Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

Customer Question

We are working at a physics lab and trying to build a detector some elusive particle. The particle cannot be detected directly, but it does interact with some other particles, emitting a photon. Those, we can detect. Before we build the detector, we will simulate the situation to estimate the efficiency of our detector. It depends on the geometry we give it as well as the properties of the material.
As a first attempt, the detector will be a cube housed within another cube, much larger. The photon are emitted, randomly, from inside the larger cube and bounce around (because the walls are reflective at some percentage, say 95%) until they are absorbed by the walls or hit the detector. Here is a crude picture
-------------------- | /| | / | | / | | \ / | |___ \ / | | | \/ | --------------------
To make our life easier, we start by simulating this in 2-d (a square in a square).
The simulation is the following: a photon appears, randomly, at some point and with some direction. If it hits the detector, we count a hit. If not, it will hit a wall. With some probability (say 95% to start), it is reflected (else, it is absorbed). If absorbed, we count a miss. It it is reflected, we pursue its trajectory. Again, either it hits the detector or a wall, etc…
We repeat this for multiple photons and the ratio of hits on the total hits plus misses gives us a measure of efficiency of our detector.
Clearly this efficiency depends on the reflectivity of the walls and on the geometry of the detector setup.
I suggest that you do this in groups of two: one is responsible for the generation of the particles and calculations; the other is responsible for drawing the experiment, showing each particle appearing, moving about the cube and either being absorbed by the wall or the detector. If you insist on doing this alone, you do not have to do the drawing.
Start with a cube in a cube, then maybe a sphere within a cube. Once you feel confident about this 2-d simulation, you may want to simulate in 3-d. But beware, the geometry calculations will be much harder. This project is rather open-ended. Feel free to take it wherever you want. I will grade on the following:
There must be at least 10 different functions.
There must be at least 100 lines of code.
No function is larger than 15 lines.
The problem must be well decomposed.
Each function (except the drawing functions, if course) must have test cases.
You should make good use of the python libraries.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The project was due at midnight. At this point if you do not have an answer handy just cancel my request. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Josie,

I do not know If you got my message, however the project was due at midnight, so at this point just cancel my order.

Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Greg.
The moderator let me know that you might be needing assistance but I see that it might be past your deadline.
I am sorry that we were unable to help on this prompt. Many experts have reviewed your question so far, but no one at this time has felt comfortable trying to help. The question may be just to difficult or not informative enough or priced to low.
You are a valued customer and I hope you will consider us for your future needs.