TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems
59032869

By Tuesday, March 26, 2013, read the project activity for this

By Tuesday, March 26, 2013, read the project activity for this week and perform the following activities:
• Create a Web page for account creation and store the information about the created account in the corresponding table in the MySQL database. Store the logon name in a cookie to support the automatic logon process.
• Create a Web page for logging on. Validate the account name and password XXXXX on this page against the information stored in the MySQL database. If the logon information is valid, create a session for the user, and store all state information corresponding to the account in session variables and log on the user.
Note: Send logon and account registration information to the Web server in a secure way.
• Provide access to the user to specific Web pages depending on the account type of the user as specified in Week 1.
By Thursday, March 28, 2013, complete the activities for Week 4 and submit the solution as a zip file and a report, which explains the solution in an MS Word document, to this Discussion Area.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria and Respective Point Value Maximum
Points
Created the account registration Web page. 40
Created the PHP module for storing the new account information in the database and integrated both using Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004. 40
Created the logon page, which will allow a user with a valid user ID and password XXXXX log on. 25
Specified access as per project requirement. 15
Total: 120

I have the site done. And DB done. Having trouble getting everything to work. Is this possible???
Category: Homework
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! Thank you for requesting me.

Send me the files that you have so that I can take a look. You will also want to send me your database. You can do this with by exporting the database in phpMyAdmin.

Zip up everything and then upload the zip file to http://ge.tt

Once uploaded, you will be given a link on the right. Click on the 'Copy Link' option and then paste it here.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Can we also make the password XXXXX the form, encrypt into the database. ok it is Final Project 2.zip.

http://www.ge.tt/6DniT9c/v/0?c

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

Sure. I will contact you once this is complete.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I wish you could teach me it....lol. I have been trying so hard to learn this and get it to work. Looking at your work helps. Let me know how close I was..

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yeah it is under customer form page.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will contact you once everything is fixed.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

The instructions state:

account type of the user as specified in Week 1

What are these types supposed to be? Currently, there is no functionality to support different types, and I don't know to what that refers.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vendor, customer, and distributor.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is due wed. I am going to bed. Take your time. Tomorrow is fine.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!

You can download the completed project here:

You will find a database.sql file in the zip. I had to change your database to meet the requirements. You will want to recreate the database with:

DROP SCHEMA customers;

CREATE DATABASE customers;

USE customers;

Then paste run the code from database.sql

Now that your database is recreated, the new functionality will work.

As per the requirements, you can sign up for any of the three account types. When you sign up for an account, a cookie is set. If you then click on "Login", you are automatically logged in.

The site relies on a session variable and each account type has access to specific pages. If you attempt to access pages without being logged into the correct account type, you will be thrown back to the index page.

I altered almost every file that is currently in use.

As a side note, I do not know if your course endorses the use of third-party WYSIWYG web site editors. But it is appears that you have used one. Or if you received this code form your insturctor, then he used one. 

Many of the items used in the HTML are no longer in use in the real world. Some are highly discouraged, others are unacceptable in modern development. For instance, the font tag is no longer used. It hasn't been used in web development for quite some time. Also, using absolute position for everything in a web page is considered bad form to put it mildly.

The most elegant and extravagent web page layouts can be achieved with some simple CSS and just a few lines of HTML. In this case, the Index page is currently 160 lines long. Written with modern techniques, with the layout entirely controlled by CSS, this would less than 50 liens of HTML.

If you have an interest in doing this type of work after school, I would recommend (to any student) reading up on CSS/CSS3 as much as possible and practicing with it and playing around with it. The W3C offers a great tutorial here.

As you go through each item on the left, you will see "Try It Yourself" buttons that allow you to play with and modify the code so that you become comfortable with it.

In any case, let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help.

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am I doing those commands in SQL command line or phpadmin? I am a bit confused. Where is the index.html? I extracted the 2013-03-26_052246_done.zip file into c:\Wamp\W4A2 folder.

Also what web builder do you recommend to use?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

The index.html is now index.php. Your project requires that a session be maintained and that menu items are dynamic based on log in status. So the index needs to be a php file. Web sites will open an index.php file just like they open an index.html file.

Yes, all of the SQL can be run in phpMyAdmin.

I do not recommend a web builder. I have worked with countless professional web developers and not a single one uses a web builder. Web builders always write extremely slopping, non-standard code. HTML should be written by hand. Once and individual is fully comfortable with HTML and CSS they can write a full HTML page extremely quickly.

No, that doesn't mean you have to use Notepad. The advantage of and integrated development environment (IDE) is that it provides code hinting and highlighting. It makes coding much easier and faster. Among web designers, the most popular is Adobe Dreamweaver. This tool also provides a WYSIWYG (Graphical) design interface, but it should be avoided. Dreamweaver will never write code that would pass W3C validation.

Web developers, on the other hand, prefer other tools. The most popular is Eclipse with the PHP plugin. My favorite is Aptana Studio, which is based on eclipse and comes pre-configured for PHP.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I get back to my pc tonight or tomorrow. I will see what I can do about getting the project working. Thanks for the advice. You truly are a doctor of programming... I am going to take your advice and learn from w3 tutorials.

Is there am easy way to import the SQL file into phpadmin?

I will rate you soon as I get everything working.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
I assure you that the project works 100%. I worked on it for over 4 hours, as it did not have any functionality for signing up for the different account types, signing in, maintaining a session, etc.

Go to phpMyAdmin. Click on "SQL" in the top menu bar.

Type in each of the three commands I provided, one at a time, and run each. Then you can do either:

Open the database.sql file in notepad/wordpad and copy all of the content and past them into your SQL window and run it.

Or:

Click on the "Import" option in the top menu bar. The page should say "Importing into the database "customers""

Click browse and select the database.sql file that I provided for you. Then click "Go". It will run all of the queries for you.

In the database, there is already data for a few different customer logins. You will not be able to read the actual passwords to log in because the are hashed. They will look like a large series of letters and numbers. The password XXXXX XXXXX the same as the username.

Thank you again
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

Let me know if you have any additional issues getting your copy set up to work correctly. If you receive any errors or run into any problems, you can send me either the text from the error or a screenshot; I will gladly talk you through the issue.

Additionally, if you have any future assignments for web development/database integration, or Java, please feel free to contact me directly by starting your questions with **For TheDoctor**.

If you request me with enough time in advance, I can show you how to create pages with 100% CSS layout, and provide detailed comments to help you learn. I know that this assignment is due soon, so there is little time to engage in that level of detail. But I would be happy to do so for future assignments.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just got home. I will rate and get the project to run. Then contact you with any questions. Thank you
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I got the registration form. The rest of my site is gone. The inventory pages are gone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm. Once I create the account. I can not log in with it. It just goes back to register account or login page...

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
It all functions. The requirements are that certain pages are available only to certain login types. So inventory is available to only a certain type, etc. etc.

Register a brand new account with a completely unique user name. Then Click on Login. Notice how you are taken to a welcome page and there is no longer a Login option. There is now a logout option. The requirement is that after registration, there is an autologin capability.

So go to register. Put in unique information (a user name you have not used before AT ALL). Then, after submitting the form, click on the "Login" link. You will automatically be taken to a welcome page (unless you are running an internet security software that blocks certain cookies). Then you will taken to the login page. Login correctly and you will be taken to the welcome page. Login incorrectly, and it will say "Incorrect Login" on he login page.

When you log in, each login type has access to different pages, because that was part of the assignment requirements.

I tested this exactly functionality a dozen different times. If you are still having issues, then you will need to zip up all of your current files and export your database and send everything to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok as soon as I get home from work. I typed in three different unique ones. Same problem. I will take a screen shot
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Then either your database is not set up correctly or you did not update the connection string to the database within the files correctly.

A screenshot of one of the pages that I created is not going to be helpful. I need you to dump your database as it is currently implemented. So, create the export file from phpmyadmin and then send me that file. Please make sure that you make and send a brand new export file from the implemented database.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I was updating the database. It kept saying "form not named" or something like that. I will try to recreate it and send it to you
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

The issue when assisting individuals with items like these is that it relies very heavily on their implementing everything exactly correctly. Development is not very lenient when it comes to anything that is slightly out of place. It sounds like our database is not set up correctly, which would cause you to not be able to register or log in successfully. It also sounds like your copy of PHP does not have error reporting turned on. (Your PHP is in production mode instead of Development Mode).

It would probably be easiest if I could actually see your environment. We could set up a screen-sharing session where I could view your set up and ensure things are correct, if would like. If so, please let me know at what time you will be available (EDT).

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Around 330 or 345 pm eastern time.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Alright. I will be available at that time.

Here is what you will do when you are ready:

In your browser go to join.me

Click on the big orange play button to share your screen. You will be prompted to download/install and/or allow an application to run. You want to allow everything. Do not block anything.

Once it is running, you will have a little control panel at the top of your screen. Click on the join.me link and select "Copy to Clipboard"

Then you will come into this thread and paste the link here for me.

I will log on to the session and let you know that it is TheDoctor.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I have dual screens. Is that going to mess you up
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
I am not certain how join.me will handle that. My educated guess is that only your main screen will be shared. So if we keep everything on the main screen (Browser windows, phpmyadmin, etc.) I am thinking we should be alright. If not, we can always try again with one screen. Usually Function-F8 will switch your computer from multiple to single screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!

That remote session went very well. Just to recap what was done: We found a couple errors in the code that needed correcting and were able to correct them.

Additionally, we added the username to the welcome page and added the inventory page to the customer view of the site.

If you need anything else, please feel free to request me by starting your questions with **For TheDoctor**. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you dough or everything. Can we request tutor sessions on here.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

Yes, you can request to have a JustAnswer professional tutor you. You would simply ask a question just like you always would. Then the professional will work with you until you are satisfied. It works just like any other question.

Thank you again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is hard. Looking through your code I can not find where the form is. I want to make an inventory page that shows the fake companies inventory. Would this be a form link to a database or an excel sheet?
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
It would link to a database, but I don't think you would want a form. A form is to obtain user input. If you just want to display the inventory data, you would use a table.

The actual form that I created for you is in account_creation.php

But again, I don't think you want a form. You probably want to loop through the results from the database and create table rows for each item in the inventory database and table.

If you have too much difficulty, you can always send it over to me. Simply start a new question here and start it with **For TheDoctor**.

If you do get to the point of asking me to work on the inventory part, make sure that you send met he inventory database.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is your function.php just for the customer database?
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That is the only database that I had access to in the request you made and per the requirements in this question.

You could certainly add to it in order to support other databases.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor. You would be so proud. I got it to display the inventory table. Now I have to make a form to insert the data into the table. Thanks. You rock
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
That's excellent! You also rock.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to ask another question, but it keeps going to another person. And why is so much more money now? A hundred dollars????

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
The other individual that is shown when entering a question is just for show. You are not actually being assigned to anyone.

You can ask me a question by going here and starting your question with **For TheDoctor**

I have absolutely nothing to do with the prices that JustAnswer sets and never interact with that part of the site. I know that there are different options that increase or decrease price. But I can provide no assistance or insight about it. You would need to speak with customer service:

support@justanswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I can do the free trial.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Subscription questions are not permitted in the Homework category.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I contact customer service.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
You can email support@justanswer.com or call 1.888.862.9212
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I got a question coming for u. No rush due Thursday.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
I'll be waiting.