. We are to use Access. we are to create a scheduling system in Access and also an EDR along with it.

The Taylor Ambulance Company has the following scheduling system entities and attributes:

Incident

Patient Name

Incident Address

Incident Description

Resource Sent

Personnel 1 Name

Personnel 2 Name

Personnel 2 Credentials

Personnel 2 Credentials

Nearest Hospital

Disposition of Incident

Billing

Incident ID

Diagnosis

Number of personnel responding

Distance Travelled

Type of Equipment Sent

Material Used 1 Description

Material Used 2 Description

Material Used 3 Description

Material Used 4 Description

Material Used 1 Cost

Material Used 2 Cost

Material Used 3 Cost

Material Used 4 Cost

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Incident

Patient Name

Incident Address

Incident Description

Resource Sent

Personnel 1 Name

Personnel 2 Name

Personnel 2 Credentials

Personnel 2 Credentials

Nearest Hospital

Disposition of Incident

Billing

Incident ID

Diagnosis

Number of personnel responding

Distance Travelled

Type of Equipment Sent

Material Used 1 Description

Material Used 2 Description

Material Used 3 Description

Material Used 4 Description

Material Used 1 Cost

Material Used 2 Cost

Material Used 3 Cost

Material Used 4 Cost

HERE IS WHAT MY PROFESSOR STATED:

For the individual assignment this week, all you need to do is the following:

1. Create your ERD based on the Taylor Ambulance Entities and Attributes Document.(Remember that Taylor Ambulance is a virtual organization accessed from the Materials forum).
2. Create your database, tables, and fields based on that same Entities and Attributes Document.
3. Create your memo.

That is it. You do not need to enter any patient data into your database for this week. Just create the tables and fields. We will work on the primary keys, relationships, and data input in a later week of the class. Dont forget to look at the tutorials to help you with creating your tables and fields.

Hi. Thanks for that! No worries, I understand how busy you are right now!

Your assignment says:

Create a detailed ERD using the Entities and Attributes document provided with the Service Request.

So, just to clarify - is the Entities and Attributes document the one you posted above (two tables only, Incident and Billing)? Or did you have another document that describes what the new database should look like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is it. I have a sample ERD and I am trying to make one myself with the entities I sent to you. I am either not thinking clearly or overly confused.

I so far drew two rectangles breaking them down by billing and Incident then listed the items under them. I just feel like I am supposed to break it down further or something. Like it is not supposed to be that simple for me to do. BUT I am getting flustered when I begin to break apart the items differently.

I believe that I am supposed to create the scheduling tables in ACCESS with only the info on the same info I sent to you with the entities and attributes.

Hi. That's great - thank you for the clarification.

Yes, the first ERD will be very simple because of the way the database is designed; it's really more like two spreadsheets. My guess is that the instructor will have you gradually normalize the database, so it'll mirror the way you'd improve a database like this "in real life".

I can put together my own answer so you can compare it with your own, OR wait til you've completed yours, then review it for accuracy. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The design is to be made for a unit scheduling system supported by a database. Create the ERD for the database normalized to the third normal form.

OK, in that case, I'll redo the design normalized properly, and will have that to you later tonight.

Kind regards,
Susan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

In Access I used a blank database and added two columns. Then I listed the entities in rows down under the columns Billing and Incident. I just do not think I am on the right track. I will wait for your version and compare. The power point for the ERD I placed the billing over one box and incident over the other and drew dotted lines from Incident to Billing. Does this sound like I am going in the right direction at least?

Hi. Well, now that it says, "normalized to the 3rd normal form", that means a complete redesign is required. That is, your instructor wants to see the database 'fixed'. As you'll recall, 3rd normal form requires, among other things, that there be no repeated field names like "Personnel 1' and "Personnel 2". I have to pull those out to their own table. I'm almost done with the ERD, and it's looking like I'll have about 13 tables now.

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK! So the items under the table have to relate back to that key and nothing other than that key. Even if there is a redundant entry from table to table?

Sorry, I know you are busy... just really want to make sure I am grasping this.

Yes, that's exactly right! You'll see when I post the ERD tonight, but the only thing you want to copy from table to table is the key. For example: you've got Incidents (one table) and Personnel (another table). Each of those will have a primary key (call them IncidentID and PersonnelID). A row in the Incident table is one incident, and a row in the Personnel table is one person. Then you make a third table called IncidentPersonnel, which has two fields: one for the IncidentID and one for the PersonnelID. Adding a row to that table means, "The person with this ID was a participant in the Incident with this ID". You can also add attributes which are specific to that combination: for example, maybe you want to add the file number of the report that person did on that specific incident. You could make that an attribute of the PersonnelTable, because it relates to that incident/person combination.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok! This is starting to make sense! I am so grateful for the time and explanations. I am out of my wheelhouse and very used to grasping things relatively quickly and I am honestly not so sure I am able to handle one more thing swinging in the wrong direction. Thank you! XXXXX request you in the future? I have never used a sight like this before.

I think you're doing great. It's not easy at first, but you've got the main idea ... you'll get it with some practice.

Yes, feel free to request me in the future. Just put "For Susan Athena" at the start and I'll see it right away when I'm online.

I'm posting the database and ERD diagram right now. I made the ERD in Visio, and will post the original document (vsd) and also a pdf in case you can't read that.

You can download them all here. Let me know if you have any trouble or if you need me to answer followup questions.

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/b6RWuGNg7XpFKxmZkiqsH1SWocb5CRl%2F

Once you're all set, just click "Accept".

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! XXXXX translate easily for me when I complete my access database?

No, Visio and Access aren't related. Visio is the program I used to create the ERD diagram. If you don't have it installed, you probably won't be able to view (or change) the diagram, but you can see all the content in the PDF file.
Experience: 10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My professor said there was too much information that wasn't on the attributes and entities sheet. He thought if I didn't bring it back to the two tables I would have a hard time building on it moving forward...

OK, that's fine. Remember there was some confusion about whether this ERD was meant to be for the new "normalized" design or the old poor design. I can build out the ERD and database for the original two-table design. That design is not normalized to 3rd normal form.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.