Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. Which of the following was most instrumental in ending the

1. Which of the following was most instrumental in ending the Reign of Secrecy? A. Ptolemy's Geography B. The printing press C. The black market in maps D. The increase in sea expeditions 2. The response to the early energy crisis in the seventeenth century was to use coal as a fuel and power source. Those who mined the coal were regarded by the English society as A. saviors. B. innovators. C. outcasts. D. destroyers. 3. After 1712, the Newcomen engine would have been of immediate importance to your enterprise if you A. were invested in textile production. B. operated a coal mine. C. were a ship builder. D. were in search of new modes of transportation. 4. By the end of the seventeenth century, attitudes that witch-hunting was a reasonable response to natural or social calamity changed. This was largely brought about by the A. Newtonian mechanistic view of the universe. B. disbelief in Satan's responsibility for misfortunes. C. increase in religious tolerance. D. improved living conditions of the seventeenth century. 5. Which statement regarding the slaving era is true? A. The slave trade ended in the early nineteenth century due to British efforts. B. The real cost of slaves decreased steadily during the eighteenth century. C. The slave trade continued in the nineteenth century, but only in North America. D. The real price of slaves increased steadily over the eighteenth century. 6. European societies initially looked at coal mining with disfavor because it A. polluted the environment. B. endangered the mining population. C. necessitated changes in production. D. violated the sanctity of the earth. 7. According to researchers who have explored the social functions of African folktales among American slaves, which of these tales is considered a striking example of specific instruction for living in a slaveholding society? A. The revised tale of Noah and the flood B. The Brer Rabbit tales C. The slave who meets an animal who can speak D. The tale of Anansi the spider folk hero 8. Portugal had the advantage over Spain and other nations in securing the spice trade because they A. were able to keep the all-water route a secret. B. had greater financial reserves for funding expeditions. C. had superior ships and navigational equipment. D. had developed a system of stations along the route. 9. The one factor responsible for the quickening of China's economy in the sixteenth century was the A. increased demand for Chinese products. B. influx of Portuguese silver. C. initiation of trade with Portugal. D. implementation of the salt-exchange system. 10. The underlying goal of Cotton Mather's The Return of the Several Ministers was to encourage the Salem court to A. continue to prosecute witches. B. cease to prosecute witches. C. release the imprisoned witches. D. increase the hunt for new witches. 11. The goal of Confucian philosophy in sixteenth-century China was to create A. disciplined work force. B. a strong domestic economy. C. a uniform educational system. D. social harmony and stability. 12. African slaves were regarded as superior to all other enforced immigrants to the New World because they A. tended to be docile. B. were affordable labor for plantation work. C. survived the best in the American tropics. D. were available in great numbers. 13. African participation in the slave trade ultimately diverted energy from A. educational and artistic development. B. medical and scientific development. C. cultural and social development. D. economic and technological development. 14. If you were a _________ in sixteenth-century China, you might very well be looked on as parasite, a person who made no contributions to the well-being of the people. A. Confucian B. scholar C. merchant D. Mongol 15. Which of the following prevented the growth of an independent merchant class in sixteenth-century China? A. Intermarriage with other classes B. Governmental opposition C. Allegiance to Confucian philosophy D. Weakening domestic markets 16. The majority of African slaves were sent to A. Brazil. B. Colombia. C. the United States. D. the Caribbean. 17. The salt exchange was important to the merchants of Huizchou because it A. was their primary commodity for trade. B. allowed for extended trading regions. C. served as a rural monetary unit. D. enabled them to cure and trade fish. 18. Europeans set out to establish sugar plantations in the Caribbean in an attempt to A. supply the network of European bakeries. B. meet their needs and eliminate an expensive import. C. mass-produce alcoholic beverages. D. satisfy a newly developed sweet tooth. 19. When Ptolemy's Geography was rediscovered, the map-making profession was A. enlarged by the addition of many scholars to its ranks. B. stimulated to produce more for decorative maps. C. legitimized as a profession. D. supplied with a set of map proofs.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Zelesi,

I will be glad to assist with these questions. Is there a Question #20 that got cut from your post? If so, please post that question in a reply.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

20. During the slaving era, each section of the African coast had its own trade currency. Which one
mentioned in your reading was initially a measure of gold dust?
A. The ounce
B. The piece of eight
C. The manilla
D. The bar

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Question 7 is wrong please verify and assist me with the correct answer. I also have othe questions can I post them here as I don't have enough money to ask a new question

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Zelesi,

I just logged on and saw your reply. My answer to question #7 seemed to be the best choice, but if you are sure it is incorrect, then 'C. The slave who meets an animal who can speak' is probably the expected answer. This is a cautionary tale about the necessity, as a slave, to be careful about what one divulges to the master. Check your text on how this is explained. Unfortunately, site rules mandate that other questions be posted on a new, separate question page. I would appreciate if you could supply a positive rating for these answers so that I am compensated. When you are able to make new question posts, I will be happy to look at those.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have other questions for you

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Zelesi,

Can you please post these on a new question page?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please check question 7 the answer is not correct

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Zelesi,

Did you submit the answers to this exam and receive a grade?

-Chris M.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes!

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
How did you do ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i got 95% but number 7 was wrong

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Your test results should have given you the correct answer and page reference for question #7. Sorry if that answer was incorrect; glad you scored 95%.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

-Chris M.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I have posted another question please help with that one. I hope you have seen it I can give a bonus if it is 100% correct

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
I will have a look at that one.

Thanks!