TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems
59032869

Based on our operational database, movie distributing and renting

Based on our operational database, movie distributing and renting system (focus on movie distribution and sale), build a data mart (star schema) which can answer the following questions:

1) Which movie and\or movie category has the better sales by months and\or quarters?

2) Which distributor had best or better earnings (suppose profit margin is 12% for all the distributors) by months and\or quarters??

3) Which store should be the better sale target for movie sale?
Category: Homework
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

In order to do this, I will need to see the original database, the "movie distributing and renting system."

Please provide whatever SQL you have for this system. If you have a functional database, you can send me the dump/export of that database.

Which DBMS are you using for this project? (e.g., MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle)

When you gather your documents, please zip them up and upload them to http://ge.tt

Once uploaded, you will be given a link on the right. Click on the 'Copy Link' option and then paste it here.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi,

I uploaded them. It is oracle with sqlplus

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://www.ge.tt/7CBvXqf/v/0?c

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

I will contact you once this is complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also, could you help me with the last part of same assignment?

• usethe movie distributing and renting system database as the data resource to extract the useful data for your data warehouse. Data range is about 1 year or 365 days.

• based on the requirement to extract data and manipulate the data in a way to fit your dimension and facts tables. For example, there is no cost data for each movie distributor bought. You need to calculate it based on assumed profit margin.

• build a temporary data stage area to store the data generated from the data extraction and manipulation from the database.

• design and build a star schema with dimensions and facts tables. Poopulate the tables with the data in the data stage area.

• develop stored procedures or SQL scripts to show the answers to the business intelligence questions. This is in fact to analyze the data in your data warehouse and generate Business intelligence reports to support a mission-critical decision making process.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Generally, if you have additional work to your original question, you should enter it as a second question. This addition about triples the amount of work to be done. If you need this other part along with your original request, then I will not have the time to assist you.

When asking a question, please enter the entire question. Had I seen this other part, I would have known that I would not have enough time to assist. If you would still like the first part from your original question, just let me know. I apologize that I cannot complete all of these additional requirements for you. I simply do not have the necessary availability to provide you with the excellent service that you deserve.

Again, let me know if you would still like me to send you the first part. Have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes...thank you. please assist with 1 part

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!

You can download the star schema for the original question here:

http://wikisend.com/download/297096/star.sql

It includes three dimension tables and one fact table. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help.

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. Great, but what about the sql queries to answer this

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
The question was not for SQL statements for those question. The question you entered was:

"build a data mart (star schema) which can answer the following questions:

The dimensions that exist with a star schema are highly dependent on what the desired data will be. In no place in your question did you ask for queries for each of those questions. You asked for a star schema that will support those questions, which is what I provided. Do you also need queries? I don't see that anywhere in your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I will send you queries. Although, that is rather abnormal. You wouldn't just write queries in a data warehouse. You would create views.

Building a star schema to support desired data and building the views/queries for the desired data are completely different tasks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi,

SELECT DISTINCT
FIRST_VALUE(td.ORDER_MONTH) OVER (ORDER BY mof.TOTAL_SALES DESC) AS Month,
FIRST_VALUE(mof.MOVIE_TITLE) OVER (ORDER BY mof.TOTAL_SALES DESC) AS TITLE,
FIRST_VALUE(mof.TOTAL_SALES) OVER (ORDER BY mof.TOTAL_SALES DESC) AS SALES
FROM MOVIE_ORDER_FACTS mof
JOIN TIME_DIMENSION td
ON mof.TIME_ID = td.TIME_ID;

what do you mean with first_value is that the name of the variable