TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems
59032869

Create a server side, .NET application to display the profile

Create a server side, .NET application to display the profile information found in the database created last week.
Category: Homework
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. Thank you for requesting me.

By when do you require this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

By Monday.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

I will contact you once this is complete.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!

You can download the project here:

Attachment: 2013-06-02_192730_kudler_fine_foods.zip

This is a Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express 2010 project. To open the project, you would go to "Open Project" in VWD and select the SLN file (after you have unzipped this file).

After opening the project, open the users.aspx page. Press the green play button to play it in your browser. You will see that you can select either user from the database and their full profile information will automatically display on the page.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help.

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The application works as you said. Thanks! Would this be considered a .NET application even thought the file extension is ASPX?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
.NET is not a file extension. .NET is a Microsoft Framework. .NET includes many different languages:

ASP
VB.NET
C#

For a .NET web application, it would be an ASP.NET (which has the extension of .aspx) application with either VB.NET OR C# XXXXX the backend language.

So yes, this is exactly as it should be.

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you again.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My teammate is getting a parse error when he tries to run the application in Visual Studio 2010. Any ideas?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
You didn't get a parse error and I didn't get a parse error.

It is impossible for me to tell why a third-party is getting a parse error. However, from my experience, it is likely that this person does not have something on their computer set up correctly or they have changed something in the code. There are no parse errors in the code that I sent you.

My question would be, "Are you using VWD 2010?", do you have a current version of the .NET framework installed? (have you run Windows Update regularly). Have you changed ANYTHING at all in any file in the project? If so, odds are that you broke something. Are you opening the project correctly? The solution needs to be opened, not just the code file.

Again, attempting to help a third-party is next to impossible. But again, since both you and I are not receiving any errors, the issues is either on your partners computer or the issue is that your partner doesn't know how to use VWD correctly.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
If your partner continues to have issues, you could ask for screen shots (Of the entire window, with error). Ideally, it would show the window title (which shows the version of VWD), the solution explorer, and the error list.

Then send them to me so that I can take a look. Use ge.tt to upload them and then paste the download links in this thread.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here's the parsing error my teammate is getting. Another teammate was able to run the file, so it's definitely a problem on his end. Thanks for looking into it.

http://ge.tt/82dRfPi/v/0?c

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

It appears that this one partner is doing something very wrong. It says it cannot find profile. So it seems to not be able to find the C# files. The only reason it would not be able to find the C# files is if the this partner did something very wrong. For instance, copying the aspx file without including the .cs files, opening the file while it is still zipped, or opening the project incorrectly.

There is only one correct way to open this project.

1.) Unzip the project
2.) DO NOT MOVE A SINGLE FILE. DO NOT COPY ANYTHING OUT OF ITS CURRENT DIRECTORY, DO NOT OPEN ANY FILES DIRECTLY.
3.) In Visual Web Developer, go to "Open Project"
4.) Navigate to the Kudler Fine Foods.sln file. ONLY OPEN THE SLN FILE. DO NOT OPEN ANY OTHER FILE.

This is the only correct way of doing this. According to that error, IIS cannot find the .cs files OR your partner has altered the .cs files. In either case, it is completely this person's fault.

As I mentioned before, I would have preferred to receive a screenshot of the VWD window with the solution explorer open. It seems that this person is doing thing very incorrectly. It is easy enough to provide someone with good code. Conveying the ability to actually use that code in a development environment is entirely different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have another error message from my teammate. If this doesn't shed some light for him, I'm just gonna give up trying to help him. Clearly he's messing something up because everyone else can get it to work.

http://ge.tt/3UuAnki/v/0

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
That is not an error.

That is letting your teammate know that his computer is not up to date. This means that he has not been running Windows Update regularly. This is extremely basic computer skills (Introduction to Computing-level stuff).

A student taking a .NET class who doesn't keep Windows updated shouldn't be in a .NET class. He needs to run windows update and get the latest .NET framework installed. However, based on all of this, I am betting that he runs into all sorts of issues running Windows Update.

If you continue to have issues, I would recommend that you inform your instructor that your teammate isn't even using a compatible, up-to-date operating system. It is not your responsibility to make certain that your teammate's computer meets minimum course requirements.

If your teammate is using a compatible operating system (Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows XP Professional SP3), Windows Update will list .NET 4 as a critical update. But given that he is obviously not running Windows Update regularly or automatically, he may have to run it many times. He may have no service packs installed, which would have to be done first.

This is an excellent example of why people who are not computer experts should not turn of automatic updates. But again, this isn't your responsibility.