Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Teacher, Tutor--40+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher
1470369

Do you have someone who knows musical theory?

allsolver :

Hi, please post your questions. I might be able to help you in this one. Thanks.

Customer:

You probably remember the old "Dragnet" rhythm: "duh-duhduh-duh". If one plays that C-D-D#, in what key are you playing?

Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you today.

The Dragnet theme is played in the key of C minor.

See here for the first page of sheet music: DRAGNET

I hope this helped.

If you need additional information or clarification, simply Reply back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If you would like to request me to answer any future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is for Cher.

Thanks for the info but C minor is a chord, not a key, isn't it? Also, I see by the sheet music that "Dragnet is in the Key of E flat major. Did the writer just pick this key as the one he wanted?

As is said before, I want to know in what key I am playing when I just play C-D-D#. Am I making sense?

Len

Hi again, Len and you're most welcome.

Thanks for your reply.

As you can see here, on the left: Piano Keys E flat is the Major Key and C minor is it's accompanying Minor Key.

Yes, the composer chose to write his music in this key and the first four notes are as you want to play them: C, D, D#, C followed by: C, D, D#, C, F# and these are in the keys of E Flat Major and C Minor.

Just some history, if you're interested Laughing : The Dragnet Theme was written by Walter Schumann for the radio and television show, but after it's debut, and when it became a hit on the music charts, the 'real' author of the piece, Miklós Rózsa who wrote it for the 1946 film version of "The Killers" challenged the authorship by Shumann. They came to an agreement regarding shared royalties, but Schumann continued to be known as the author of the Dragnet theme. More here: Dragnet Theme

I hope this clarified it for you but, click 'Reply' if you need more help. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Cher. Thanks for the helpful info.

I have one more question: What notes are played for a Cm, maj7 chord and what right hand fingers are used. How can they stretch that far?

Also, is this chord ever played with the left hand?

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Cher, Teacher
Experience: Teacher, Tutor--40+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher