Chirag
Chirag, Tutor
Experience:  Masters Degree

Exercise 1: Data Interpretation Table 1: Water Quality vs.

Customer Question

Exercise 1: Data Interpretation
Table 1: Water Quality vs. Fish Population
Dissolved Oxygen 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18
Number of Fish Observed 0 1 3 10 12 13 15 10 12 13

1. What patterns do you observe based on the information in Table 1?

2. Develop a hypothesis relating to the amount of dissolved oxygen measured in the water sample and the number of fish observed in the body of water.

3. What would your experimental approach be to test this hypothesis?

4. What are the independent and dependent variables?

5. What would be your control?

6. What type of graph would be appropriate for this data set? Why?

7. Graph the data from Table 1: Water Quality vs. Fish Population (found at the beginning of this exercise). You may use Excel, then “Insert” the graph, or use another drawing program. You may also draw it neatly by hand and scan your drawing. If you choose this option, you must insert the scanned jpg image here.

8. Interpret the data from the graph made in Question 7.

Exercise 2: Testable Observations

Determine which of the following observations (A-J) could lead to a testable hypothesis.
For those that are testable:
Write a hypothesis and null hypothesis
What would be your experimental approach?
What are the dependent and independent variables?
What is your control?
How will you collect your data?
How will you present your data (charts, graphs, types)?
How will you analyze your data?

1. When a plant is placed on a window sill, it grows three inches faster per day than when it is placed on a coffee table in the middle of the living room.

2. The teller at the bank with brown hair and brown eyes and is taller than the other tellers.

3. When Sally eats healthy foods and exercises regularly, her blood pressure is 10 points lower than when she does not exercise and eats unhealthy foods.

4. The Italian restaurant across the street closes at 9 pm but the one two blocks away closes at
10 pm.

5. For the past two days the clouds have come out at 3 pm and it has started raining at 3:15 pm.

6. George did not sleep at all the night following the start of daylight savings.
Exercise 3: Conversion
For each of the following, convert each value into the designated units.

1. 46,756,790 mg = _______ kg
2. 5.6 hours = ________ seconds
3. 13.5 cm = ________ inches
4. 47 °C = _______ °F

Exercise 4: Accuracy and Precision
1. During gym class, four students decided to see if they could beat the norm of 45 sit-ups in a minute. The first student did 64 sit-ups, the second did 69, the third did 65, and the fourth did 67. 2. The average score for the 5th grade math test is 89.5. The top 4th graders took the test and scored 89, 93, 91 and 87.
2. Yesterday the temperature was 89 °F, tomorrow it’s supposed to be 88°F and the next day it’s supposed to be 90°F, even though the average for September is only 75°F degrees!
3. Four friends decided to go out and play horseshoes. They took a picture of their results shown to the right:

4. A local grocery store was holding a contest to see who could most closely guess the number of pennies that they had inside a large jar. The first six people guessed the numbers 735, 209, 390, 300, 1005 and 689. The grocery clerk said the jar actually contains 568 pennies.

Exercise 5: Significant Digits and Scientific Notation
Part 1: Determine the number of significant digits in each number and write out the specific significant digits.

1. 405000
2. 0.0098
3. 39.999999
4. 13.00
5. 80,000,089
6. 55,430.00
7. 0.000033
8. 620.03080

Part 2: Write the numbers below in scientific notation, incorporating what you know about significant digits.

1. 70,000,000,000
2. 0.000000048
3. 67,890,000
4. 70,500
5. 450,900,800
6. 0.009045
7. 0.023
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chirag replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

I can assist you with those questions. By when do you need this to be submitted? Please let me know.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and Thank you,

I would need this by Saturday the 18th.

Thank you,

Expert:  Chirag replied 1 year ago.
Ok, In Exercise 4 (Accuracy and Precision), it is not mentioned what is to be done? Please clarify.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Exclude exercise 4. Please do the remaining.

Thank you,

Expert:  Chirag replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will work on this and post the answer file before Friday.
Expert:  Chirag replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chirag, Tutor
Experience: Masters Degree
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the work. I do have one question, if I paid could you do more of these if required? And could I request you???

Expert:  Chirag replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for rating my work and the generous tip!

Yes, I can assist you with more questions, as long as they have some Math/Statistics in them.

If you need help again in future, Please request me by adding the words "FOR GURU2009 ONLY" in your post.

Thanks.