TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems

The following assignment is based on the database environment

The following assignment is based on the database environment chosen and discussed in the Week Two Individual Assignment.

Use a Microsoft® Visio® diagram to create a detailed ERD using the data specifications noted in the Week Two Individual Assignment. Make any necessary changes provided in your faculty’s feedback.

Use a Microsoft® Access® database to create the preliminary database tables, columns with data types, primary keys, and relationships.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Can you upload and send me your Week Two Individual Assignment so I can understand what needs to be done on this assignment?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Getty Provenance Institute’s database (The Getty’s research institute, 2012) contains 1.1 million records. All of these records can be used for a wide variety of research. According to the institute the database can be used for assistance in finding information for Projects, and for the Study of Collecting. According to the Database, “The J. Paul Getty Museum acquired The Entombment (ca. 1612) by Peter Paul Rubens in a Christie's sale in 1992. At that time, the provenance of the painting could only be traced as far back as the mid-19th century.

The number 146, located on the face of the painting, appeared to be an inventory number (the Getty Research Institute, 2012). A search in the Provenance Index's Archival Inventories database retrieved a single record in which the artist name (Rubens) and item number (146) matched. The search lead to a 1651 inventory preserved in the Archivo de la Casa de Alba, Palacio de Liria in Madrid, which lists this Rubens painting. Possibly its first owner was Gaspar de Haro y Guzmán Carpio (1629–1687)”. Other Institutions are not as lucky some. Some Museums are not so fortunate to find the item number associated with the picture.

When it is time to introduce the collections into a database, curators of small museums find themselves in a little bit of trouble. The features and capabilities offered by the newer commercial and professional collection systems are more than they will ever need, more than they can support and more than they can afford all together. Their own database management skills may not be up to par to address their problems effectively.

Discussions of databases for small collections barely focus on building data systems. Database management tools that are successful in business may not be successful for a museum. Structures, internal controls, and strategies that are useful for building small systems and entering data, are often ignored at conferences. For a museum to possess an “excellent” Management System they would have to possess a very intricate database.

According to The Archaeological Institute of America (The Archaeological Institute of America, 2012) “Until 2005, the Museum of Anthropology had no registrar or collections manager, and creation of paper and computer database records fell to staff and students when they could spare time from their regular duties. Distractions and inadequate training led to errors and inconsistencies in both physical and digital records. Few objects were photographed.

Due to a history of trying several data-management programs, all developed primarily for business applications and designed in-house, digital records did not have consistent lexicon categorization and some data from physical records were not in the computer catalogue. The museum eventually settled on ACCESS for its digital records, but the database was designed and installed by a person who was not knowledgeable about the program or the museum’s needs. The database was in spreadsheet format, with fields not logically ordered for efficiency of data entry or retrieval. Search, select, sort, and copy manipulations were inefficient and frequently did not function as intended.

The staff attempted to complete and clean up the ACCESS catalogue, but progress was slow and the collections and related research had grown to the extent that the system did not meet data management needs. Finally, we decided that a data-management program designed for museums would bring order and consistency to the management of collections and allow for complete data recording. A consistent and up-to-date catalogue would permit the staff to focus on current registration and cataloguing duties, facilitate access to and use of collections, and reduce staff time, effort, and wear on collections.

Three successive grants from the Institute of Museum and Library Services’ Museums for America program funded the three phases of this digital database project. The purpose of Phase 1 was to create a new computerized database of the Museum of Anthropology’s collections of archaeological and ethnographic objects so that the staff and public could access useful and accurate records of all objects quickly and effectively.

Visual Rediscovery is a relational database that presents basic data in a catalogue card format visible on one screen, facilitating rapid access and retrieval. In addition to Collections Management and Photograph Management modules, a Lexicon module assists with maintaining consistency of field terms so that indexing and retrieval are complete with no items omitted due to improper terminology. We installed the new database and migrated data onto a server at Wake Forest University. A newly hired registrar inputted new records into the database and corrected migrated records. Working with Rediscovery
database records proceeded much more rapidly than anticipated. We were generally pleased with Rediscovery as a database management tool for museum staff use.

We installed a public-access computer terminal with connection to the database in a museum gallery and guided members of the public and Wake Forest University students in the use of the database for research and course support. This aspect of Phase 1 was not a complete success. The public-access version of Rediscovery was inflexible and search results were not visually or intellectually stimulating. In addition, we installed the database on a server
that handled large amounts of data, so searches were extremely slow, severely limiting the appeal for researchers.

In Phase 2 we updated the computerized database and integrated photos of objects so that staff and members of the public were able to access accurate records and images of all objects quickly and effectively though the web, using Visual Rediscovery for Internet software. Included in the public version of the database on the website are a research guide, an online catalogue, K–12 lesson plans, and answers to frequently asked questions?

The overall goal of Phase 3 was to provide broad public access through the web to cataloguing information and digital images for the archival collection. Access to the archival collection through Rediscovery Proficio\ software is meant to enhance classroom teaching and research for faculty and students; support curriculum- based learning by students in primary and secondary schools; facilitate research into the context of traditional material culture by scholars; and permit the general public to learn about traditions and
modernization of peoples throughout the world. Public access is through the museum’s website. Web-use manuals are being written for the museum staff, educators, and the public, and four workshops will instruct primary and secondary school educators in how to use the web archives with their students”. The New database they have for the museum took many hours, but in the long run will make their jobs 100% easier and it’s more rewarding to know where everything was made and the owners of each piece in detail.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but it is still not clear what needs to be done here.

Can you please provide a copy of your Week 2 Assignment as noted on your initial question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is what I had to do for my week two assignment:

Write a 750- to 1,050-word paper in which you complete the following:

• Choose a database environment from the following:

• An appropriate database environment within your workplace (must be approved by your instructor)

• An Art Museum that needs to track the artwork, artists, and locations where the art is displayed or stored within the museum

• Smith Consulting (Virtual Organization) – needs a database to track their consulting staff, each staff member’s skill sets, and what projects they are working on

• Analyze the database environment.

• Describe the problems and constraints.

• Describe the objectives of the database environment.

• Describe the scope and boundaries.

• List the data specifications (must include a minimum of three entities with attributes).

Include 3 to 5 references.

Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.

Note. The database environment chosen will be used in the Weeks Three and Four Individual Assignments.

If you don't like my paper, maybe you can come up with a new idea to help me complete this assignment and also my next assignment.

Thank you very much for your assistances.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
Sure but I would need to look at what you have done first and then I will take it from there.

Also, I will send you the new fair price for this question because this a large project and will require at least half a day to complete.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Carla,

I have sent you everything that I have done. I don't have anything else to provide you. I have no problem with the new fair price, just please help me.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will try to help you but the information you have provided is very limited. It would help a lot if you could provide your previous assignment...

I have already sent you a request to increase the question price to the fair price. Please let me know once you have done that so I can start working on this project.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Carla,

I have already increased the question price. When you first asked me for what I did for this assignment I sent that to you first. It is the first reply that I sent to you. Thanks for your assistance.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
Okay but I have suggested the price to be increased to $60 however the question price is still showing $24.

I can open the question to other Experts if you want to because for me it will be difficult to work on this question for $24.

Let me know what you want me to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I increased the price to $48 because it did not give me an option for $60. If you are not confident in helping me with this question then yes please pass it to someone that will be able to do this for me.

Expert:  Carla replied 1 year ago.
I am more than capable of answering the question but for the price you are offering, it's just not worth for me.

I will open the question to let someone help you.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long should I expect to hear from someone?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're okay with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need this question answered by tomorrow. I really need a lot of help with this assignment. Please help me. I don't want to cancel this question because I will have no other place to ask help from. Please find the right professional to help me. If I need to provide more money, I will!

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. Your question is marked high priority, open to all professionals, and we will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems