Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.
29937297

Astronomy100 Homework Question for Ray Atkinson. First I

Astronomy100 Homework Question for Ray Atkinson.

First I want to say thank you for your help last week I got a 100! Thank you!!!

My homework for this week has 2 parts A & B, however there are 2 parts to B.

A. Observations
A simple object in your own house can break apart light into different colors. Every notice how a CD seems to create rainbows? The surface of the CD has many fine grooves, which acts as a spectrograph when light reflects off of it. In a darkened room, turn on a single light bulb. Look at the rainbow that it produces. Try this with other kinds of lights, including LEDs and outdoor lighting. For each kind of light, describe the type of light, and the spectrum. Check out Figure 1 as an example. Is it continuous, or just a few colors? Which colors? Do not use your CD to look at the spectrum of the sun -- you could hurt yourself. (A DVD works reasonably well for this, but a Blu-ray disk doesn’t work at all well.)

B. Quantitative reasoning
a. How much energy is produced when the sun converts 1 kg of hydrogen into helium? If the average household uses 1400 kW-hr per month, how long would the conversion of 1 kg of hydrogen to helium power an average household?
b. If you are cruising down the road at 50 mph and a policeman with a radar gun (wavelength 1 cm) reflects radar light off your bumper, what wavelength of radar light does he get back? Assume the policeman is stationary, and you are moving towards him. Light that gets reflected has twice as much shift as light that is just emitted, so use the formula for the shift of emitted light but multiply by two. (Hint: convert mph to m/s.)
I have the first two done. I was surprised by the answer to Ba.
Bb is going to take me a little longer as I have not done a problem like that before, so I need to learn how. I have a formula for it, but I am not sure if it is sufficient for this problem.
L = L0 (1-v/c)/(√(1-v²/c²))
Do you have a formula for the "shift of emitted light?"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ray,

Sorry for the late response. I just looked in my book for the formula, but I dont see anything on emitted light. :(

All right. I think I have a better formula, so let me work on it.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.