Alex
Alex, Engineer
Experience:  BS in Business Administration with a major in MIS. 15+ years experience in software design and development.
50749495

Unionization has been on a relatively slow yet study decline.

Unionization has been on a relatively slow yet study decline. Given the change in the workforce dynamics, speculate what segment(s) or types of employees would likely gravitate toward unionization in the current market. Scale the top three reasons for this. Discuss what this means to you as an organizational leader and what you would do with this information.

Debate whether the decline in union membership directly correlates with improving employer-employee relationships. Provide two examples to illustrate your position.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.

Alex :

Hi, what's the required word count and due date?

Customer:

250....asap

Alex :

No problem. 5-10 minutes.

Customer:

great...thank you

Alex :

326 words. Please be sure and rate my answer if satisfied. Here it is:

Alex :

Given that unions are in decline in the areas of manufacturing there is still room for unionization in some locations such as Walmart and other service-oriented jobs that for many years have been able to avoid becoming unionized. While there are some locations that have unionized employees at the retail level they are still considered rare. The three primary reasons that employees in these areas would likely unionize is because of a lack of benefits which would specifically include healthcare, low or perceived low wages and an overall distrust of the employer. Each of these plays a role in the potential for employees to unionize but healthcare and benefits are the primary driver. Complicating the issue is Obamacare and the requirement that everyone have insurance. For this reason companies are reducing hours for employees to less than 30 hours a week to avoid the cost of providing healthcare as it would substantially impact their cost of doing business. To that end employees would like to unionize to demand such benefits be provided and that they be guaranteed a certain number of hours per week. Low or perceived low wages will always be a driving factor in unionization. However, retail giants like Walmart have fought unionization as it will simply increase their overall cost structure and therefore require them to increase their prices which would likely hurt sales. As an organizational leader I would look for ways to ensure that employees are happy without having a union. A decline in union membership certainly indicates that employer employee relationships are better as there is now public pressure on companies and enough competition such that employers want to provide the benefits and compensation that people want in their career. If there was still an issue with employees not being protected by the courts or by any other means union membership would still be on the rise. In today's economy with competition among employers the need for unions is disappearing.

Alex :

Thanks, Alex

Customer:

Thank you :-)

Alex :

No problem. Anytime.

Alex :

You can always request me here in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/homework/expert-alex

Customer:

will do :-)

Alex :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to rate my answer, I'm going to step away unless there's anything else I can help with.

Customer:

doing so now

Alex :

Thanks!

Alex, Engineer
Experience: BS in Business Administration with a major in MIS. 15+ years experience in software design and development.