Susan Athena
Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
12809769

I need help with creating queries and relationships within

I need help with creating queries and relationships within a database that is already developed and it also needs to be formalized to third form 3NF. It is due by Saturday @10:00 pm today!!! I have the database saved to my hard drive. Is there a place where I can upload the information? I also need a Visio ERD for the database.
Hi. Thanks for your question!

I might be able to help. What database software are you working with?

What time zone are you in?

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Access database and I'm central standard time

OK. Can you please post the database and the assignment details to a filesharing site like sendspace.com? Once I have a look I can let you know if I can assist.

Does your ERD diagram need to be in any specific style (eg crow's foot)?

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will upload it to sendspace.com and the ERD needs to be normalized to 3NF. The database is already put together and I was having trouble formalizing it to 3NF and I had trouble with the queries and relationships. I need the database to be normalized as well

OK, once you put it on Sendspace, please put the Sharing URL here so I can retrieve it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I decided to upload on wikisend.com instead and here is the link of the database.

http://wikisend.com/download/135128/Tables+for+Huffman1.mdb

Hm, do you have the description of the assignment containing the specification for the database and descriptions of the fields in each table?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The following assignment is based on the database environment chosen and created in the Week Three Individual Assignment.

Your database project must meet the following assessment requirements:

Design and develop a database using professional principles and standards.

• Provide a logical and physical design of the database.

• Use relational database software application to develop database.

• Provide an entity relationship diagram.

• Normalize the database.

• Generate and provide test data.

Use a Microsoft® Visio® diagram to normalize the ERD to third normal form (3NF).

Use the Microsoft® Access® database created in Week Three to create a minimum of 10 rows of test data in each table. Also, create at least one query that joins two tables and returns values from both tables.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

However I just found out that I need at least three queries instead of one
OK, thank you. So you weren't given field definitions?

In order to see if the database is normalized, it's important that I know what the fields do.

There's a lot of date information, but I can't tell if you can calculate any of the dates from the others. For example - the Vehicles table has a field called "Last Maintenance Date". If all maintenance is done through the Work Orders, then that date should be the same as the latest "Date Completed" date in the "Maintenance Work Orders" table. For a normalized database, we'd remove that field from the Vehicles table.

Similarly, your Parts Catalogue table has "Price of Parts" and "Tax". If you can calculate the tax directly from the price, then we should remove that field from the table for normalization.

There may be others like this.

I also have a number of tables with fields that may or may not be keys that join to a different table. If they're supposed to join, I can't see how.

Tire_Maintenance.Tire_Barcode
Tire_Maintenance.Part_Number
Parts_Inventory_Purchases.Category_Id
Parts_Catalog.Barcode
Maintenance_Descriptions.Level_Code
Maintenance_Descriptions.Parts_Number (probably supposed to join to Parts Catalog primary key - please confirm)

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there are no definitions. Thank u for tackling this because I need as much hell as I can get at this point! :)

If changes needs to be made please feel free to do so.

Thanks
OK, well, it may not be completely normalized then, because with normalization you're always making assumptions about whether certain types of data will always be the same. I'll make my best guess. It's already pretty normalized. I made a few design changes to avoid repeated data, and now will work on an ERD diagram.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thanks!
Thanks for your patience!

Your database is here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dozoew

And the Visio is here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/exf19m

I think the structure of the database is sound, but some of the data is bad. There are joins where the keys don't match up, so queries won't give sensible results. I had to change some of the data types (e.g. numbers stored as text) to get the joins to work at all.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay wow. I will look at it when I get home. Thank you for you efforts if I have any questions I will let you know.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.