R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Experience:  B.Tech

Extremely new to VBA. I have a Workbook with four worksheets

Customer Question

Attachment: 2013-04-25_004326_copy_of_excel_compare_test.xls

Attachment: 2013-04-25_004348_copy_of_required_fields_test.xls

I am extremely new to VBA. I have a Workbook with four worksheets in it. The header row on each is numbers. I need to compare the header row on each worksheet against column A in whichever other Workbook I open and hi-light the matching fields in yellow. I have started the macro by coding it to ask for and open the corresponding workbook with the required fields in it. Please note that the required fields file will be a different one each time, as each time I use the Compare Test file, I am using for different clients with different required fields. I was also asked to add a row at the top of the file to include number of blank fields in each required field column. I would be able to attach the test files for your reference. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I am willing to wait for an answer. The question should have been listed under computer instead of homework.

Thank you.

Thank you for your continued patience. All academic questions, including those involving programming or computer work, are placed iin the homework categories where there are many computer and programming professionals. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much.

Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 11 months ago.

I'd be glad to help. Just a few questions

Required field file would be different for each client. But can I assume you would be using same compare test file for all clients?

Are number of blanks to be shown in required field file? And does blank refer to an intermediate blank cell in column A? Like if row 4 col A, which holds '7' were empty, count would be 1 blank?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much for your response. In reality, both files are different for each client. When I extract the data from the database, I need to format the file to match up with the numbered headers. I insert a blank column at the beginning of sheet 1, copy the new columns A and B, and paste them over columns A and B in spreadsheets 2, 3, and 4. Then I insert the numbered header exactly as shown in the Compare test file. I have recorded a very simple Macro that does this for me, but need the additional data to complete the formatting.

As for the number of blanks, I need an additional row added at the top of the compare test file to show the number of blanks that correspond to the hi-lighted required fields. Number of rows of data will change, but should be compared by column B of sheet 1, as this will always be completed for each row of data.

Could you please send another compare test file with examples of number of blanks as you wish to have?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.

Sorry, didn't receive the file. Please attach it the same way you attached two files in your first post.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

For some reason I keep recieving an error message when trying to reply with the new file attached.

I need a row above the header row that will designate the count blanks. In some cases this workbook will only contain 1 or 2 rows of data below the header rows, but it could be thousands. I need the countblanks to refer to column B on sheet 1 for the number of rows of data. Please let me know if you need anything further, as I need this completed as soon as possible. I need to work with it early next week.

Thank you.

Ok.

Please upload the compare file, having count blanks examples, at wikisend.com or mediafire.com, then post its download link or id here. Just to make sure I'm getting it right.

Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I have included the links below. Please let me know if you need anything further.

http://wikisend.com/download/300000/Excel

Excel Compare Test Updated.xlsx

Received the file. Could you please explain how you've calculated first few blanks - 25, 0, 9, 3?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, I did not calculate, but added a row with numbers as an example. As I mentioned previously, the number of rows of data will be dynamic. I need the calculation to look at column B in sheet 1 to determine the number of rows of data.

Thank you.

Ok, I'll send the code within a couple of hours.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much for all of your assistance.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Experience: B.Tech
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so very much. I will test the Macro and let you know if I have any issues.

Sure. And please leave a rating for the answer.

Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Everything with the macro has worked perfectly. Your service has been excellent, and my rating for you reflects this. I can't thank you enough for your assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The code you provided is great, but I was just asked to see if I could get the countblank to update the number of blanks as we fill in the required data in the blanks in those columns. Please let me know if you need me to start a new question with another deposit.

Thank you.

Ok, I'd do that. I'd work it out and get back to you. As it's related to previous question, I can post the answer here. Just rate that new answer and you'd pay the same amount as last time.

Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Excellent! Thank you very much. I will do that.

You're welcome!