Alex
Alex, Engineer
Experience:  BS in Business Administration with a major in MIS. 15+ years experience in software design and development.
50749495

One of Thoreaus goals for going to live in the wilderness

One of Thoreau's goals for going to live in the wilderness was to simplify his life. Thoreau argued that, " the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run." Thoreau considered "clutter" to be an obstacle to simplicity. Explain how you would simplify your own life, giving consideration to Thoreau's meaning of "clutter." Is simplification just a matter of renouncing possessions, or is it something more?

Alex :

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. Could you provide me with the required word count and due date?

Alex :

Thanks, Alex

Customer:

The due date is Thursday April 18th at 7pm and the word count is 250

Customer:

approximately 250.

Alex :

Sure, will have it for you in about 30 minutes or less.

Customer:

Thank you.

Alex :

Ok, I will post your answer below. It is 100% original and is 333 words.

Alex :

Please remember to rate my answer if satisfied as I am only compensated for my time when you do so. I'll stand by to ensure you are completely satisifed.

Alex :

To correctly interpret what Thoreau was talking about in terms of his mantra of “simplicity, simplicity, simplicity” one must look at the world as it existed in Thoreau's time and compare that to today. In the mid 1800s people had a much lower standard of living and simplifying in that time meant literally being able to pick up everything you need to survive and take it with you at a moment's notice. As the standard of living has increased dramatically the ability to simplify has become much more difficult. Given that most people now have a home, a car or cars and a myriad of “stuff” being able to separate oneself from such things becomes difficult. One of the key aspects to think about in simplifying my own life is that he did say that we should be able to do without not that we had to always do without. In that scenario I think life would be much simpler without electronic devices that now constantly grab our attention waiting for a response to an email, text, call or even a message posted on a social media site. To de-clutter my life an approach of simply avoiding my phone for a period of a few hours will allow me to relax and think without interruption. In today's society that is driven by the need to constantly be engaged I think simplicity can best be defined by time away from our electronic devices for a short period of time. Given that we have become so dependent we consider items like a smartphone to be a necessity and not a want. We take that a step further to not being able to function without such devices. If Thoreau were alive today he would have a difficult time simplifying his life just as people did in the mid 1800s. What clutters our lives have changed but the need to de-clutter or temporarily de-clutter is crucial to our sanity as human beings who can function in society.

Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future. You can request me directly anytime via this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/homework/expert-alex

You can also ask me additional questions from your MyQuestions page.

Thanks
Alex