David L.
David L., Engineer
Experience:  20 years experience writing white papers, tech publications
13852270

Subnetting. Need it tonight please.

Customer Question

Pick two network address from the list below. Everybody must pick a unique network address and number of subnet. Please reply to this conference with your selection. Don’t select a network address that somebody else already selected. For each of them, I need the following information: The new subnet mask after the subnetting The following information for the first FOUR subnets: Subnet’s network address Subnet’s broadcast address Subnet’s range of available IP addresses The complete calculations on how you get to the answers. This is very important!! Your goal is to subnet them with as little subnet as possible but still meeting the requirement. In other word, maximize the number of hosts that is available for each subnet. These are the two I need help with. 1. Subnet 155.4.0.0/16 into 34 subnets 2. Subnet 50.0.0.0/8 into 210 subnets

Need it tonight please!

Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX like to wait but I do have a deadline to meet as well and will appreciate if you could find someone before it reaches.

Thanks

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  David L. replied 1 year ago.

My name is David.

Please click the link below to download the report:

click here

Thanks.
David L., Engineer
Experience: 20 years experience writing white papers, tech publications
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, Can you please include the calculations as to how you arrived at the subnetting address net work address, subnet broadcast address and subnet's range of available IP addresses.

Thankyou

Expert:  David L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will add them and repost it. Is there any particular method you wish me to use (since there is more than one way to do this)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, there is no particular method. Any method you use is fine, I just need the calculations included as a reference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Than you

Expert:  David L. replied 1 year ago.

Please click the link below to download the modified document:

click here

David.

Expert:  David L. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David I was hoping you show the calculations in figures instead of words. I attached this example for you to see.

I convert 199.0.0.0 into binary numbers:

199 . 0 . 0 . 0 11000111 . 00000000 . 00000000 . 00000000

Next, the "/8" at the end of the network means that the subnet mask consists of eight 1's followed by 0's. We know that subnet mask is 32 bits long, so there are eight 1's and twenty-four 0's:

11111111 . 00000000 . 00000000 . 00000000

Now, line up both binary numbers:

11000111 . 00000000 . 00000000 . 00000000 11111111 . 00000000 . 00000000 . 00000000

The part of the IP address where the subnet mask is 1 are called the "network" bits and the other is called the "host" bits.

To subnet a network means that we are going to "borrow" some bits from the "host" bits and use it as a "network" bits.

To calculate how many bits we need to "borrow", we need to find "which power of 2 is at least equal to or greater to the number of subnet needed".

Since we need to have 100 subnets, 2 to the power of 7 will fit our needs (2^7 = 128 and 128 is the smallest power of 2 that is greater than the number of our subnets).

So, we need to borrow 7 bits from the host bits and use it as network bits.

now we have the following:

11000111 . 00000000 . 00000000 . 00000000 -> IP Address 11111111 . 11111110 . 00000000 . 00000000 -> New Subnet Mask.

Note that the seven 0's are now converted into 1's.

So, to answer the first question.. what is the new subnet mask, we just convert the subnet mask from binary back to decimal number:

11111111 . 11111110 . 00000000 . 00000000

255 . 254 . 0 . 0

255.254.0.0

Now, for the first four subnets, we need to find the network address, broadcast address, and range of available IP addressed.

Back to

We know that the first 8 bits are the "network" bits, and the last 17 bits are the "host" bits. The 7 bits that we borrowed from the "host" bits and now used as part of the new "network" bits are called "subnet" bits.

Each of the 100 subnets that we will now have, we have a unique "subnet" bits assigned to them.. The easiest way is to just assign them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ... and so on.

So, the first subnet, will have the subnet bits that is equal to 1. Now, remember, this "1" is in decimal notation and will need to be converted into a 7 bits binary format: 0000001

So, for the first subnet, the first 15 bits will look like this:

11000111 . 0000001_ . ________ . ________

Now, some new rules.. - Network Address is one where the "host" bits are all 0's - Broadcast Address is one where the "host" bits are all 1's - The range of available IP addresses are the IP addresses between the two numbers above

So, the network address for the first subnet is:

11000111 . 00000010 . 00000000 . 00000000 or 199.2.0.0

and the broadcast address is:

11000111 . 00000011 . 11111111 . 11111111 or 199.3.255.255

So, if the network address is 199.2.0.0 and broadcast address is 199.3.255.255, then the available IP addresses must be: 199.2.0.1 until 199.3.255.254.

Now, repeat this for the other three subnet by specifying 2, 3, and 4 for the "subnet" bits, then report back what the network address, broadcast address, and range of available IP addresses for each of the three subnets.

Expert:  David L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok then I will add some more numbers to the explanation of the work and will then post momentarily.

David.
Expert:  David L. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Daivid. I need your help with a question and will like to ask how can I add it as an attachment and send it to you.
Please let me know when you get this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello David,I don't know if you got my last message but I have a question that I need help with and was wondering if you are online to look at it for me. It is too large to add here, so if you can please send me a way I could

Expert:  David L. replied 1 year ago.

Post another question and request me and in that question click the hyperlink (looks like a chain) icon in the toolbar above the text box where you type response messages. Then click the red and blue box to browse for and select the file and click Ok and Insert to upload the file.

If that does not work then click the link below and upload the document to Wikisend then post the download link here so I can download it.

Thanks,

David.