TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems

Background

Background

The British Insurance Company (BIC), is based in Coventry, and was originally setup
in 2002 by David and Ellen Stewart, who had just completed their undergraduate
degrees.
The company has expanded recently and is currently servicing 4 main areas of the
UK; these are shown as regions below.
A new information system is envisaged that would capture all of the current
information and also provide for any future additions that the system might require.
BIC are offering a range of products Travel insurance, Life Insurance, Motor
Insurance along with other types. These are sold to clients by an insurance advisor.

Further Information

The 4 Regions of the UK are indicated below with the number of advisors that are
dedicated to that area:

Region                                            Advisors
The South-East                                4
The South-West                               2
The Midlands                                    3
The North                                         3

All of the Insurance Products offered by BIC are sourced (from major Insurance
providers) by the Main Office, who then let the Insurance Advisors know which
products can be sold on to their Customers, and these advisors also provide a range
of Brochures (which describe the products) and Forms (to be completed and signed
by the Customers).
There needs to be a HR component of the system would need to record all of the
current employees of the company, along with the directors of the company. This
would typically contain personal details of the employees (e.g. name, telephone,
address, etc).
It is the job of the Insurance Advisors to visit Customers in their homes in order to
ascertain their insurance requirements, and to help them fill in the Insurance Forms
(some of which are quite complex) that must be completed in order to provide an
accurate Insurance Quotation.
New Customers or Existing Customers: Typically will contact one of the
Insurance Advisors for the Region, in which they live, this is to arrange such a
visit when they need advice on other insurance products.
Each contact with a new or existing customer needs to be recorded into the system,
especially details such as whether a follow-up is needed, or whether to send more
information, along with information like time, date etc.

First thing every morning, each Insurance Advisor sends any Insurance Forms that
they helped their Customers to complete the previous day back to the Head Office in
Coventry.

BIC deal with a wide variety of Insurance providers, and will 'web search' on behalf of their Customers in order to find the best deal on offer. Once an Insurance
Quotation has been calculated it is sent by email directly to the Customer.
Upon receipt of an Insurance Quotation, the Customer must then decide if they wish
to go ahead with the insurance, in which case they must electronically sign an
Acceptance Form and send this, together with their banking details for the full amount of the premium back to BIC's head office. If they do not want to go ahead,
then they simply do nothing.
Upon receipt of a signed Acceptance Form, and accompanying payment, the
Insurance Clerks send out the relevant Insurance Certificate to the Customer.

Problems?

BIC are having particular problems with the following areas of their business activity:
* Standardising their forms and reports that the advisors use and relaying that
information back to the Head Office
* Reports at head office need to be generated on a monthly, 6 monthly and
yearly basis to assess the success of the advisors, also how well each of the
regions are performing.
* Understand how well the products are performing in relevant regions. So
better decisions can be made in regard to adopting new products and
presenting these to customers.
* Building up their customer base and accurately recording all the details
concerning the customer, the products they have and any other contact
information.
* Supporting new and existing customers with information to help them decide
on the right type of insurance to match their requirements.

The Company directors have requested that the new database be able to carry out
the following transactions:

a. Enter the details of a new customer.
b. Enter the details of a new product.
c. Enter the details insurance quotations sent to customers.
d. Enter quotations made by advisors.
e. Record valuable 'web search' details of products that have come on the market

Along with any other features which you deem necessary

Task 1

Business Case

Task 1A. Discuss why a relational database would be suitable for this organisation
and provide (3) three reasons for this recommendation (300 words).

Task 1B. Discuss using (3) three advantages that a database management system
provides to an organisation (300 words).

Requirements Definition

Read the case study carefully, and decide what are the important (key) features of
the system. Construct a basic prototype that will display the following:

Task 1C. Initial screen designs that can be shown to the client this allows for the
input of information to satisfy the user requirements. Submit a hardcopy that has a
set of screen shots that illustrate the screen designs.

Task 1D. List typical reports that would be likely features of the database this
requires you to assume the role of the user/manager and list three (3) likely reports
he/she might need to do their job. Submit a hardcopy which shows the report, its
main features, and then populate it with some likely test data. Submit a hardcopy
that has a set of screen shots that illustrate the screen designs.

Note:
A suitable package to do the above task (A to D) would be Microsoft Word or any
similar product.

Task 2

Development

Use database development strategy to decide the main elements of the database
this will include nominating the:
Fields (also the primary keys and foreign keys)
Tables

Task 2A.

Create a Data Dictionary which contains the following: table, field type,
field size and field description

Note:
A suitable package to do Task 2B would be Microsoft Word or any similar product.

Database Design

Develop an initial prototype of this case study system, therefore in your design phase
you and your team should create the following appropriate diagrams. Use the mysql
Workbench (or equivalent tool set) to create the following:

Task 2B. An Entity - Relationship diagram.

Task 2C. Normalised Schema normalise to 3rd normal form. Provide a discussion
that shows how you schema passes each of the normal forms.

Note:
A suitable package to do Task 2B would be EDraw, Microsoft Visio or any similar
product.

Task 3

Implementation of a Relational Database

Task 3A. Use the final normalised ER Diagram to create the physical database.
Use mysql server, Oracle Express or an equivalent relational database to create the
system. Provide a screen shot of the final system that displays the entire set of
tables.

Populate the Database

Task 3B. Enter six (6) records into the system that you can use to display to the
client that the system can operate. Provide screenshots of the final system that
displays (3) three of the tables with the mock data inserted.

User Help Guide

Task 3C. In order to complete the assignment, you need to provide a user manual
that will describe how to use the system. Screenshots of the main menu and
navigation between the sub-menus along with accurate descriptions is an important
feature of this section of the assignment.

Note: You may use previous screenshots (forms, reports and data screens) to create
this manual.

Improvement

Task 3D. Provide a lessons learned log that indicates what you found important
and any improvements you wish to make for the next version of the database.

Note:
A suitable package to do Task 3A, Task 3B would be mysql server or any similar
product.
A suitable package to do Task 3C, Task 3D would be Microsoft Word or any similar
product.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have set a new price to $200 being the maximum allowed price to set. Let me know if there's anything you need me to do. Thanks.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I would very much like you to continue searching for a Professional to help with my assignment. Please can you tell me how long this will take because I have a close deadline for the submission of this assignment.

Hello. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee or predict response time as it varies based on topic, question volume and other factors. We appreciate your patience while we search for a professional to assist you. We have marked your question high priority and you will receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.

Best,

Angela
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Angela,

Thanks. I will await your response.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

By when is this required?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response. I would need the answers latest by Tuesday next week, I hope that gives you enough time.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

Yes, that will be enough time. I will contact you once this is complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. I will contact you once this is complete.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi The Doctor,

Thank you very much for a job well done. I'm wondering if you can be my online tutor -

Courses : Databases, Programming

Please reply asap.

Thanks.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

I am very happy that you like the work that was completed.

JustAnswer is a Question and Answer site. As a professional, I can offer my expertise to you as needed, but it would still be in the Question and Answer format. You would enter a new question, explaining exactly what you need at that time, and I would do my best to assist you.

If you ever wish to ask me anything directly, you can do so by starting your questions with **For TheDoctor**. It would be my pleasure to assist you in your courses.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi TheDoctor,

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi The Doctor,

Can you recommend books or websites that can help me gain more knowledge in Relational Database?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend a good course in relational databases. I do not have a list of books or web sites. I learned through college, graduate school, and then years of professional experience. I learned the most through professional experience.

There are good reference points for SQL. For instance, the W3C has an SQL tutorial at http://www.w3schools.com/sql/

That will help you learn SQL, but not necessary the concept of relational databases and normal form. The key to being good with relational databases is to be able to create databases quickly that abide by the concepts of normal form. So you really want to know, understand, and value those concepts. That includes the different levels of normal form and referential integrity.

Without a deep understanding of these basic foundational concepts, knowing SQL is useless. You will end up using SQL to create horrible databases.

These concepts really fit into the realm of "database design".

Here is one book that you might find helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi The Doctor,

Thank you very much. I really appreciate.