Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

I need the answers to the following questions so I can double

I need the answers to the following questions so I can double check my work:

1. Which of the following types of heaters uses a special glass sheet with a metallic backing that serves as
a heating element?
A. Vertical discharge unit heater
B. Solar panel-skylight
C. Radiant-glass wall-mounted panel heater
D. Ceiling-mounted cable radiant heater

2. What is the TD for an outdoor design temperature of 20°F and an indoor design temperature of 75°F?
A. 35 C. 55
B. 45 D. 95

3. Which of the following is not a type of heat loss from a building?
A. Radiation C. Circulation
B. Convection D. Conduction

4. A circuit with a resistance of 25 ohms is carrying a current of 2 A. How much heat, in watts, is
developed?
A. 50 C. 450
B. 100 D. 1250

5. Using the degree day method, calculate the annual kWh use in Springfield, Illinois, with a heat loss of
12 kW, and an indoor design temperature of 70°F, and assuming 24-hour per day occupancy.
A. 18,810 C. 25,080
B. 23,512 D. 34,466

6. What is not a factor that reduces the required number of kWh for heating?
A. Higher lighting levels C. Greater number of people occupying building
B. Greater use of electric equipment D. Greater ventilation

7. Heating units that depend upon the natural circulation of air in the space to be heated are called
A. unit ventilators. C. electric baseboard heaters.
B. heat pumps. D. hot-water storage heaters.

8. Balance point temperature is the
A. temperature at which point ventilation is not required.
B. temperature at which cooling is required.
C. outside temperature at which point heat loss from the building equals internal heat gain.
D. temperature at which point back-up heat comes on.

9. A very good insulator has an R value of 29. The material’s heat transfer coefficient is.
A. 0.034 C. 14.5
B. 8.497 D. 29

10. Of the following, what is true of radiant heat?
A. Lower temperature settings can be used with the same comfort level.
B. A normal thermostat can be used.
C. It is no longer considered a safe heating system.
D. It can only be used as a central system.

11. The best place to locate a thermostat is on an
A. outside wall near a window. C. inside wall by a baseboard radiator.
B. inside wall near an outside door. D. inside wall in a draft-free area.

12. Which of the following types of heating systems is often installed with a humidistat to improve fresh air
exchange?
A. Radiant ceiling cable C. Hydronic heating system
B. Panel heaters D. Resistance baseboard

13. The amount of time it takes for one Btu to flow across one square foot of surface when there is a 1°F
temperature difference from one side of the material to the other is known as
A. the insulating factor. C. thermal capacity.
B. a material’s R-value. D. internal heat gain.

14. The edges of the concrete slab in underfloor thermal-storage systems are insulated to
A. block heat from getting into the building.
B. prevent heat loss through soil to the outside.
C. support the weight of the concrete slab.
D. prevent water from entering the building.

15. What is the internal heat gain, in kW, from a factory with 20 kW of lighting (surface-mounted), 10 kW of
running motors, and 10 people doing light benchwork?
A. 17.8 C. 20.8
B. 20 D. 23.8

16. What is a common heating system for school gymnasiums?
A. Unit ventilators C. Underfloor thermal storage
B. Electric baseboard D. Ceramic heaters

17. When a low-voltage thermostat with a thermal relay calls for heat, which of the following best describes
what happens?
A. Voltage is applied across the relay heater, causing the contacts to close.
B. Voltage is applied across the relay heater, causing the contacts to open.
C. The mercury switch closes.
D. The pilot valve operates.

18. What is the best electric system for a residential building where cost is the primary concern, and air
circulation is important?
A. Heat pump C. Central warm-air furnace
B. Baseboard D. Radiant glass panels

19. Which of the following controls can automatically reduce heating levels when the building is unoccupied
for long periods of time and heat isn’t needed?
A. Damper control C. Thermostat with a bimetallic element
B. Sensing element D. Program clock

20. Which of these choices is the most expensive electric system to operate?
A. Baseboard C. Heat pump
B. Program clock D. Radiant ceiling
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the help and will use this servcie again; however, only 75% of the answers are correct so I can't give a better rating than OK.