Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.
29937297

Match the following terms with the appropriate definition.

Definitions and Examples:

A
The Straw Man

Definition – Producing an argument about a weaker representation of the truth and attacking it.

Example: The government does not take care of the poor because it does not have a tax specifically to support the poor.

Example: We know that evolution is false because we did not evolve from monkeys.

B
Either-Or Choices
Definition - Also known as ultimatums. Either-Or arguments suggest that there is only one answer to a particular problem or that there is only one possible cause for a particular action.

Example: Either we take the war to them, or they will almost certainly bring it to us

C
Dogmatism
Definition - Assuming that truth is evident to those who know better and that arguments against the position are void.

Example: Of course, it is important that we legalize marijuana. It would be silly to argue otherwise.

D
Non-Sequitur
Definition - Translates as “does not follow.” Non-Sequitur arguments occur when writers skip a step in the logical process, unwittingly comparing or combining unrelated ideas.

Example: Do you walk to school or do you carry your lunch?

Example: We know why it rained today: because I washed my car.

Example: I don't care what you say. We don't need any more bookshelves. As long as the carpet is clean, we are fine.

_______
I think coffee is bad for people, and that’s that. I don’t care what you have to say about the subject

_______
Do you want a mayor who is soft on crime? No! So vote for me!

_______
If those protesters loved their country, they wouldn’t question the government.

_______
Either you decide that you can afford this stereo, or you decide you are going to do without music for a while.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience: Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX 50%

C/Dogmatism: I think coffee is bad for people, and that’s that. I don’t care what you have to say about the subject. ,

A/The Straw Man: Do you want a mayor who is soft on crime? No! So vote for me!,

D/Non Sequitur: If those protesters loved their country, they wouldn’t question the government.,

B/Either-Or Choice: Either you decide that you can afford this stereo, or you decide you are going to do without music for a while.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Mr. Atkinson,

I just posted two assignments would you be able to help me with them..

IL Moro

Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for thinking of me, but both questions are in categories I am not certified to answer.

I wish you well in your studies.