Joanne
Joanne, Tutor
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Political Science

Phase 1 Individual Project Deliverable Length: 800 – 1000

Phase 1 Individual Project
Deliverable Length: 800 – 1000 words + graphs
Details: Weekly tasks or assignments (Individual or Group Projects) will be due by Monday 27, 2013 and late submissions will be assigned a late penalty in accordance with the late penalty policy found in the syllabus. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.

In economics, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Below, you will find two scenarios. Your assignment is to discuss the situation by writing the solutions, and then show the solutions and how you got here in one or more graphs or flowcharts.

Scenario One

Supply and demand are foundational concepts in understanding economic theory. Whether you are a coffee drinker or not, you have been tasked to examine the impact of supply and demand when dealing with the coffee retail industry.

A few companies probably come to mind. Pick a major coffee retailer and the contemplate what has been happening to both the supply and demand for this product.

To begin, the following scenario deals with what happened in the coffee industry at the beginning of last decade:

In the early part of the last decade, there was an overproduction of coffee. The price dropped so low that producers' costs were higher than the market price. The reason this happened was that market prices became high before this, and the supply of coffee increased substantially. In the meantime, demand for coffee and everything else remained the same.

Coffee prices, as a supply input, went down. In the meantime, gourmet coffee houses began appearing, which began charging a premium for coffee in the period of decreasing prices.

Gourmet coffee houses tend to open in high-rent areas and cater to higher income consumers. Because of the change they created for taste and preferences and the higher income market, the gourmet coffee houses had a win-win in a period of falling wholesale prices and increasing retail prices.
Explain the changes in the supply and demand creating a supply and demand curve based on the above information. In this graph, be sure to demonstrate how these changes affected the price and quantity levels of supply and demand.

Based on this analysis, how were coffee retailers faring in the marketplace?

Now, fast forward to the current conditions in the coffee retail industry. Based on your research of your coffee retailer, what types of changes are occurring as they relate to supply and demand?

Scenario Two

In this next scenario, start your discussion by examining the differences between the definitions of the macroeconomics and microeconomics? Next, discuss how the concepts of supply and demand relate to (1) microeconomics and (2) macroeconomics.

In order for you demonstrate understanding of the supply and demand, from the perspective of a microeconomic vs. macroeconomic, pick three of the ten scenarios below and discuss the following:

•Is the scenario a macroeconomic or microeconomic example of supply and demand
•Is this impacting supply or demand?
•Is this example going to experience a shift or a movement of supply or demand?
•As a result of this change, what happened to equilibrium price and quantity?
The ten examples for you to consider are listed below:

1.After Hurricane Katrina, what happened to the price of fish?
2.After the development of the microchip, what happened to the price of computers?
3.After the government raised tariffs on imported cheese, what happened to the price of domestic cheese?
4.Polyester suits have become trendy again. What happens to their price?
5.Internet auction sites are becoming more popular, and people are using them more and more.
6.A new health report came out that said red wine lowers cholesterol.
7.The government raises taxes.
8.Inflation increases.
9.Immigration laws are relaxed.
10.The government increases spending.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Joanne replied 1 year ago.

Joanne :

hi, i am working on this for you

Customer:

ok, Thank You

Joanne :

Hi

Joanne :

Your answer is ready

Joanne :

Please download here

Joanne :

Let me know if there are any issues and I'll make the necessary changes.

Joanne :

Otherwise, please help to leave a positive rating, thank yo.

Joanne :

thank you*

Customer:

Hello Joanne, It is very good thank You

Joanne, Tutor
Experience: BSc (Hons) Political Science