Owen
Owen, Attending Physician
Experience:  I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor
18703594

I have had my DNA tested and the results were 1 Match out of

I have had my DNA tested and the results were 1 Match out of 138 people in the DNA Family Tree database. The match was with Israel and the percentage was 0.7%. What does this mean because it is the highest percentage of all of the other matches for countries under Ancestor Origins.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Owen replied 1 year ago.

Owen :

Hi -

Owen :

Why did you have your DNA tested?

Owen :

What do you mean by 'Israel' - do you mean Israeli's?

Customer:

Everyone is doing it these days...so I decided to also.

Customer:

Yes

Owen :

okay - I see - were you given any more information than just 1:138?

Owen :

or just the 0.7%?

Customer:

Both

Owen :

Were you trying to match with a certain population in the world?

Customer:

Yes

Owen :

okay -

Owen :

Well what this means that your DNA is similar to about 1% of the Israel population.

Owen :

because 0.7% is about 1%

Customer:

That mean that I really do not have jewish blood in me?

Owen :

Now all this means that 1% of your DNA is associated with Israelis, but you might also find that you might have other nationalities in your ethic background such as German, English, Italian or others

Customer:

Yes those were also listed, but at .01%

Owen :

Well you have only about 1% Jewish blood - and that is probably very similar to many people in the US that have some sort of ties to Israel

Customer:

sorry I mean 0.1%

Owen :

okay - 0.1% means 1 in 1000 - so that is a low percentage

Customer:

I have 0.7% with 1 match in Israel out of 138 people in the Family Tree DNA database under the first 1-25 Markers and all other countries are at 0.1%...Please state again so I can understand a little more-thanks.

Owen :

I see

Owen :

Well you have about 1% of your DNA associated with other Israels,

Owen :

and the 0.1% means that you have a 1 in 1000 chance of having DNA associated with other backgrounds such as German, Austrian, Italian, English, etc.

Owen :

I hope that helps

Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Owen :

I am here to help you

Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Owen :

thank you

Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Owen :

I am still here to help you

Owen :

Thank you

Owen, Attending Physician
Experience: I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor