Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration

Teacher Greg,Are you able to assist me with a multiple

American Literature Assistance Please

I need some help with a multiple choice ( 30 min timed ) exercise.

It is very basic for any American Lit expert.

Please assist

Thank you,

Category: Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for the request.

I sure am - let me know when you are ready. How many questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OMG where have you been !! Mister !!! LOL

I am ready now, I believe its only 15

ready now ??

PS : i thought you were gone and I was very upset lol

I am still here - for sure!

Go ahead and post when ready.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. Who wrote the first account about England's attempts to colonize the New World in Virginia? (Points : 5)

Christopher Columbus
William Bradford
Thomas Jefferson

2. What time period covers the span of American literary history referred to as the American Renaissance? (Points : 5)

3. What European literary movement emphasized individual expression in art and individual rights in politics, and directly influenced the flowering of the first significant American literature? (Points : 5)

4. What early American literary and philosophical movement emphasized the power of the individual and a personal connection with nature? (Points : 5)

5. What late 19th and early 20th century American literary movement stressed the determining influence of social and environmental forces on individual lives? (Points : 5)

6. What two towering works of early American fiction were created by mutual friends Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman Melville? (Points : 5)

The Turn of the Screw and The Sound and the Fury
Walden and Nature
Uncle Tom's Cabin and Tom Sawyer
The Scarlet Letter and Moby Dick

7. What great American poet saw fewer than 20 poems published in her lifetime, but is recognized today for her short, passionate, symbolic verse? (Points : 5)

Anne Bradstreet
Annie Dillard
Emily Dickinson
Sylvia Plath

8. Which writer is generally credited as the inventor of the modern short-story form? (Points : 5)

William Faulkner
Django Reinhardt
Ichabod Crane
Edgar Allan Poe

9. Who was the author of The Great Gatsby , who lived and chronicled the "Jazz Age" of the 1920s? (Points : 5)

Theodore Dreiser
Ezra Pound
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Robert Frost

10. The first American writer of imaginative literature to gain international fame, the author of Sleepy Hollow and Rip van Winkle, was ___. (Points : 5)

Jonathan Edwards
Ben Franklin
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Washington Irving

11. Who were two African-American authors who had a significant impact on American culture in the Modernist period of the twentieth century? (Points : 5)

Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg
John Steinbeck and John Dos Passos
XXXXX XXXXX and Langston Hughes
Toni Morrison and Maya Angelou

12. What American writer claimed it was not just our right, as Americans, but our duty to defy unjust laws, and has subsequently influenced social leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King? (Points : 5)

James Baldwin
Henry David Thoreau
Abraham Lincoln

13. Which of the following issues is not central to our understanding of the American Civil War, and its impact on the American writing that ensued? (Points : 5)

States' rights
Women's suffrage

14. What rapidly developing industry, flourishing in America, helped produce the great generation of writers in the period following the Civil War? (Points : 5)

The press
The Foreign Service
The railroads

15. Whose dominance in American literature ended with the multiculturalism that appeared after World War II? (Points : 5)

Native Americans
Anglo-Saxon Protestants
Hispanic women

16. Which of the following is not a genre? (Points : 5)

Short story

17. Free verse is ___. (Points : 5)

poetry using imperfect rhyme and alliteration
poetry about the civil rights movement
poetry without fixed patterns
another name for pentameter

18. "Point of view" in fiction is the ___. (Points : 5)

narrator's knowledge of the characters and events
situation at the beginning before the action starts
chief character or protagonist

19. Irony is ___. (Points : 5)

a scheme by one character to entrap another
a contrast between appearance and reality
language that smooth and pleasing to the ear
writing whose purpose is to allow the reader to escape from everyday reality

20. The denouement comes ___. (Points : 5)

after the falling action
before the climax
just after the exposition
in the sequel

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration